Atlantic Oldies Series

Soulstu

I've got a few of these and they always strike me as very handsome looking discs, much nicer than the red and blacks. I reckon a full set of these would be a thing of real beauty.

Can anyone give me a bit more info on them? - a full discography, issue dates, values and pressing info would be very interesting....(not too much to ask :D)

As usual I look forward to a detailed response from you serious vinyl hounds!

Social source share

Thanks for the info - that's an insane collection of tunes! Phil Collins???!!!! I didn't know it staggered on into the 80s - thought it would be just good atlantic soul and RnB reissues from the early 7ts.

You live and learn - Note to self - next time use the search button before you post a question!

Social source share

Stu

The Atlantic Oldies were one of the best US re-issue labels that I ordered for wholesaling to UK shops when I worked for Global Records and then Robinson's Records in Manchester. They would issue a big US hit two or three years after it charted, pairing two hits on one disc.They were kept on catalogue quite a long time but some got deleted or just didn't get pressed up when stocks ran out. I don't think you'll ever find copies with deletion drill holes.

As Atlantic had the foresight to sign up prog rock, heavy metal, hippies and such like after soul declined in 68 they managed to stay in business. If they hadn't they probably would have gone the way of Chess, Stax etc. They also, famously, had a great way of making sure they retained the rights to any distributed labels so they could exploit hit records for ever. Probably the best sellers for Global were the Led Zeppelin singles which the UK company couldn't issue.

I prefer the red label and at least you get the B side.

The oldies series seemed to last a long time as I saw a silver label version in HMVs in the early noughties, and maybe still going?

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!