Detroit Sounds Of Friction

Guest Awake 502

Searling also had a copy, Soul Bowl sold it around the time you sold up had it on the list for 150 quid along with the Combinations on Kimtone and Rosie Jones on Wicket. what year was that Dave?

I remember being down at Soul Bowl and saw the record on a pile as it was on the weekly list for the next day. John wouldn't sell it me that day, so made sure I was first on the phone the following day..    £12.00....  Played it at Cleethorpes etc but never really took offin the early 80's...

Social source share

Pokes old Mel Britt c/up from 77/78. Soul bowl had a handful shortly after at £25 each & i had 2, always remember Richard complaining to me at Snaith that John should have sold it to him first :wicked: , ive only ever found it in the states the one time & that was at the wonderful John Hillyards for $2 . Ive played it on & off since then but thankfully its never gone viral :lol:

Hi Arthur bought mine on the back of you playing it though it took a few years to get one!!! £60 from memory.

Must be over or around 25 years ago.

ATB Chris.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

AS I SAID MANY TIMES BEFORE, THIS WAS A ALL BLACK GROUP. DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS WHITE GROUP THEORY CAME FROM, BUT IT HAS BE MISLEADING PEOPLE FOR YEARS

Another one of those rumours that repeated often enough becomes 'fact' I guess.... Have to say I was always convinced he was a black singer....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 7 years later...

I have just found this thread as I am doing some work on lamp etc

I can tell you that in the Indianapolis Star they reported the sad passing of Herbert Williams Gibbs, Iii 

18 Aug 2021 — Louisville, KY – 78, Louisville, KY. Passed away on August 5, 2021. Herb was most remembered as the band leader and drummer of The Fabulous Moonlighters

On 11/11/2014 at 10:56, Dave Thorley said:

Yep just got the same from Abul this morning. He tells me they went on to working with Al Green's band. It's seems that Buddy was the main vocalist on the tracks

Herbert.jpeg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

what happened to the original story text?

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

That's a very good question as Dave (3rd paragraph down) went into The Fabulous Moonlighters and I wanted to add to it rather than start a new thread.

if ya ever see or think ought is wrong with any post all ya need to do is flag it it so we  aware and we can then have a look

in this case somethings up with the youtube embedding - have put a temp fix, will look deeper after the weekend

Last week I at long last got to meet the elusive Garrett Tilford aka Tim Mungford aka Abul-rahman Al-qahhar Ibn-Duriyah, the man behind the amazing 'I'm leaving you' & 'Stop him girl'.

Like many I have always wondered why a Louisville group would call themselves Detroit Sounds Of Friction. Well it transpires that the group was originally from Detroit, but never recorded anything there. By the time this was recorded none of the original members remained. Both sides were recorded in Louisville and used all local musicians and singers for the tracks.

Garrett started life studying classical music and played in the U.S. Army orchestra and band playing flute. After leaving he played with several jazz greats including Bobbi Humphrey. He join DSOF in Detroit but the band was short lived and started to fall apart, he moved back to his home town of Louisville, keeping the name. Garrett plays flute, key boards and drums on the tracks.

In recent years he has struggler with health issues and more recently has found Islam and changed his name.

Louisville is and was a very tight little musical community, many bands and records from there share connections through musicians including, The Fabulous Moonlighters, Nite-Liters, New Birth, Baby Leon Northern, DeBow, Cliff Butler, Jerry Green, The Heartbreakers and Mind Liberators to name a few.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Their 45 has come up for sale again (Aug 2023) on Rare Norther Soul.com and it reminded of this Dave Thorley OP/thread which…

…Prompted me to add an unknown (or perhaps not widely known) Footnote on DSoF.

In July 1971 a three-car wreck near Carmi Illinois on route South to Paducah on US460 saw 5 members of a band injured and 1 member killed. The injured band members were Buddy Jarrett, William McBroom, Nathan Trabue, Aaron Purdie and Mike Baker. The band member killed in the accident was 20year old Gilespie Taylor, member & manager of DSoF.

It’s possible by this time the Detroit part of DSoF had been dropped for just Sound of Fiction.

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

How rare is this? Does anyone remember this being played out in public? would be interesting to know who owns the six copies!

B3080B9E-5CB9-43D5-98CF-3B7BEABBEBDB.png

Had it in early 90's. Found it in N.O. for $3. Played it out once or twice maybe but then I don't dj really. Just local dos.

Swapped I think with Dave Ripoles.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

How rare is this? Does anyone remember this being played out in public? would be interesting to know who owns the six copies!

B3080B9E-5CB9-43D5-98CF-3B7BEABBEBDB.png

Six times ten at least ! That rare... Although demand is high and the record is good to better depending on how you like or need it. But never that rare.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!