Ebay's Global Shipping Program?

paultp

I've received this from eBay telling me i'm now in their "Global Shipping Program". It looks like if I sell to Europe or US I only have to charge UK postage and send the item to ebay's depot where they process it.

Has anyone else had any information on this or used it?

Hardly ever sell on ebay now :g: Anyway, here it is:

We're pleased to let you know that you're now enrolled in the Global Shipping Programme. It's an easy way to reach millions more buyers with minimal changes to your current processes. The Programme is for sellers who don't currently offer international postage on listings.

Key points for sellers

·  Reach more buyers outside of the UK.

·  International buyers automatically see a postage cost to their country on your listings.

·  Simply post the item to the UK address we provide and we'll take care of the rest.

HOW IT WORKS

·  In approximately 2-3 days' time, your eligible listings will begin showing international postage costs to buyers in other countries at no additional cost to you.

·  We'll automatically include a total charge for international tracked postage on your listings which will be paid by your prospective buyers. You only pay for your usual postage costs within the UK.

·  When one of your items sells through the Programme, you simply post it to the UK Shipping Centre, where your parcel will be processed for international delivery. The address of the UK Shipping Centre is automatically provided to you as the 'Post-to' address for the order. The address includes a unique identifier code. This is so the UK Shipping Centre can identify your item - always include this code on your address label.

COUNTRIES INCLUDED

Millions more people around the world will soon be able to buy from you. International postage to the following EU countries will be shown on your listings: Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. International postage plus applicable customs charges will be shown to buyers in the following non-EU countries: Australia & New Zealand, Brazil, China, Japan, Russia and USA & Canada.

If you've excluded any of these countries on your listings via My eBay, your preferences will remain in place.

SELLER PROTECTION

With the Global Shipping Programme, you're protected in several ways, provided you follow best practices. For example, you can get automatic 5-star ratings for dispatch time and postage & packaging charges when you provide free domestic postage and your handling time meets certain conditions. You're also protected from negative or neutral Feedback and ratings lower than 5 stars due to loss or damage to your item in international transit, or delayed delivery. Read more about how sellers are protected with the Global Shipping Programme.

RETURNS

Returns are not handled through the Global Shipping Programme.

Private sellers - If a buyer contacts you directly, we recommend working together to resolve the issue. You don't have to accept a return if the buyer has simply changed their mind, but any buyer claim for Not as Described will be processed subject to the eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Buyer Protection in countries without eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Business sellers - Your UK returns policy will be displayed and applied to EU buyers. Under the EU Consumer Rights Directive (2011), buyers can withdraw from most distance transactions with business sellers within 14 calendar days without penalty and without giving any reason. Read more about managing international returns.

All sellers - If your buyer asks you for a refund on their purchase, you're only expected to refund the cost of the item and what you charged for domestic postage. We'll take care of refunding the international postage charges for sending the parcel to them, if applicable. Please handle any return postage costs directly with the buyer, depending on the reason of the return.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

The shipping fees are calculated from your whereabout to the buyer destination and processed (charged) through their "controls" and the VAT "duties" guys are also there. No actual extra charges for the sellers as such, only for the buyers. Big Brother continued intrusion in the transactions between private as professional sellers/dealers and buyers. If Evil bay would impose that channel/program as the payments through Paypal only, they'd control it all ! That'd be scary ! And I wouldn't accept that from them as a seller. I'd go the same old way. And as a buyer I do ask sometimes if the buyer agrees not to send my parcel through that channel.

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I had a record delivered damaged that had come from the US via the Global Shipping Program - the packaging was also damaged so it looked to be the fault of the carrier rather than the seller.

After sending photos to Ebay and the seller, the seller refunded me the money he had received with out any problems but getting Ebay to refund the costs relating to the shipping program was a real pain.

They eventually did, stating it was a gesture of goodwill - I just sent them a rely saying goodwill doesn't come in to it - if they are charging for a service they are 100% responsible.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've only ever received one parcel from US throught their Global shipping. The parcel took about 3 weeks to leave the US, and then the normal week to arrive here. Upon opening, I found the record had been taped to the cardboard stiffner and was impossible to remove without damaging part of the label. Paid about £17/18 postage for this privilage.

I should point out, the parcel was OK when it left the seller, and had been opened and resealed by eBay - the eBay logo on the tape was a giveaway.

Never again.

If I find (as a seller) that I've been "selected" for this program, I would opt out straight away. I wouldn't want to be offering that to customers.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

had an e mail from ebay a while ago i'm sure they said they would inform me when they were about to do it just checked my a/c and it was not implimented but was on my daughters so i've opted out thanks for the reminder guys. they are getting too greedy anyway so was looking at other options too

kev

Social source share

Thanks everyone, beginning to get the picture now  :yes:

i thought initially that it might reduce postage costs but it looks like ebay are doing something that works for them though not necessarily beneficial to anyone else (not like ebay haha)

looks like there is also a danger that transit time increases and handling is poor. Think as a seller I may well opt out.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Ebay's shipping programme is run via the shipping company, Pitney Bowes.

I appreciate sellers may have concerns over the potential risks of sending records overseas via standard airmail. Even though nowadays overseas post is very safe to and from UK and USA.

Packages sent to UK from USA over a value of around $19  (£15 UK pounds) at current exchange rates are subject to a UK 20 % import tax. However, ebay are charging buyers around 30% (20% import duty plus their fees).

The standard airmail post to UK is normally expensive enough as it is, at around $13 to $15. Ebay’s shipping programme starts at around $16+ for one 45. This then increases as the selling price rises. Ebay also take a part of the postage too! Sellers only see a local charge being made and assume the buyer is getting a good deal. They're not!

Buyers pay the full (over priced) postage payment. The benefit to the sellers is tracked post with a confirmed delivery.

I strongly suggest that everyone uses the above information and whenever they see a seller using this rip off postal service, they contact them and let them know the facts and that they are losing out on potential bids as buyers are now steering clear of sellers who use this service.

Happy bidding!

Edited by Henry
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Henry said:

Ebay's shipping programme is run via the shipping company, Pitney Bowes.

I appreciate sellers may have concerns over the potential risks of sending records overseas via standard airmail. Even though nowadays overseas post is very safe to and from UK and USA.

Packages sent to UK from USA over a value of around $19  (£15 UK pounds) at current exchange rates are subject to a UK 20 % import tax. However, ebay are charging buyers around 30% (20% import duty plus their fees).

The standard airmail post to UK is normally expensive enough as it is, at around $13 to $15. Ebay’s shipping programme starts at around $16+ for one 45. This then increases as the selling price rises. Ebay also take a part of the postage too! Sellers only see a local charge being made and assume the buyer is getting a good deal. They're not!

Buyers pay the full (over priced) postage payment. The benefit to the sellers is tracked post with a confirmed delivery.

I strongly suggest that everyone uses the above information and whenever they see a seller using this rip off postal service, they contact them and let them know the facts and that they are losing out on potential bids as buyers are now steering clear of sellers who use this service.

Happy bidding!

I always contact the seller to explain the situation, most (US) sellers don't know how simple it is to send a package overseas, I would guess I convince about a bit moren than half of them to switch posting it themselves. It is a giant rip-off and one has to tip your hat at Ebay for producing yet another money making item.

Social source share

i've always used First Class mail service.
never had a problem.

i don't use "global middle men" for anything but frankly sell many more 45s at other web sites than here.
i had seven i never never knew records... most sold elsewhere, not here.

they leave feedback every time at other web sites.  like clock work.
this web site doesn't generate many sales for some of us.

ya'll are missing out on some good shit. cest la vie.
they sell elsewhere, and they've all left stellar feedback because we sell STORE STOCK never played records.

most folks ship used stuff. we still ship pristine wholesale stock and have used First Class mail without fail for many years.

Edited by VinylvilleLA
Social source share

Also the final carriers on the UK side are private contractors, not experienced Royal Mail operatives. I would not trust one of these contractors with a valuable record. On other stuff I buy from ebay I don't have any great objections to the GSP as it has cut the time spent getting items out of customs, but for records I would give it a wide berth for all the reasons outlined above.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a package through GSP. Shipping was expensive, but just as fast as ordinary post. There were lots of hassle from ebay for each step of the process. The 45 was re-packaged in bubble wrap and foam boards in an envelope. So many headaches and suggestions of slow delivery and crap I never have with ordinary airmail. And that's without having to worry about taxes since the 45 was (ridiculously) cheap.

Social source share

I know if a US seller uses it, the package, no matter where the parcel is coming from in the US, goes all the way to Kentucky to be checked and if needed opened and repackaged, so it is cheaper to send using the courier that eBay have designated. In all you will find that everyone that uses the service charges more for P&P, and the package will take twice as long to reach it's destination.
I know this because I ordered a record from the states, and when it took so long to arrive I did a check with the tracking number and found that it was at that time in Kentucky. I made enquiries with eBay and they told me the way it works. In all, instead of the usual week to 10 day to get a record from the states, it took over 3 weeks.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Perhaps one of the most worrying aspects is that sellers don't even know they're listed as using this system. Just bought something from the UK to Belgium, seller has the EGS at £9.50, I contested that and he shipped for £3.70, he said he didn't know that he'd agree to use it. That's not the 1st time this has happened, you really have to contest this when buying, all I do is ask the postage costs, they always come back cheaper than that freckling rip-off.

Social source share

Bought a pair of camper boots for my girlfriend , realy nice in suede in original box boot leg stuffed withpaper to keep shape box size is quite big (bootsize)

anyway what arrived weeks later was a box that action mans boots would have looked small in covered in ebay tape 

my original box gone the stuffing to keep shape gone the boots were scrunched up not even rolled so had creases and marks whenun scrunched

pissed off to say least e bay global is crap

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Karl s said:

Bought a pair of camper boots for my girlfriend , realy nice in suede in original box boot leg stuffed withpaper to keep shape box size is quite big (bootsize)

anyway what arrived weeks later was a box that action mans boots would have looked small in covered in ebay tape 

my original box gone the stuffing to keep shape gone the boots were scrunched up not even rolled so had creases and marks whenun scrunched

pissed off to say least e bay global is crap

You know people don't like talking about boots on this forum... :wicked:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to copy and paste the message below and send to EVERY USA seller that you see using this rip-off. The only way to stop ebay using this postal Dis-service is to get everyone to stop using it. A lot of sellers aren't even aware they are using it or the problems with it as ebay automatically opt them into it when shipping overseas. 

Just wanted to make you aware that you are losing out on many bids and therefore money by using the ebay shipping programme run by the shipping company, Pitney Bowes. All items go to their USA main depot in Kentucky and are sometimes repackaged and damaged when doing this, before being bulk shipped overseas.
I appreciate you may have concerns over the potential risks of sending records overseas via standard airmail. Even though nowadays overseas post is very safe to UK.

A lot of sellers aren't even aware they are using it as ebay automatically opt them into it when shipping overseas. This is where the bulk of the soul 45 go to. Packages sent to UK over a value of around $19 (at current exchange rates) are subject to a UK 20 % import tax. However, ebay are charging buyers around 30% (20% plus their fees). The standard airmail post to UK is normally expensive enough as it is at around $13 to $15. Ebay’s shipping programme starts at around $18+ for one 45. This, then increases as the selling price rises. Ebay also take a part of the postage too!

You can always use USPS tracked airmail if you want proof of delivery etc.

UK buyers usually request a low value too (not over $15 in total), to avoid the import duty

Good luck!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Henry said:

UK buyers usually request a low value too (not over $15 in total), to avoid the import duty

I've never felt comfortable asking for a low value on the customs slip. I am happy every time someone does it, but technically it's fraud and could get the seller in trouble if someone wanted to strike down on this (which becomes more probable with every new trade agreement that gets passed).

Social source share

2 hours ago, LarsC said:

I've never felt comfortable asking for a low value on the customs slip. I am happy every time someone does it, but technically it's fraud and could get the seller in trouble if someone wanted to strike down on this (which becomes more probable with every new trade agreement that gets passed).

Sales tax on the original sale in the US was paid when 1st purchased. The US seller does not have any option to send free of tax so in effect you end up paying tax twice and that was never the purpose. If you buy a new item in say Australia for shipment to the UK then the sale price will be free of any taxes, of course that gets paid by the importer upon arrival so tax is only paid once. How about this, you buy in the US at say $500.00 ask seller to send to a friend within the US, no sales tax paid. Your friend then sends it/them to you, there's no sale from him/her to you so value is only a nominal amount (for a 2nd hand item) it's gets a value of $25.00 you pay no tax (here in Belgium anyway). The EEU policy (yes folks you're still in it) is that tax is only paid once so you may be technically breaking but not in spirit. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. Lastly I once (and only once) bought a gaggle of expensive records out of a basement from an estate UK sales value about $4.000 (3 copies of the Trends:-) I paid about $400.00 for some 200 records what do you do, declare the $4000 or $400 ? If you say 400 then that could be construed as fraud.  

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

I've noticed a few time recently, looking at US listings which use this Global shipping, that some items tell you there is £0.00 extra customs to pay, even when the item is at $70 / $80 / $90. I was watching one a few days back (unfortunately I can't remember what it was) and up until the end it was showing zero customs, but when the item finished at just over $100, the customs was shown.

Is it a glitch in the system where the excess is only shown AFTER the auction ends, or is it genuinely up to $100 customs free (unlikely). Or am I missing something.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Is it a glitch in the system

Probably. I've only bought one 45 with GSP but when I placed my bid ebay updated the customs price as soon as I entered a number in the bid box. I used that to find the exact top bid I could place without getting hit with a customs charge.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always ask in advance those sellers if they would "skip" that Globalized Shi**ing Prog. and if not, I drop the "deal". But as said here, many don't know that they have the opportunity to not go through that GSP and/or even how to "calibrate" it right. When it request you to pay $25 for 1 single shipped to Europe through the calculation of the GSP, something is definitely not right... one seller replied to me;

I am not sure how the global international shipping program works. You would have to talk to someone how handles this. Sorry

then;

I am not sure how the international global shipping program works. Sorry

Goes to show... I dropped it since the singles I was looking at were not that important to me.

This is the modern world ! It takes a lot of consuming time and perspicacity to understand how it's working since the lasts changes, modifications and options. And then what it is implying at the other end of the line...

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Feel free to copy and paste the message below and send to EVERY USA seller that you see using this rip-off. Even if you're not going to bid on the item(s) they have for sale. The only way to stop ebay using this postal Dis-service is to get everyone to stop using it. A lot of sellers aren't even aware they are using it or the problems with it, as ebay automatically opt them into it when shipping overseas. When informed of the problems incurred by buyers, nearly all stop using it. Ebay have only got involved because they noticed an opportunity to make money. See the details of what they take in the message below. They haven't done it out of a sense of duty or legality.

Just wanted to make you aware that you are losing out on many bids and therefore money by using the ebay shipping programme run by the shipping company, Pitney Bowes. All items go to their USA main depot in Kentucky and are sometimes repackaged and damaged when doing this, before being bulk shipped overseas.
I appreciate you may have concerns over the potential risks of sending records overseas via standard airmail. Even though nowadays overseas post is very safe to UK.

A lot of sellers aren't even aware they are using it as ebay automatically opt them into it when shipping overseas. This is where the bulk of the soul 45 go to. Packages sent to UK over a value of around $19 (at current exchange rates) are subject to a UK 20 % import tax. However, ebay are charging buyers around 30% (20% plus their fees). The standard airmail post to UK is normally expensive enough as it is at around $13 to $15. Ebay’s shipping programme starts at around $18+ for one 45. This, then increases as the selling price rises. Ebay also take a part of the postage too!

You can always use USPS tracked airmail if you want proof of delivery etc.

Good luck!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out :

ME : Hello, can you please tell with whom you have sent this item ? I don't recognise the tracking number, thanks, Chris

SELLERHello,
As you have used the Ebay GSP Shipping Centre, we do not hold the tracking information for this. Should you wish to know who your item is being delivered by, you will need to contact them. Kind Regards Kat

ME Hello, I didn't choose the Ebay system you must have done or they've done it without your permission. Not a great state of affairs is it ?

SELLERHello,
The Ebay GSP Shipping Centre is automatically selected by default when it is an international sale to keep down postage and packaging costs. As your package is going to Belgium, this would have otherwise cost around £20 for you to receive it directly from us, however, through the shipping centre it has only cost around £8. I apologise if this is not your preferred method of transportation, and that Ebay does not make this clearer when you are checking out. Kind Regards Kat

ME : The package has not arrived yet I will be putting in a claim and requesting a 100% refund

Think old Kat is in for a shock when's she's out of pocket for the postal costs, what a farce.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I've been lucky this morning I had on from the states and the seller put the full value on it $125,postie put it through the door and all's good... ?

Draw all the curtains, put all the lights out and no empty milk bottles outside..........

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!