Frankie (Love Man) Crocker Value

Doo Da

Guest Ivor Jones

Personally, I think this goes for more than this at the moment. I would say £300 for an Ex copy and about £350-400 for a mint one.

Not easy to find these days, they're all in collections aren't they.....

Social source share

Personally, I think this goes for more than this at the moment. I would say £300 for an Ex copy and about £350-400 for a mint one.

Not easy to find these days, they're all in collections aren't they.....

Spot on Ivor. No longer a £200 record as it rarely crops up. Recent auctions have been combative so a mint copy would go for £350 plus. Also on a few wants lists confirming scarcity in circulation. Been getting a few spins recently as the Wigan Wheel goes full circle...

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Spot on Ivor. No longer a £200 record as it rarely crops up. Recent auctions have been combative so a mint copy would go for £350 plus. Also on a few wants lists confirming scarcity in circulation. Been getting a few spins recently as the Wigan Wheel goes full circle...

Yep.... Thing is, it's not the sort of record that people tend to flog as a rule seemingly. Also, it just happens to sound right on the money these days alongside some of the funkier sort of sounds getting played. That's why it's commanding these sort of prices.

Plus of course it's great !

Always loved this one....

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello Pete. Let's just rewind a minute. The thread was started by someone asking the going rate for Ton Of Dynamite.

Corbett rated it @£250 , you said £200.

I genuinely think it's worth more than that at the moment for the reasons I stated in the thread.

It's got nothing to do with "hyping it up "either. I have no vested interest in what the record goes for, in fact I couldn't care less. I was merely giving my opinion to give another perspective on the price. It's also got nothing to do with John Manships auction price as well, why would it ?

I make my own mind up regarding prices based on what I see and hear going on. It's interesting though that you say you've had 5 in the last years. All out of collections ? Larry Saunders on the same label, now that is common. I don't think Frankie Crocker is though. You can sell them for whatever you please Pete, I bet the copy you sold for £175 didn't hang around though did it ......

Social source share

Hello Pete. Let's just rewind a minute. The thread was started by someone asking the going rate for Ton Of Dynamite.

Corbett rated it @£250 , you said £200.

I genuinely think it's worth more than that at the moment for the reasons I stated in the thread.

It's got nothing to do with "hyping it up "either. I have no vested interest in what the record goes for, in fact I couldn't care less. I was merely giving my opinion to give another perspective on the price. It's also got nothing to do with John Manships auction price as well, why would it ?

I make my own mind up regarding prices based on what I see and hear going on. It's interesting though that you say you've had 5 in the last years. All out of collections ? Larry Saunders on the same label, now that is common. I don't think Frankie Crocker is though. You can sell them for whatever you please Pete, I bet the copy you sold for £175 didn't hang around though did it ......

Well it didn't hang around because it wasn't offered to anyone else - I sold two huge collections to one guy - but I promise, if it was worth £300 I'd have asked £300.  John Manships auction copy went for over £400 - before that, it was a standard£150 to £250.  Thats why I mentioned it.

Social source share

Yep.... Thing is, it's not the sort of record that people tend to flog as a rule seemingly. Also, it just happens to sound right on the money these days alongside some of the funkier sort of sounds getting played. That's why it's commanding these sort of prices.

Plus of course it's great !

Always loved this one....

The auctioning of this record by John Manship confirms that it is in great demand but short supply, particularly in mint condition. Future auctions should realise well over £350 for the seller due to the apparent scarcity of the track. Many 70's biggies are going for higher than ever prices, such is the demand for classic oldies. Selling records at set-sale prices can guarantee a quick turnover and modest profits but that doesn't necessarily establish the actual value of them; it merely confirms cheaper records are easier to sell. This is a hard record to buy so worth paying handsomely for, the surcharge essentially being a finder's fee for coming up with the goods in great condition and putting you at the front of the queue to buy it.

Social source share

The auctioning of this record by John Manship confirms that it is in great demand but short supply, particularly in mint condition. Future auctions should realise well over £350 for the seller due to the apparent scarcity of the track. Many 70's biggies are going for higher than ever prices, such is the demand for classic oldies. Selling records at set-sale prices can guarantee a quick turnover and modest profits but that doesn't necessarily establish the actual value of them; it merely confirms cheaper records are easier to sell. This is a hard record to buy so worth paying handsomely for, the surcharge essentially being a finder's fee for coming up with the goods in great condition and putting you at the front of the queue to buy it.

The same was true back in '75, when I purchased what I believe was the 2nd copy in the U.K., which I paid £40 for and which everybody thought was crazy at the time. It was and is a killer record which never really dates. Also, I think it's pretty rare. I've never found a copy in the U.S. despite having connections in New York and people connected with Frankie Crocker. It's just such a great record to own and compared to other stuff, I think it's still pretty rare. Also, one of those records which once people get, they tend to keep. Not surprised at the price really. I'll take one @ £200 anytime Pete.  :thumbsup:

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Well it didn't hang around because it wasn't offered to anyone else - I sold two huge collections to one guy - but I promise, if it was worth £300 I'd have asked £300. John Manships auction copy went for over £400 - before that, it was a standard£150 to £250. Thats why I mentioned it.

I don't think that means anything then regarding the price. If you sold two "huge collections" to one guy( wouldn't be another record dealer by any chance would it ? ), then you're hardly likely to get the best price for it in my opinion. I know whenever I've bought anything in quantity, that's when you tend to get the best deals.

If you had listed the record Pete you'd probably have been asked for it many times over.

And it's only then you can judge if it's been priced right or not. Just my opinion of course,

Best, Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

I don't think that means anything then regarding the price. If you sold two "huge collections" to one guy( wouldn't be another record dealer by any chance would it ? ), then you're hardly likely to get the best price for it in my opinion. I know whenever I've bought anything in quantity, that's when you tend to get the best deals.

If you had listed the record Pete you'd probably have been asked for it many times over.

And it's only then you can judge if it's been priced right or not. Just my opinion of course,

Best, Ivor

No not a dealer, and I sold them for maximum price.  I could have spread them out over four or five months, or sold them in one go (well two) for exactly the same price.  It's a shame nobody got to see them, nothing mega but more or less every RCA demo, Tommy Bush, Syng McGowan, Frankie Crocker, Natural Four that sort of stuff.  I was asked that if I got any collections would I sell them to this person, no favours, so I did.  Probably appearing at a venue in Scotland soon.

p.s. if anyone would like to check this, first collection was from Rich Simner from Oxford, formerly from Wombourne, second was from Kev Preston of Telford, his son was seriously injured in an accident in Thailand so he asked me to sell his records to finance his trip out there and for medical care for his son, which I did, in 2 days.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Blimey... !

What horrible circumstances to have to sell your collection. Hope his lad is ok.

I don't blame you for selling them on as a job lot though, makes complete sense to me as long as you're happy with the price, it's got nothing to do with anyone else has it.....less work, it's a no brainier.

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Blimey... !

What horrible circumstances to have to sell your collection. Hope his lad is ok.

I don't blame you for selling them on as a job lot though, makes complete sense to me as long as you're happy with the price, it's got nothing to do with anyone else has it.....less work, it's a no brainier.

Best, Ivor

Well it kind of was and wasn't a job lot, I put them all on a spreadsheet, priced them individually, and the sum total was what I charged the buyer.  I was owed £2000 commission but under the circumstances I just took £500 so he had more money for his son.  Which is why I'll never make a businessman as long as I live (but I can sleep at night!)

Last thing I heard, the lad had the operation on his brain, was recovering and they were hoping to have him back in the UK round about now I think.

The only regret about selling two collections like that is I lost out on the publicity of having some truly brilliant records, nobody knew I had them so couldn't say 'did you see that list this week' but as mentioned before, they would all have had to be sold whether over a three month period or in one day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!