Sister James Sax Player Was A Frog

Craig W

Just picked up an A&M press release p/s 45 of Nino Tempo & 5th Ave Sax Sister James with the sleeve notes reading-

"Remember that fancy frog in the "Pinky and Perky" TV series who used to blast out the fruity Boots Randolph sound? Well hes back , masquerading as The 5th Avenue Sax ans supporting Nino Tempo (of Deep purple fame) wit "Sister James" destined to become dynamite in the discotheques"

So the 5th avenue sax was actually a frog shades.gif

I used to watch Pinky & Perky but cant remember seeing the frog whos name apparently was Morton.

Anyone else remember seeing him perform.

pinkyandperky.jpg(post-1363-1155070859.j

sister.jpg(post-1363-1155070959.jpg

Edited by Craig W
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just picked up an A&M press release p/s 45 of Nino Tempo & 5th Ave Sax Sister James with the sleeve notes reading-

"Remember that fancy frog in the "Pinky and Perky" TV series who used to blast out the fruity Boots Randolph sound? Well hes back , masquerading as The 5th Avenue Sax ans supporting Nino Tempo (of Deep purple fame) wit "Sister James" destined to become dynamite in the discotheques"

So the 5th avenue sax was actually a frog :yes:

I used to watch Pinky & Perky but cant remember seeing the frog whos name apparently was Morton.

I would rather have a original P&P LP,than sister James anyday :yes: and i aint having a joke.

Social source share

So the 5th avenue sax was actually a frog :yes:

Hey Craig,

Thanks for posting the info and scan. I love old useless info like this. It's stored for later use. Great stuff. :yes: . Agree with Ken about the 45 though.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Pinky and Perky - whatever happened to them? Are they still alive? :yes:

Apparently, the strains of showbusiness caused them to drift apart. Pinky remains unemployed, and spends his spare time campaigning against the sale of pork, and Perky was last known to be having an extra-marital affair with Princess, the duck character from their TV series.

Seriously though, it is thought that the original puppets used in the series were stolen some years ago, and never found.

Social source share

I have often wondered whether the sax playing frog was one of the earliest influences that submiminally pointed me in the vague direction of soul music :ohmy:

He was excellent, but then again I was a big P&P fan in my younger days. Didn't an early incarnation of the PC brigade have them taken off air? And I believe P&P also moonlighted on the B side to The French Fries "Dancez a la musique"? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have often wondered whether the sax playing frog was one of the earliest influences that submiminally pointed me in the vague direction of soul music :ohmy:

He was excellent, but then again I was a big P&P fan in my younger days. Didn't an early incarnation of the PC brigade have them taken off air? And I believe P&P also moonlighted on the B side to The French Fries "Dancez a la musique"? :thumbsup:

Not sure if it was the PC (Pork Chop or Politically Correct?) brigade that got them taken off the air - they were reactivated in the '90s for a TV pilot that never made a series, and it also earned them their only UK singles chart hit - a cover of "Reet Petite".

For my sins, I now collect the Columbia EPs as a throwback to my childhood. I only need 3 to complete the collection of about 13-14!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I,ve got a Decca 78 rpm disc of Pinky and Perky complete with p/s, doin, versions of Tom Dooley and The Velvet Glove. They,re absolutely immense :shades: .

A P&P collector would happily give you around £20 for the 78 in its pic sleeve. It also came out on 45, but as it's a late one (1958) it makes the 78 rarer, as less of them were pressed. You don't see the pic sleeve much, that's for sure!

"The Velvet Glove" was the theme to their first TV series, long before they adopted "We Belong Together" as their theme!

Here's a classic - their "Beat Party" EP - all (bar 2 tracks) are Beatles cover versions! And look - you can even see the strings! Dunno why P&P themselves aren't featured on the cover - looks like it was just dedicated to The Beakles (yes, that's what they called themselves on the series when they appeared in it!).

beatparty1.jpg(post-953-1155239727.jpg

beatparty2.jpg(post-953-1155239757.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Not sure if it was the PC (Pork Chop or Politically Correct?) brigade that got them taken off the air - they were reactivated in the '90s for a TV pilot that never made a series, and it also earned them their only UK singles chart hit - a cover of "Reet Petite".

For my sins, I now collect the Columbia EPs as a throwback to my childhood. I only need 3 to complete the collection of about 13-14!

Bill & Ben are back too and they were definately victims of the PC brigade. Still common sense prevailed in the end. Wasn't the creator of P&P a Polish refugee or something?

Social source share

Bill & Ben are back too and they were definately victims of the PC brigade. Still common sense prevailed in the end. Wasn't the creator of P&P a Polish refugee or something?

The creators of P&P were Jan and Vlasta Dalibor, a Polish couple who settled in the UK (not sure about the refugee status).

Bill and Ben weren't so much victims of the PC brigade; more the anti-drugs movement. Any references to a little weed are now obliterated!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!