Rafa Soul Club Aycliffe - Sean Tasker And Paul Ackley 1St November 2014

• Replies 9
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Aaron Darcy

THE RAFA CLUB 1st NOVEMBER 2014 SERIOUS SHADES OF SOUL — NORTHERN SOUL NIGHT.

Special guest DJ was Sean Tasker from Newcastle Upon Tyne, Sean has been living in the North East for a number of years now and going from his playlists on the night why hasn’t he been at the RAFA club before now?????????

Sean arrived real early with his lovely wife Gwen and the pair of them settled in really well with the RAFA club crowd and Sean agreed to do 2 sets on the night but before he took to the decks we had an interloper taking control of the” wheels of steel” whilst Paul was at the bar and there she stayed for one hour — Karen Shoulder just played to the early punters through the doors and such a good job she was doing, well.... we just left her to it. This is what she played, just cos’ she likes them....

Karen Shoulder 7.30 — 8.30pm

1. The Falcons — Love look in her eyes — Big Wheel
  2. Betty Lloyd — I’m catching on — BSC
  3. The Falcons — Love you like you’ve never been loved before — Big Wheel
  4. Jackie Wilson — Because of you — Brunswick
  5. Brown Sugar — The game is over — Capitol
  6. Lee Williams and the Cymbals — It’s everhting about you (that I love) — Carnival
  7. The Topics — Hey Girl (where are you going) — Chadwick
  8. Patrice Holloway — Stolen hours — Capitol
  9. Beverly and the Del-Capris — Mama I think I’m in love — Columbia
  10. The Debonaires — How’s your new love treating you — Golden World
  11. The Four Tracks — Like my love for you — Mandingo
  12. The Tan Geers — What’s the use of me trying — Okeh
  13. Bobby Hutton — Come see what’s left of me — Phillips
  14. Beverly Shaffer — Where will you be boy? — One-Derful
  15. Bee Jays — I’ll find you — Prime
  16. The Checkmates Ltd. — All alone by the telephone — Polydor
  17. Velvelettes — These things will keep me loving you — Soul
  18. Jack Montgomery — Dearly beloved — Scepter
  19. Brenda Holloway — When I’m gone — Tamla
  20. Jackey Beavers — Love that never grows old — Revilot
  21. Carstairs — it really hurts me girl — Red Coach

How good was that little lot eh? Well done Karen — I taught you well mmmmmmmmmm...

Sean Tasker our main guest DJ Agreed to do 2 sets and this was his first offerings on the night.

Sean Tasker 8.30 — 9.15pm

1. The Dynells — Let me prove that I love you — Blueberry
  2. Rhonda Davis — Can you remember — Duke
  3. Rick Sheppard — Can we share it — Columbia
  4. Johnnie Mae Matthews — I have no choice — Big Hit (eveyone’s fave Detroit #)
  5. Tommy Navarro — I cried my life away — De Jac
  6. Almetta Lattimore — These memories — Mainstream (crossover heaven)
  7. 100% Pure Poison — You keep coming back — EMI
  8. 7 miles an hour band  Playing your game — Music City
  9. The Casanova Two — We got to keep on — Early Bird (Kev Cane’s fave from the early days)
  10. Frederick Hymes III — Time ain’t gonna do me no favour — Fab Vegas ( was big for Kev Cowey)
  11. Ivories — please stay — Despenza
  12. The Masqueraders — I ain’t gonna stop — AGP
  13. The Ellusions — You didn’t have to leave me — Lamon (Station Road monster)
  14. Maxine Brown — Let me give you my loving — Wand
  15. The Isonics — Sugar — Kammy
  16. Melvin Brown & James Matthews — Love stormy weather — Philmore Sound (mega sound)

What a superb start to the night from Sean, well what can follow? Paul Ackleyy that’s what...

Paul Ackley 9.15 — 10.00pm

1. Billy Bird — Lost in the crowd — Scream
  2. Belita Woods c/up — tell me baby — C/U
  3. Carla Thomas c/up — Say it — C/U
  4. Vivienne Jones — Money can’t buy my love — Lark (Oooohhhh!!!)
  5. Louise Whitney — Got to keep on — Whiz
  6. Tamala Lewis — You won’t say nothing — Marton (Another monster from The Emp’)
  7. Charlene and the soul serenaders — Can you win — Volt ( on everyone’s wants)
  8. Paul Vann — One track mind — Chance
  9. Flash McKinley — I’ll rescue you — Bombay (Paul S’s  fave...)
  10. The Sensations — Demanding man — Way Out
  11. New Wanderers — Aint gonna do you no harm — Ready
  12. Tommy and the Derbys — Don’t play the role — Swing
  13. Fortson & Scott — Sweet Lover — Pzazz
  14. Robert Tanner — Sweet Memories — Megatone ( can it get any better)
  15. The Earles — Everybody’s got somebody — Tee Ti
  16. Donald Thomas — Calling me home — PMRC (see the text below about this track tinternet is amazing — AND WHAT AN AMAZING RECORD ESPECIALLY THE PAUSES IN THE TRACK WITH DONALDS DEEP DEEP VOCALS — WHAOH — 3.38 sec on crossover bliss, get it on youtube and revel in it’s brilliance!!!)

“My name is Don A. Lackey and PMRC was and is my company.  I started PMRC back in college, and we produced, managed and recorded a number of individuals and groups.  This particular song was brought to me on a cold winter day by Donald Thomas.  He had the words mostly written out, and no other concept of how the song should go, tempo, chord changes or melody. He had no recording or professional music experience at that time. I gauged him to have a lot of potential, and so made a modest investment in my time and production money to put a recording session together.  I regret that I have lost track of Donald Thomas over the years, and have askED other folks in the Beaumont area about him several times, to no avail.  Back to the song,  I put all the rest together, including the arrangements, strings and rhythm section.  I played guitar on the cut.  It was recorded at Mickey Rouse's Lowland Recording Studio in Port Neches, Texas, and Mickey engineered the session. As I remember, we used the equivalent of a 4 track recorder be bouncing some tracks on two-track recorders. Mickey did not have a four-track up and running yet.  I can vouch for the fact that this recording IS original and indeed RARE.   Please feel free to contact me, should anyone want any other information.  PMRCmedia@Gmail.com

Don Lackey, Katy, Texas.

1. Carl Hall — What about you — Columbia

Well that’s that for session # 1 from Sean and Paul, so to give them a little break Paul Shoulder up next for 30mins. And as he said on the night “ me now for the next ½ hour — so if you want to go home to feed the dog or get a Kebab, then, now’s the time to do it”

Paul Shoulder 10.00 — 10.30pm

1. Robert Parker — I caught you in a lie — Nola
  2. Glen Miller — Where is the love — Dr Bird
  3. Paul Varisco — Tell me where love goes — Kapp
  4. Barbara Lynn — I don’t want a playboy — Tribe
  5. Mack Rice — I’m coming home — Lu Pine
  6. Sonny Til — Hey, Little woman — Charlie Parker Records
  7. The Vanguards — Good Times, Bad Times — Lamp
  8. The Martells — Where can my baby be — A La Carte
  9. Soulful Twins — Can’t let you go — Sable
  10. Fantastic Four — Live up to what she thinks — Ric Tic
  11. Continental Showstoppers — Not too young — Seventy Seven
  12. Joe Hicks — Don’t it make you feel funky — AGC

A bit of an interlude there so back to the main guys on the night....

Sean Tasker 10.30 — 11.30pm

1. Natural Four — I thought you were mine — ABC
  2. Stevens and Foster — I want to be love — Jerri
  3. Seville — Show me the way — KAYO (superb mid pace modern dancer out of washington DC..withdrawn due to the bands name change)
  4. Tavasco — Love is trying to get a hold of me — Rampart
  5. Soul Bros Inc. — Pyramid  - Golden Eye ( stills fill the floor and reaching such a big audience now, covered up as Mel Britt at Stafford from years ago... how ahead of it’s time was that place and the dj’s... mega guys)
  6. Soul Communicators — Those lonely nights — Fee Bee
  7.  The Tropics — Hey you little girl — Topic (first played by Butch in late 80’s? Commands cover up. The Tropics were one of the “Beach Bands from Washington & Lee University in Lexington VA.)
  8. Differences — Five Minutes — Mon’ca  - old Mick Jackson (Darlington) play  bliss crossover
  9. Brand New — Thousand years — Du Vern ( 1976 magic from Brand New, recorded in Florida)
  10. Wee - Try me — Owl (Sam play from years ago, The Guv,nor for sure)
  11. Bobby Rich — There’s a girl somewhere — Sambea
  12. Patrinelle Staten — Little Love Affair — Sepia
  13. The Moments — You said — Deep
  14. The Ascots — A few feet from the gutter — American Playboy
  15. Lil Major Williams — Girl don’t leave me — Palladium (Paul Ackley thrashed this to bits and it’s finally getting recognition in the NE)
  16. Bad Weather Inc — I never knew — Bad Weather (play for Carl Willingham at the Cumby, our old venue decad ago)
  17. The Montclairs — Hey you — Arch
  18. The Mark IV — If you can’t tell me something good — Brite Lite (fab modern soul. Cheers Sean)
  19. Corey Blake — How can I go on without you — Capitol
  20. Jeanie Tracey — Making new Friends — Brown Door (old last hour spin at The Mecca and revived at Thorne in the 90’s one we all missed)
  21. The Constellations — I don’t know about you — Gemini  - final track from Sean and one of the most beautiful Northern Soul record ever made. Thanks Sean for everything you put into the night

Folks , just book the guy.........

Paul Ackley — 11.30 — 12.30am and close

1. Magnetics — Count the days — Sable
  2. Sweets — Something ‘bout my baby — Soul Town
  3. Jimmie Bo’ Horne — I just can’t speak — Dade
  4. Betty Wilson — I’m yours — Dayco
  5. Eddie Billups — Ask my heart — Peachtree
  6. Appointments — I saw you there — De-Lite
  7. Milton Parker — Women Like it harder — Closet
  8. Poets — Wrapped around your finger — J-2
  9. Marteniques — If you wat to call me — Reo
  10. Karmello Brooks — Tell me Baby — Milestone
  11. James Lately — Love Friends and money — Temple
  12. Buddy Smith — When you lose the one the one you love
  13. The Blendells — Do you mean — Dontee (Paul’s favourite play of the night)
  14. Young Bros — Baby — Soul Power
  15. Chuck Cockerham — Have I the right — Mala
  16. David Thomas — I’ll always need you — prime
  17. Little Al and the Maxydimes — Lonely days of my life — Shell
  18.  The Overtones — What would I do — Hip City (Delaware magic this 45)
  19. Upperhand Band — Get it together — Spy.

Well that’s that for another soulful night of entertainment .  £3.00 and a free CD of Most of Sean’s plays on the night. Next instalment is 6th December with DJ’s to be announced — fancy it Guys and Gals??? Call me........ The wine is calling and it’s getting late so the Sauvignon Blanc is gonna win.

Until next next time folks — take care and keep it soulful.

SOULBOYSLIM............

Paul Ackley  second set awesome  lots rare records in that lot 

Social source share

can't comment enough about fabulous varied playlists at some tremendous venues across the uk....particularly love viewing the one's from here ( along with horse & groom, doncaster etc ) it's what makes the scene endure...people really do have a wide choice...surely, that's got to be a good thing? :thumbsup: big up to paul & guests for keeping it real.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Proper sets! And a top club that reminds me of the Irish Club down under - thoroughly enjoyed my visits to NA (except that 3 hour slog through the UK's worst ever blizzard!)

Social source share

Some great tunes here :yes: , in fact not too many that doesn't get played at Pure soul, take for instance the blendells, I played this one on a one off Acetate lol

Keep up the good work with keeping the soul scene real :hatsoff2: 

Edited by tosspot
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert