Northern Soul Top 50 1977

Here's a list of 50 of the scenes most popular records taken from Dave McCadden's " Soul time " fanzine in Jan 1977 .Would be interested in folks views on the sides listed , some have remained classic plays , others have fallen by the wayside .An interesting list anyway , I think .Best Wishes ,Eddie

northern_soul__top_50_jan_1977.jpg(post-

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Here's a list of 50 of the scenes most popular records taken from Dave McCadden's " Soul time " fanzine in Jan 1977 .Would be interested in folks views on the sides listed , some have remained classic plays , others have fallen by the wayside .An interesting list anyway , I think .Best Wishes ,Eddie

The golden age of Northern soul- What a list

Wouldnt play it now though- scene is very different ranting_1.gif

Social source share

That's a definite Wigan list for me. From the best ever period as well.

Only 4 of that entire 50 never got pressed, reissued or bootlegged!!!

Anyone spot them?

Pointer sisters is one? ranting_1.gif

Rotations?

Edited by Baz
Social source share

One more - never pressed or booted - sells for between 75 and 125 today

Shane Martin?

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Just out of interest what do you think the reaction would be if Johnny Williams got played out again?

I've just dug it out and been giving it a few spins.

I have to be honest and say I'd forgoten how good this is.

Social source share

Just realised how sad i am

Got 39 still, on originals

and had all but 4

rarest not to have

got to be The inspirations

Just out of interest what do you think the reaction would be if Johnny Williams got played out again?

I've just dug it out and been giving it a few spins.

I have to be honest and say I'd forgoten how good this is.

Always thought the sound quality on the Polydor re-issue was far superior

Social source share

That surprised me - I'd have said Jimmy Raye or Lynn Vernando.

Any advances? :yes:

==========

one you've all missed on there

i belong to you didnt come out on carla!!1

the instrumental did the gallop but not the vocal

the vocal came later on satiron a record i spun at the marrs bar all niter last weekend..

sorry just thought id mention that,,ive been on the diamond white again... :yes:

Social source share

==========

the vocal came later on satiron a record i spun at the marrs bar all niter last weekend..

sorry just thought id mention that,,ive been on the diamond white again... :yes:

========

DERRRRRRRRRRRRR

just read at the bottom of the list exactly what ive just said

err best go to bed,,,lol :yes:

Social source share

That's a definite Wigan list for me. From the best ever period as well.

Only 4 of that entire 50 never got pressed, reissued or bootlegged!!!

Anyone spot them?

Rotations

Black and Ward

Wayne Cochrane

Danny Wagner

[ However there is piece in a later issue of the mag that suggests Danny Wagner had been pressed in small quantitys though very hard to spot the difference between a real one or not ? ] Best ,Eddie

Social source share

That surprised me - I'd have said Jimmy Raye or Lynn Vernando.

Any advances? :yes:

Inspirations is still mega rare on original Tabs , 2 or 3 known copies ? You right about Johnny Williams , was thinking myself that this could go again . Yvonne Daniels must still be very rare ? Love to hear this out again .......Great memories tho ' Best ,Eddie

just started to go to wigan then, only one I cant remember is Black & Ward :yes:

That was one of Russ's , pretty modern for the time period . Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I think you mean " I'm a changed man " not " D- 9 " ? Best ,Eddie

Think you might be right Eddie as remember buying the boot blind...awful record IMO. It actually surprised me that D-9 was spun at wigan as remember hearing it for the first time in the mid 80's being spun by Roger Banks I think

Grant

Edited by grant
Social source share

Think you might be right Eddie as remember buying the boot blind...awful record IMO. It actually surprised me that D-9 was spun at wigan as remember hearing it for the first time in the mid 80's being spun by Roger Banks I think

Grant

I don't remember " D- 9 " at Wigan either Grant , even though I was going regularly at the time .Don't think it took off , or I'm sure it would've got booted .I've got one now , and it's a real fave of mine , think it's Mike " God " Terry burping his Baritone sax to great effect .Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Rotations

Black and Ward

Wayne Cochrane

Danny Wagner

[ However there is piece in a later issue of the mag that suggests Danny Wagner had been pressed in small quantitys though very hard to spot the difference between a real one or not ? ] Best ,Eddie

That was just a rumour Eddie, you know what DM was like...

Social source share

I don't remember " D- 9 " at Wigan either Grant , even though I was going regularly at the time .Don't think it took off , or I'm sure it would've got booted .I've got one now , and it's a real fave of mine , think it's Mike " God " Terry burping his Baritone sax to great effect .Best Wishes ,Eddie

I never heard it at Wigan either Eddie, and I used to bump into you most weeks :yes:

Black & Ward lasted quite a long time, I've got it on tapes from january through to May and then it vanished off the face of the earth.

As for The Inspirations - I actually had one in my hands last week. It's a one sided disc on an orange Breakthrough label.

Social source share

Johnny Williams I didn't include because it was being played as a new release.

Seem to remember Searling got some stick in Blues & Soul letters pages over this. He was accused of deliberately waiting until the record had been deleted before starting to play it.

Godz

Social source share

Seem to remember Searling got some stick in Blues & Soul letters pages over this. He was accused of deliberately waiting until the record had been deleted before starting to play it.

Godz

Don't remember that - it was certainly easy to come by (actually easier now) - though not on US, pretty hard to find on babylon label

Social source share

Don't remember that - it was certainly easy to come by (actually easier now) - though not on US, pretty hard to find on babylon label

Yeah, I think people were moaning because they couldn't go into their local shop and order it for a quid - they would have had to pay £1.25 from a dealer instead :yes:

Agree about Babylon copies being tougher so it must have shifted a fair few copies here in the UK. Mind you, whoever said Babylon sound qaulty was spot on. I've had a couple lately and they were both noisy styrene.

Godz

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hi Eddie,

that top 50 of 1977 has been up on 'martinsbox' website for quite a number of years with Dave's o.k.

Best Martin

Social source share

Godz

I remember it being hard to find for a short while before Polydor repressed some copies , I remeber that story in B & S as well . Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

That was just a rumour Eddie, you know what DM was like...

Yeah Dave was a bit of a wag wasn't he ? Remember his story about the supposed vocal to Guys from Uncle " The Spy " that he made up ? Read a report years later from someone who claimed to have actually heard it !! .In recent years Joe Boy did have it made of course .All great fun eh ? Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

==========

I have always thought of the satiron vocals to be a bit on the dodgy side?

they all appeared at the same time brand new

any advances

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!