Mason Williams - Classical Gas

Just been asked by a friend if this great tune was a "northern soul" spin?

I did receive a few tapes in the 1980's which had it on.

I'm old enough to remember it as a 'pop' hit.

Was it played at NS venues?

Thanks

Social source share

Just been asked by a friend if this great tune was a "northern soul" spin?

I did receive a few tapes in the 1980's which had it on.

I'm old enough to remember it as a 'pop' hit.

Was it played at NS venues?

Thanks

Nope. I love it though. Many of the same musicians as the Mike Post Coalition.

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great instrumental.. as said above. Same musicians and feel as afternoon of the rhino. Would have had big plays in the 70s if it had flopped in the 60s

You're spot on. Mike Post either produced it or beefed up the original recording before it was released.

Social source share

This has always bugged me but on the second last night at Wigan -when Tommy Hunt was  on I was coming into the main room from Ms and I'm sure CG was playing in the main room (not Ms). I wasn't really paying attention at the  time and I only caught the last bit of it and wasn't really playing attention. it was after that it registered. Maybe it was something else. I also seem to recall Spencer Davis GSL being played in the main room that night? 

Edited by maslar
Social source share

This has always bugged me but on the second last night at Wigan -when Tommy Hunt was  on I was coming into the main room from Ms and I'm sure CG was playing in the main room (not Ms). I wasn't really paying attention at the  time and I only caught the last bit of it and wasn't really playing attention. it was after that it registered. Maybe it was something else. I also seem to recall Spencer Davis GSL being played in the main room that night? 

Well I can put your mind at rest about GSL being played in the main room, Russ played it after Alan Rhodes set saying that it was the original of the then very popular Taj Mahal "A lot of love", I've got it on tape.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!