Who's Got The Tommy & The Derby's On Kool.? "going Back To Houston"

KevH

"Funny" story about the one that was on ebay a few years ago...guy and I agreed on a buy it now at a fixed fair price, off he went to change the settings on his listing, texted me when he was ready, before I could log onto ebay a certain fella going by the name Nev bought it. Strange world of Rare Soul collecting or should I say trading but this exact copy then finally did find its way to me via one trade. It will stay here forever as far as I am concerned. Think Kevin lifted his file off one ebay listing but do know one other collector in the uk who has it. Wont name him though as I dont think he would like to read his name here in this context.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Funny" story about the one that was on ebay a few years ago...guy and I agreed on a buy it now at a fixed fair price, off he went to change the settings on his listing, texted me when he was ready, before I could log onto ebay a certain fella going by the name Nev bought it. Strange world of Rare Soul collecting or should I say trading but this exact copy then finally did find its way to me via one trade. It will stay here forever as far as I am concerned. Think Kevin lifted his file off one ebay listing but do know one other collector in the uk who has it. Wont name him though as I dont think he would like to read his name here in this context.

Yes ,you're right Marc,i shouldn't really ask,in case the collector wants to remain anonymous. All good fun though.

Social source share

Related?  As in discussion or that Tommy & The Derbys on Swing and Kool are the same and that they are the Carpets as well?  I don't see any conclusive proof though just educated guess work.  One thing for sure it isn't Tommy Tate on the Kool 45.   Me I think the names are just a coincidence until proven otherwise.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

This is what Jim O'Neal posted a few days ago on the Southern Soul newsgroup:

"Thomas "Tutty" Gadson, who fronted the Kansas City band The Derbys (Derby's), aka Tommy & the Derbys, died Oct. 26. He was struck by a car after leaving a club in Los Angeles. He and the Derbys recorded for Central, Moneytown, KC and Kool. I interviewed him once a number of years ago when I did not know about the "other" Tommy & the Derbys (the Tommy Tate group from Jackson)."

And:

"Tommy was James Gadson's brother. They were both in the Derbys, and before that, the Carpets. Marva [Whitney] sang with the Derbys before she was with James Brown."

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Two thru ebay, one only showing via popsike though. Which is the one we both traded Nev.

Have you got a link to the one you noticed being for sale on here, seems as if I am too stupid to find it via the search tool myself ?

Never heard Mark Dobson playing this out.   

It may not have been Mark but pretty sure I've heard it at Lifeline.

Social source share

Two thru ebay, one only showing via popsike though. Which is the one we both traded Nev.

Have you got a link to the one you noticed being for sale on here, seems as if I am too stupid to find it via the search tool myself ?

Never heard Mark Dobson playing this out.

Yes ,two thru eBay,but it was on YouTube, with scan ,long before Craig Moerer put the first one on eBay,so i assume someone else had to have it ,to post it up ,which is where I had three on eBay ...the guy who sold it on here is from the Texas area ,so it was a new copy he had

Social source share

No it isn't Tommy Tate and a different Derbys to the Swing release

The youtube channel is Kev Higham's so maybe he has it too. There is at least one other out there.

Don't think Kev has one ,but he has just about everything else lol

Will have to ask him where he got the YouTube scan and sound from as I'm sure he did it before eBay copy ,unless someone else posted it on YouTube earlier ..

I first became aware of it when it was posted on Facebook and then Steve Green put a want on here for a copy .

Social source share

Don't think Kev has one ,but he has just about everything else lol

Will have to ask him where he got the YouTube scan and sound from as I'm sure he did it before eBay copy ,unless someone else posted it on YouTube earlier ..

I first became aware of it when it was posted on Facebook and then Steve Green put a want on here for a copy .

Kev never had a copy at time of doing his recording on YouTube but wouldn't suprise me if he had a copy now.

Social source share

Yes ,two thru eBay,but it was on YouTube, with scan ,long before Craig Moerer put the first one on eBay,so i assume someone else had to have it ,to post it up ,which is where I had three on eBay ...the guy who sold it on here is from the Texas area ,so it was a new copy he had

I had a sound file for a long time, don't recall where I got it from or who but I posted it online before it was on Youtube.

Social source share

I had a sound file for a long time, don't recall where I got it from or who but I posted it online before it was on Youtube.

If only people took notice eh ...mind you ,iI would never post up a sound file of a great and rare 45 before I found one lol

P.s it wasnt kev ,it was a guy called Nicknicola who posted it up a yr before and Vicky or Steve via Vicky left a comment at the time ..which was only 3yr back .

Social source share

This is what Jim O'Neal posted a few days ago on the Southern Soul newsgroup:

"Thomas "Tutty" Gadson, who fronted the Kansas City band The Derbys (Derby's), aka Tommy & the Derbys, died Oct. 26. He was struck by a car after leaving a club in Los Angeles. He and the Derbys recorded for Central, Moneytown, KC and Kool. I interviewed him once a number of years ago when I did not know about the "other" Tommy & the Derbys (the Tommy Tate group from Jackson)."

And:

"Tommy was James Gadson's brother. They were both in the Derbys, and before that, the Carpets. Marva [Whitney] sang with the Derbys before she was with James Brown."

Amazing and sad at the same time.!! RIP Tommy Gadson. This what its all about, ,,,joining the dots.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If only people took notice eh ...mind you ,iI would never post up a sound file of a great and rare 45 before I found one lol

P.s it wasnt kev ,it was a guy called Nicknicola who posted it up a yr before and Vicky or Steve via Vicky left a comment at the time ..which was only 3yr back .

Nicknicola likes his latino / sweet /doowop i believe .?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was a discussion in a group on the raresoulforum or FB I think 3 or 4 years ago. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Related?  As in discussion or that Tommy & The Derbys on Swing and Kool are the same and that they are the Carpets as well?  I don't see any conclusive proof though just educated guess work.  One thing for sure it isn't Tommy Tate on the Kool 45.   Me I think the names are just a coincidence until proven otherwise.

it was a fair guess... Look mate I'm just a fan, obviously I know buggar all... but I'm happy to put up threads about stuff that I find interesting...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was a discussion in a group on the raresoulforum or FB I think 3 or 4 years ago. 

3 or 4 ..come on Chalky 12 months is a bloody long time ,you gotta be more precise :g: 

3 was youtube ..that would make it a draw at the mo ..not that it really matters like  :)

Social source share

it was a fair guess... Look mate I'm just a fan, obviously I know buggar all... but I'm happy to put up threads about stuff that I find interesting...

I realsie that I was simply questioning the relation between the two Tommy's when they don't sound remotely like each other.  At least the question has been answered.

Social source share

3 or 4 ..come on Chalky 12 months is a bloody long time ,you gotta be more precise :g:

3 was youtube ..that would make it a draw at the mo ..not that it really matters like  :)

If it didn't matter then why comment?  The video above is just over 2 years, June 2012.  Like I said the discussion was before this video was posted, when I'm not really bothered.  

Social source share

If it didn't matter then why comment?  The video above is just over 2 years, June 2012.  Like I said the discussion was before this video was posted, when I'm not really bothered.  

Was just tugging the chain ,but seen as you mentioned it , the youtube clip that alerted us to it first ,was actually 3 yrs back by Nicknicola ..Kev's was obviously done after the Craig moerer copy surfaced a yr later .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!