Are You One?

ulyssees

No and not been for years, to me a Northern Soulie is the baggies badges and whatever, a thing of the 70s, a time gone, if thats your bag, excuse the pun then thats fine, but for me times and fashion has moved on i like what i like old and new and whatevers inbetween, or if you want to tag me just call me a soulie

Social source share

No and not been for years, to me a Northern Soulie is the baggies badges and whatever, a thing of the 70s, a time gone, if thats your bag, excuse the pun then thats fine, but for me times and fashion has moved on i like what i like old and new and whatevers inbetween, or if you want to tag me just call me a soulie

Sure when Dave Godin coined the phrase he was referring to the type of music rather than the attire? :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sure when Dave Godin coined the phrase he was referring to the type of music rather than the attire? :g:

Wasnt it all part of the same thing, if you liked the music you wore the clothes or at least i did in 1976 as a 16 year old  

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I was the only teenage kid from 'the village' who broke out and travelled to Soul Clubs, Proud to be a Soulie 40 years later. Once got a train with a load of Leeds football hooligans, and remember the comment "Leave him, you don't mess with Soulies"

Social source share

Wasnt it all part of the same thing, if you liked the music you wore the clothes or at least i did in 1976 as a 16 year old

The clothes were the clothes of the time and generally speaking weren't specifically associated with the music. Naturally there were those that customised clothing to make it unique but the overall look in the mid 70's was pretty much what everyone else was wearing.

All the lads I knew who were into Deep Purple Kiss and Quo dressed just the same as the rest if us when they were on a night out.

Edited by Shaun W
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The clothes were the clothes of the time and generally speaking weren't specifically associated with the music. Naturally there were those that customised clothing to make it unique but the overall look in the mid 70's was pretty much what everyone else was wearing.

All the lads I new who were into Deep Purple Kiss and Quo dressed just the same as the rest if us when they were on a night out.

Well not round here they didnt they all wore denims and had long hair and smelt of pitcholi :yes:

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Rocker Divvies wore RAF greatcoats, Loon trousers and grubby white pumps. Topped with greasy long hair and a Led Zep album under one arm. Then there were Disco Divs, who wore platform shoes, flares and 'simon shirts' topped with a centre parting, usually outside the local Roxy disco, bleeding heavily. Then there were us, usually on a train out of there !

Social source share

Guest welshruss

I was the only teenage kid from 'the village' who broke out and travelled to Soul Clubs, Proud to be a Soulie 40 years later. Once got a train with a load of Leeds football hooligans, and remember the comment "Leave him, you don't mess with Soulies"

That's interesting that statement - I had it thrown at me once (a crew from Bristol).....but,yes,doesnt bother me carrying the label.most people know anyway. 

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Bristol. Stars and Stripes Yate. bloody hell, went once, getting there was a nightmare. not exactly the friendliest place, ok once you were in.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Bit of Northern, Bit of Modern, Bit of Soulful House, Bit of Crossover, Bit of Ska, Bit of Rocksteady & more so I guess not.

Why oh why would I want to pigeonhole myself to just one genre of music when there is so much more out there.

That's the point though isn't it mate? Northern soul has never been about one genre of music. I can dance to funk, garage, soul, 60s pop, etc... at a 'northern soul' night, even soulful house. A bit of the old Sunburst Band for example. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Good to see there are not too many dissenters.

Maybe those that distance themselves from the notion of being a 'Northern Souler' are so because of the more recent representation of the term/scene by the media.

And yet even the most progressive elements of the music scene via the ideology and ethos of the 'Rare Soul Scene' still comes under the general banner of Northern Soul.

And that ought to transcend any negativity associated with the identification of a Northern Souler.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jaco

I'm one of the dissenters & I think you make some great points,some are correct for me some aren't.My comments weren't made lightly & aren't just a grumpy owld git's moan(like most of my comments on here are :lol:).I desperately want to feel I belong & have tried to hang on as long as possible but as the things I've taken for granted about the "northern scene" forever seem not to matter these days or even worse frowned upon or ridiculed.I feel as if I have very little in common with the majority of the "northern scene" so by definition doesn't that make me something else???I'm sad I even feel that way & take no pleasure in my comments but that's how I see things these days. I'll still be out most weekends doing what I do........I'll just have to think of a new name for what I am(no suggestions you lot :ohmy:),just what the scene needs another "Pigeon-hole" :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Martyn         

Hey Martyn, hang on in there dude. Remember Northern has always been a very broad church and what goes around comes around! I listen to some of the stuff posted on here and think WTF? It doesn't take away from my equally valid (though minority) opinion that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Keep the faith mate and remember - when you were young EVERYBODY thought you were nuts just for liking this music anyway :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hey Martyn, hang on in there dude. Remember Northern has always been a very broad church and what goes around comes around! I listen to some of the stuff posted on here and think WTF? It doesn't take away from my equally valid (though minority) opinion that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Keep the faith mate and remember - when you were young EVERYBODY thought you were nuts just for liking this music anyway :)

I don't have a problem been in the minority & really I think me & the smaller crowd of my ilk are keeping the faith (not a massive fan of the saying) more then most but what I've been trying to say all be it not very well is I now don't fit into the perceived view of "northern soul" The fact that the general perception by most isn't right I can't do anything about,so I'll just jolly along doing what I do & let the majority get on with what they are doing :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

in life we aim for a gold, some make it some dont . when i was young i took the side road, Northern Soul ally, at first i wanted to get out of the ally on to the main road, but i couldnt find the exit, not bothered anymore why i met some wonderful people, and the music is unbelievable, mind you i got a lot of questions to ask my maker, but unfortunately i cant pass them down , no regrets cheers billy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

no, mainly because Northern Soul is a term that has been taken by the nostalgia scene which has risen over the last decade or more and it represents something far away from what I view Northern Soul to be. If I'm asked I now say Rare Soul. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!