Would A Postman

Soul-slider

...put a recorded/signed for package through your door without it being signed for?

The reason I ask is because I posted an expensive record using the 'recorded delivery' system and the buyer is claiming he hasn't received it!!

The tracking number is just saying it is 'in process'.

...and yes, I have been naive and should have posted 'Special Delivery'  :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm not sure how ebay will go once he starts his 'claim'. There is a bit of confusion in their rules regarding providing a tracking number.

It say's:  'If an item is provided with a tracking number and it has shown as delivered then ebay will side with the seller, if the item is more than £750 then a signature is required'. 

Confusing because then if it's shown as 'delivered' then it would have a signature wouldn't it? Or do they mean delivered to a post office? 

1. I have a tracking number

2. it is less than £750

Does this mean I will win if a case is made? 

Social source share

Hi

If the tracking system is saying in process then there is a possibility that the parcel has been returned to the sorting office. Ask the guy to check at his sorting office as this happened to me once when a buyer said no delivery it had been returned because no signature available.

As an aside I am tracking an expensive item from Portugal and the bloody thing has been posted but is still in the depot in Portugal for 4 days now.

Social source share

Sorry to hear the buyer hasn't recieved the record let ? it may still turn up as recorded mail gets treated like any other packet anyone posts all recorded means is you get a proof of posting and the person recieving the packet should have to sign for it and you then get proof of delivery.

Millions of letters packets etc get posted everyday and things can go wrong and Royal Mail are still a great service which i hope most people on here have no problems with.

Your question about a postman ( should be postperson  by the way ) delivering a recorded item without getting it signed, should never happen and it makes me angry that it would, but there are a lot of reasons why it might happen.

Please if you are worried about your item call the dom ( delivery office manager ) where  the item would be delivered and ask why this is happening even though it might have been them who did it ( not easy to find out the number but you can find it )

Again sorry and i hope it turns up as it might still do ? but always remember if you don't trust the buyer or are worried about sending a expensive record please use reg post ( special delivery as it is now called ) it gets treated differently and is insured up to £500 i believe, recorded is only about £28 in stamps and to be honest just get proof of posting.

I have worked for Royal Mail for 24 years now and it annoys me when things go wrong as i'm like all of you a customer at the end of the day, and it is getting worse but it  is still  worth sticking with believe me .

I hope it turns up

Andy.

Social source share

...put a recorded/signed for package through your door without it being signed for?

The reason I ask is because I posted an expensive record using the 'recorded delivery' system and the buyer is claiming he hasn't received it!!

It might be a good idea to find out what "in process" means.

The buyer says he aint got it, the Royal Mail say they aint delivered it either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...and yes, I have been naive and should have posted 'Special Delivery' :(

Normally my postie puts recorded items thru my door but not normally special delivery, however, a few weeks back I came home to a card thru door saying it's round the back... Literally outside and it had been raining for three hrs!

Special delivery and a four figure 45 :(

Thankfully no damage done... Phew!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest trickbag

had one today opened the door,he handed it to me,

I said do I have to sign for this,yes but the

computers down but you can sign for it the next

time.of he went.

what does he know.

ricky.

Social source share

It might be a good idea to find out what "in process" means.

The buyer says he aint got it, the Royal Mail say they aint delivered it either.

Exactly. However, if the postperson just stuck it through his letterbox without any sort of scanning or signature then it's never going to come up as delivered. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Drew:

Your question about a postman ( should be postperson  by the way ) delivering a recorded item without getting it signed, should never happen and it makes me angry that it would, but there are a lot of reasons why it might happen.

Reasons:

£20 bung?

Laziness?

Computer/scanner down?

Social source share

If it`s still showing as "Being Processed" then it hasn`t been signed for and that makes it the post offices responsibility until the tracking site shows you the actual signature. I think after 28 days as long as you have the Ebay sales info and tracking number/posage details you will get your money back from RM, I did the exact same thing and was payed out in full (cheque) with a nice apology.

Social source share

If it`s still showing as "Being Processed" then it hasn`t been signed for and that makes it the post offices responsibility until the tracking site shows you the actual signature. I think after 28 days as long as you have the Ebay sales info and tracking number/posage details you will get your money back from RM, I did the exact same thing and was payed out in full (cheque) with a nice apology.

Like most ive had loads of Signed for deliveries ...but have Never had one posted without signing..always a card stating no-one in so have to go pick it up with I.D.. and I know my postie well...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Regularly had them  put through the door when they should have been signed for in the past - all ok beacause is saves going to the sorting office - that is until one disappears!  Fact is they should be getting signed for.  Ironically we all have to show ID etc when we collect them from the sorting office.

Social source share

It depends a lot on how well you know your postman, and how well he knows you. I have had the same postman for 20 years and we knew each other before then. We have an understanding that if a signed for item comes and there is no one in, he put it through the door, or window if it's open.

BUT if you haven't got that sort of relationship with your postie, you can check on your item number even if it is showing as 'in process' by ringing the tracking office. Failing that you are insured up to a certain amount anyway, whether it will cover the price of the record only you know, but you have to wait 17 days I think it is before you can claim from the post office.

Social source share

Had this happen both ways (as a seller and a buyer) - refunded my buyer and claimed off Royal Mail, it took ages and they will only pay out up to the recorded limit (which was fine in my case). As a buyer I complained to Royal Mail and they said "but it was only recorded" - a rant about them selling three levels of service and it not being good enough that they only care about the most expensive was a waste of my breath.

I will only post records when they are insured up to the full value, until Royal Mail realise they are supposed to actually deliver things according to the description of the product they have sold you.

My view on Royal Mail's postal offers is:

1st/2nd Class - same service and equivalent to putting things in a bottle and throwing them in the sea.

Recorded Delivery - as 1st/2nd class but at least you might get some money back eventually when they lose your item.

Special Delivery - the only service that works as they say it will

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Had this happen both ways (as a seller and a buyer) - refunded my buyer and claimed off Royal Mail, it took ages and they will only pay out up to the recorded limit (which was fine in my case). As a buyer I complained to Royal Mail and they said "but it was only recorded" - a rant about them selling three levels of service and it not being good enough that they only care about the most expensive was a waste of my breath.

I will only post records when they are insured up to the full value, until Royal Mail realise they are supposed to actually deliver things according to the description of the product they have sold you.

My view on Royal Mail's postal offers is:

1st/2nd Class - same service and equivalent to putting things in a bottle and throwing them in the sea.

Recorded Delivery - as 1st/2nd class but at least you might get some money back eventually when they lose your item.

Special Delivery - the only service that works as they say it will

I think you are spot on Paul.

Social source share

I had a Recorded Delivery dropped through the letter box the other week unsigned!! but I caught my postman on the way back up our road and gave it him to scan and let me sign for which he was very grateful but it just goes to show it can happen. He says it was not a big problem but if it had been Special Delivery he told me that he could have been in trouble, but they are only human and accidents do happen. I know this may not help you, but I think it answers your question good luck with finding the record. Atb John :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here is the record I sold.

I know what you all will be thinking...., "idiot"!!! Special Delivery!!!! To be honest I was taken aback at how much it went for, I was only expecting about £100 at most and I have (had :( ) faith in the 'Recorded' system as I have been posting for 20 odd years myself and nothing like this has ever happened. I think I just didn't really sit down and think about it and I suppose if the girl at the Post Office had mentioned the usual... "is it worth more than £50?" it would have sparked my pea like brain into work mode and I'd have sent Special.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201201578400?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Social source share

This seems to be happening more and more lately with both uk recorded mail and international signed for. I've had three ebay sales packages in the last month that have been sent recorded del that have not been signed for plus one registered to New Zealand sent international signed for that was just dropped through the mail box, luckily all have been honest buyers and left feedback to say all was well.

When you find yourself with a buyer that says their item hasn't shown up yet & contact the customer services at RM all you get is a repeated generic reply about claiming for lost items,  piss poor really considering what they charge these days for a service they keep failing to provide.

When you check the web it's full of stuff about RM,s problematic barcode readers/scanners and software issues but guess like  anything with human involvement there will be an element of theft, greed and lies to explain why something never or is claimed to never have made it's destination.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Like most ive had loads of Signed for deliveries ...but have Never had one posted without signing..always a card stating no-one in so have to go pick it up with I.D.. and I know my postie well...

When its been signed for and delivered the tracking website shows a photo of said signature. if I try tracking the one which I had lost it still shows "Being processed" even today..........6 months later.

Maybe RM are still hoping it will be found some day. :g:

Social source share

When its been signed for and delivered the tracking website shows a photo of said signature. if I try tracking the one which I had lost it still shows "Being processed" even today..........6 months later.

Maybe RM are still hoping it will be found some day. :g:

I sent a magazine to a fellow in London about 10 yrs ago..signed for ..never arrived , got sorted with compensation no problem ...then around 6/8 months later got a letter off Royal Mail saying they had located said magazine ..which was totally destroyed ..they sent me a scan to confirm if it was the item I posted ..it was ,it looked as if it had been caught in some type of machinery,  was  mangled....hope yours has just been misplaced or is lost in the system somewhere still intact..

Social source share

Yes , quite a lot . Sometimes he will just post it or put it in my garage . Sometimes he leaves it with a neighbour . He knows what he is delivering , never lost one yet . I have stopped him putting them in the garage now though .

Social source share

If you get the message that it's in process or progressing through the system, on track and trace, this means they haven't any idea where it is.  Trust me.

Yes.......I had gathered that Pete..............I don`t know how long it takes them to update things on their track & trace site.

Social source share

Yes.......I had gathered that Pete..............I don`t know how long it takes them to update things on their track & trace site.

As Pete says, it will never be updated. The trigger for updating recorded delivery is the actual delivery and signature; place and time of postage is recorded then it just disappears until it is signed for - if it isn't signed for it will always show as "in progress" or whatever.

RM is very 1970's still.

Social source share

dont have much faith in special delivery either, i sent a record that way last years just 30miles up the road, guaranteed delivery next day by 1.00pm, i posted it monday morning and it still had,nt arrived by friday, i just got passed pillar to post, i had to do all the ringing around to the local sort offices etc etc, and allthough i had the receipt, tracking number and such , it just kept drawing a blank,..it  did  eventually arrived the following week and the excuse i was given was that the packet had fallen behind the drivers seat in the van, i was just releived it arrived in the end, because it was well into 3 figures value wise,..(it was a guaranteed next day delivery service i paid for and didnt get so) i filled in the online claims form with all the required info (twice) but didnt even receice a reply,so i dont have much faith in the system.

Edited by Mach
Social source share

What happens to the stuff that gets lost in the system, someone must have them at the royal mail . Or they must fly off into outer space ?? Whizzing round the earth at 45rpm

Every few years there`s always some story on the local news about a letter or parcel posted decades ago finally being delivered.

Social source share

What happens to the stuff that gets lost in the system, someone must have them at the royal mail . Or they must fly off into outer space ?? Whizzing round the earth at 45rpm

Don't know if this is still the case, but they end up in either Belfast or Southampton. I seem to remember letters end up in Southhampton, and parcels go to Belfast (it could be the other way round, and this could also be outdated info anyway).

As to what happens within these pixie dust caverns ...

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

As Pete says, it will never be updated. The trigger for updating recorded delivery is the actual delivery and signature; place and time of postage is recorded then it just disappears until it is signed for - if it isn't signed for it will always show as "in progress" or whatever.

RM is very 1970's still.

Well, it seems this is not entirely the case, mine has been updated to..... 'Sat 8th October 6.05 am - Missort Heathrow'. 

I have spoken to someone from RM and apparently it got put into the wrong bag and instead of going to North London where it should have it's  ended up in Heathrow! She say's it should be with the rightful recipient either today or tomorrow. Phew... :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Soul-Slider, on 10 Nov 2014 - 1:31 PM, said:

Well, it seems this is not entirely the case, mine has been updated to..... 'Sat 8th October 6.05 am - Missort Heathrow'. 

I have spoken to someone from RM and apparently it got put into the wrong bag and instead of going to North London where it should have it's  ended up in Heathrow! She say's it should be with the rightful recipient either today or tomorrow. Phew... :)

:thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well here is my funny postman story. This actually happened to me a couple of years ago. I phoned up to the RM afterwards and complained about he tw**.

I knew i had a record coming by recorded delivery. Early one morning I was looking out the window and saw the postman at the gate outside. In the few seconds it took me  get to  get to the door he'd pushed a "sorry you were out, collect in 48 hours from the depot" card through my door. No knock or anything. The thing was he must have had the card already written out. And I'd paid to have this sent recorded. so I quickly grabbed my shoes and chased after him. This is exactly how the conversation went, word for word. I kid you not.

Me: You've just put this through my letterbox (showing him the card).

Him: Not me mate.

Me:  Ive just seen you

Him: (shaking head) Not me.

Me : (becoming slightly irritated) I've just seen you on the path and this has come through the letterbox. who else could have f**** posted it?

Him: Not by me mate.

Me (seeing my record tucked under his arm) That's my parcel.

HIM: oh right. Sign here for it please

Me: unprintable.

well I never saw him again so maybe the RM decided his talents lay in other areas.

Edited by maslar
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Good news and i hope  the record turns up for your sake and that of the poor buyer also, and sorry for the trouble you have had,  as like i said in a earlier post i have worked for Royal Mail for 24 years now and have a family history also going back years ,and use the service as a customer also.

I have looked at some of the posts and it  shocks me at some of the stories about Records getting no signatures and being left out in the rain etc should never happen.

I can only speak for where i work and i would say most people would be shocked who have worked for what was a great public service but not perfect unfortunately and in lots of ways is getting worse as the pressure especially on delivery staff is unbelievable.

I could go on forever about what is going on but a can of worms springs to mine.

Kind regards

Andy.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I've had several Recorded parcels left without a signature.

I've also had the postman post 'sorry you weren't in' cards as Maslar states above.

When  I ran out and asked for the parcel, he admitted that he didn't have the parcel with him, and that they often just take the cards out for recorded delivery, as they expect people to be at work when they are delivering.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

same here love your postie I wouldent to do that job

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!