Rodd Keith - Like The Lord Said

Phil Shields

Took me many years to track one down...absolute Stafford anthem for Guy.H.

I used to give it a hammering at the CSC/Dome to good effect as well.

Now cue the haters due to it's dodgy lyric and religious leanings...the non-believers!

(Not for sale.)

:yes:

post-9555-0-32336600-1414847969_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Didn't he record quite a few records on preview though? This was one I tried to go after in the earlier days of ebay and never had any joy but seem to remember quite a few other tracks by him on the same label. I have a 45 on Preview by him in a box somewhere, slightly bizarre record, little bit like "Like the Lord Said"............idiosyncratic is the word that springs to mind.

Social source share

Didn't he record quite a few records on preview though? This was one I tried to go after in the earlier days of ebay and never had any joy but seem to remember quite a few other tracks by him on the same label. I have a 45 on Preview by him in a box somewhere, slightly bizarre record, little bit like "Like the Lord Said"............idiosyncratic is the word that springs to mind.

Yes mate he recorded loads on the Preview label,  by himself and also with the Raindrops also recorded alot with him on the one side and somebody else on the other.  I think he was primarily known as a poet or something,  perhaps a Craig Charles type character :wicked::thumbsup:

and perhaps was the reason that the Preview label existed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes mate he recorded loads on the Preview label,  by himself and also with the Raindrops also recorded alot with him on the one side and somebody else on the other.  I think he was primarily known as a poet or something,  perhaps a Craig Charles type character :wicked::thumbsup:

and perhaps was the reason that the Preview label existed.

No what it was; Preview was a label that advertised song-poem facilities where for a fee, you could send them your poems and (however bad they were) they would make it into a proper record.  Rodd Keith was the main artist and recorded hundreds of these records.  At least four have the same backing as Like The Lord Said.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

first copy came out of rob smith's shop  I found it upstairs while sorting stock for him when I worked there .it came from a large collection of mainly l.a. soul records that rob had recently brought for a local soul collector . that was late 78 rob played it out at local notts venues till guy brought it from him  . :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Now cue the haters due to it's dodgy lyric and religious leanings...the non-believers!

(Not for sale.)

:yes:

Seriously, are people still so narrow minded as to allow something so small get in the way of the power of a soul tune delivered with a gospel intensity? Pretty sad if that's still the case.

Social source share

Seriously, are people still so narrow minded as to allow something so small get in the way of the power of a soul tune delivered with a gospel intensity? Pretty sad if that's still the case.

indeed.

may the lord have mercy on their souls.

Social source share

first copy came out of rob smith's shop  I found it upstairs while sorting stock for him when I worked there .it came from a large collection of mainly l.a. soul records that rob had recently brought for a local soul collector . that was late 78 rob played it out at local notts venues till guy brought it from him  . :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  

Well Steve, I know we've had this conversation before but from my experience of record collecting this has to be the rarest record I own by a country mile. Mine came straight from the U.S. of A  around year 2000 and have never heard of one for sale since. No copies on Popsike. Good luck in your search Phil and as for value? Who knows? post-8742-0-53204300-1414961246_thumb.jp

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well Steve, I know we've had this conversation before but from my experience of record collecting this has to be the rarest record I own by a country mile. Mine came straight from the U.S. of A  around year 2000 and have never heard of one for sale since. No copies on Popsike. Good luck in your search Phil and as for value? Who knows? 

I was once in touch with the guys behind the Song Poem website mentioned within this thread...they didn't have a copy, so I sent them scans. The pressing numbers for the Preview (and associated) label were very low and distribution almost non-existent...maybe the few copies remaining out there on US shelves are filed under Gospel and thus have eluded Soul collectors not digging deep enough...if indeed there are any out there still to be found?!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Covered up as Kenny Smith "And The Lord Said"........the Lordy bit being the Kenny Smith connection no doubt.

Cheers,

Mark R.

Hi Mark that's correct when I found it Rob was quick of the mark to say it wasn't for sale and said what can we cover it up as , hence the lord connection leading to it being covered as Kenny smith. I later brought the same copy back from Guy when he eventually sold it would be late 84 as I also brought a few other bits from him at the time. it's in my top 20 in echoes from that time for rock city and the palias  Saturday nite sessions .Like John say's iv'ehad the conversation with him a few times and I only seen two other copies for sale in the last 15 or so years. The copy I had of Guy eventually went to Tony clayton along with Little John " wait and see" and Betty Turner " wind s kept laughing " that would be late 87 .

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Always loved it AND the Kindly Shepherds (and indeed Eddie Kendricks' He's A Friend, though I choose to assign different meaning to the lyrics) and am a rabid atheist - it doesn't stop being brilliant record just because of the sky fairy lyrics.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Mark that's correct when I found it Rob was quick of the mark to say it wasn't for sale and said what can we cover it up as , hence the lord connection leading to it being covered as Kenny smith. I later brought the same copy back from Guy when he eventually sold it would be late 84 as I also brought a few other bits from him at the time. it's in my top 20 in echoes from that time for rock city and the palias  Saturday nite sessions .Like John say's iv'ehad the conversation with him a few times and I only seen two other copies for sale in the last 15 or so years. The copy I had of Guy eventually went to Tony clayton along with Little John " wait and see" and Betty Turner " wind s kept laughing " that would be late 87 .

Alright Steve?  Remember that bootleg back then?  Enchantments one side and Rodd Keith on t'other?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Yeah I've got the Gloria take and I also think it is better but i do have very fond memories of "and the Lord said" somebody told me that you could send him lyrics and he would set them to music usually to the tune of and the lord said 

Social source share

while talking preview records,

got this off ebay many moons ago, don't really play it never seen another, not on popsike etc

milford perkins - that's what I want - preview 1185 anyone know it?

remember playing it at John A "s, one of our record nights after the "lord said" was surprised by his response that he liked it, he was drunk though....lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From the sublime to the....

any ideas on value for his "Do the Pig" on Preview, ludicrous lyrics for a dance craze record but gets in your head, not seen this around much at all

You may be pleased (as will others that took that YouTube clip!) that this uptempo backing track was also utilised with an altogether different (and more sensible!) lyric called, "She Loves Like Crazy".

:)

Social source share

In the sleeve notes to the goldmine CD Stafford story. John Pugh says it was first played off an acetate before a vinyl copy turned up. This seems contradictory to what's been said above. can that be right?

He's mistaken John first copy defo Rob Smith shop it came from a Nottingham soul collector Mick Gordon from Beeston good friend of John Poole, The late Andy Lee. there was some great stuff in the collection including a full run of Mirwood demo's a Jackie Beavers on revilot plus a load of Renfro stuff :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A seriously rare record seldom seen for sale so very difficult to value. Gloria has been up for grabs a couple of times in the last year or two. I found three of Rodd's 45's in New York in the summer but left them there as they lacked the necessary ingredient. Have seen other records by him in Portland and Austin but left them behind, one being cracked and the other was just really odd. I think we are seeing an increase in old collections finding their way into US record stores so there is hope that copies of 'The Lord Said' will turn up...

Social source share

You may be pleased (as will others that took that YouTube clip!) that this uptempo backing track was also utilised with an altogether different (and more sensible!) lyric called, "She Loves Like Crazy".

:)

"You're leaving me" has the same backing as Pig and is my favourite Rodd Keith track, that I have heard, hence it's usually in my playbox. While "Gloria" and "Like the lord said" are good I prefer the earlier "Don't you tempt me" version. Could be wrong but appears to be just as rare as Lord too. If I get a chance will post a sound clip. 

Edited by Des Crombie
Social source share

its very rare and its 1500-2000 nowadays if it went to auction it might go for more attempted in the 90's to get one but quoted 700-1000 for it Phil a real tough one slightly rarer than Narbay,Al Williams, Salvadors,Eddie Parker the list is endless!!!!!!!!!.......

I'd have to agree it is more likely a four figure item these days, especially seeing some of the records fetch huge amounts that are nowhere near as rare.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!