Irene And The Scott's - I'm Stuck On My Baby

Guest briktf

Was wondering what the going rate is for this at the moment ? Popsike prices all over the place . Couple on eBay just now. Any ideas?? Thanks

Social source share

Thanks, that's what I thought. Although has gone for over 100 a few times and even 225!!  Was it ever booted? Can't recall ever seeing one

Social source share

Never booted (unless it's been done in the lastfew years).... was an easy to find ten quid record until about 7 years ago, then started flying up in price.

Not so easy to find now though it seems? Looks like somebody might get a bargain then

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Never booted (unless it's been done in the lastfew years).... was an easy to find ten quid record until about 7 years ago, then started flying up in price.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Easy find? Tenner 7years ago?

Was it? Huge in Stafford era...20-30 in the money of those days ..

Great record so I am surprised if it went down....

Social source share

Yes, one of those records that the advent of ebay and the net early 2000s showed up to be quite common in the US, and there were always a lot in the UK with import stamp holes.

There were copies everywhere for a while as they got hoovered up.

Dried up now though, a solid £100 record, and wont be cheap again. Real belter too

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Think I paid a fiver back in the 80's. Tim Brown sold a demo either earlier this year or last for £30. That is all it was and cheaper for years.  Some loon paid a fortune and all of a sudden everyone wants serious money for a record that in the scheme of things is pretty common.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think I paid a fiver back in the 80's. Tim Brown sold a demo either earlier this year or last for £30. That is all it was and cheaper for years.  Some loon paid a fortune and all of a sudden everyone wants serious money for a record that in the scheme of things is pretty common.

I'd have had that at 30 Chalky ,,traded on my m- issue,made some money for a change. :lol: Paid about 10-20 on ebay around 10 years ago....and no i didn't want it for the Wigan flip. :lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

great tune, awesome double sider,.....one of the best credited records,  that is a who's who of detroit staff...robert kreinar  (bob babbitt ), dennis coffey, mike theodore, micheal campbell & ray monet.....monatary worthiness pales into insignificance with the quality of this production.....and it's latter popularity is probably well overdue, despite the fact it's been there or thereabouts for a very long time ( played at the catacombs ). :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

great tune, awesome double sider,.....one of the best credited records,  that is a who's who of detroit staff...robert kreinar  (bob babbitt ), dennis coffey, mike theodore, micheal campbell & ray monet.....monatary worthiness pales into insignificance with the quality of this production.....and it's latter popularity is probably well overdue, despite the fact it's been there or thereabouts for a very long time ( played at the catacombs ). :thumbsup:

This his is new to me and I love it. What is the tune on the other side?

Regards.

Drew.

Social source share

Yes, brilliant double sider..........one that`s going to climb over the next few months/years and surprising how many come up to me and ask who it is. Not a well know tune up in Lancs.

A good £30 well spent! :thumbsup:

Flip here Drew.

https://youtu.be/rXdemvbwuCM

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yes, brilliant double sider..........one that`s going to climb over the next few months/years and surprising how many come up to me and ask who it is. Not a well know tune up in Lancs.

A good £30 well spent! :thumbsup:

Flip here Drew.

https://youtu.be/rXdemvbwuCM

yep, picked it up for that price last year...minter as well in company sleeve....probably was quite common until it got picked up in the quest to vary playlists...same thing has happened to another mercury/detroit project that robert bateman had a hand in, principly the chalfontes ( shal-fon-tays ) "he loves me" now zooming in price as well.

Social source share

yep, picked it up for that price last year...minter as well in company sleeve....probably was quite common until it got picked up in the quest to vary playlists...same thing has happened to another mercury/detroit project that robert bateman had a hand in, principly the chalfontes ( shal-fon-tays ) "he loves me" now zooming in price as well.

It isn't a quest to vary playlists is it, its a quest to follow the flock, the sheep mentality. As younsay above a year ago it was a £30 record, demo £60 or £75 maybe.  If the person whomsaw fit to pay so much had come on eher and offered a ton, he would have got an offer of loads of copies.  As for who is involved in the prductions I doubt most even bother to find out.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

"why do you treat me like you do / i'm stuck on you baby"

Thanks AS and Steve.

Which is the A side as a 'knownowt' such as I cannot tell from the scans?

I think I have heard 'Why do you treat me like you do' so wondering if that is the A side?

How can one tell from those scans as both seem to have an A standing aside from the credits, (you'll tell me it's something so obvious of course ).

Regards.

Drew.

Social source share

Thanks AS and Steve.

Which is the A side as a 'knownowt' such as I cannot tell from the scans?

I think I have heard 'Why do you treat me like you do' so wondering if that is the A side?

How can one tell from those scans as both seem to have an A standing aside from the credits, (you'll tell me it's something so obvious of course ).

Regards.

Drew.

Bloody hell i`d just put it back :rolleyes: .................................................................picks up glasses!

Drill hole through issue number........checks deadwax......................................Stuck on my Baby is the A.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It isn't a quest to vary playlists is it, its a quest to follow the flock, the sheep mentality. As younsay above a year ago it was a £30 record, demo £60 or £75 maybe.  If the person whomsaw fit to pay so much had come on eher and offered a ton, he would have got an offer of loads of copies.  As for who is involved in the prductions I doubt most even bother to find out.

Depends on where you are Chalky................it`s a very underplayed record up here, and I did buy it because it was a good, inexpensive and seldom heard tune.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

to us karl, who've been around for longer than we can remember, you're right...we can view it in that light, people will naturally chase a good record and if it's relatively common...eventually though, these copies dry up, vicious circle-like and we arrive at square one, not go back to it...it then becomes a required rarity, a realm it hasn't actually been  in, but lets not forget the bigger picture here,...and ive stated this before...records are second only to antiques for collectability and we're only 60 years into the revelation that was r n' b, that became soul but overall, is referred to as "race" or black music. the irony is, above our cynisism about sheep, it's good to know that a good record is being held in such high esteem, that has been known and has been around for a long time, but never really got it's just desserts, so perhaps we should forgive the unknowing for any obsessing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sounded ok to me when Mick H played it at the 100 club in July. (oops has that just pushed the price up a little more.?) One of those tunes that sounds "right for now" again.....hard hitting no prisoners dance floor destroyer.......oldie to some maybe.Does the business.

Social source share

Great record  I'm Stuck On My Baby,and sounds brill when played alongside Irma & the Fascinators--Lost love :thumbsup:

I agree with you in that it goes very well with Irma & Fascinators, also plays nicely alongside perigents - love on the rampage. Some tunes have the flexibilty to fit into many DJ sets which probably explains why its suddenly become an 'in demand' record. :)

Thanks for reminding me about Irma & Fascinators, might have to dig mine out and give it a spin at a function.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't disagree with general thrust of that theory but I do have some difficulty in reconciling these thousands of collectors and dj's with the 8 and 9 bidders detailed on the last two copies of this that went through EBay.

It doesn't take much it seems.

ROD

Ha ha yes, I possibly got a bit carried away there. But those 8 or 9 bidders are the ones bidding on that copy, that passes through ebay that week. The difference now is that there's always 8 or 9 bidders, so the pool must be pretty big.

bidding on r&b on ebay early 2000s, when you could see the bidders' names, there were rarely more than 3, and I nearly always knew them as long time collectors.

one of my first ebay purchases was tito puente 'hit the bongo' on 45, which at that time was unknown on 45, I won it at $90 and beat my mate up the road, and my other mate in southend!

my point really is that it's trendy now, plus seen as a fairly secure investment. Result - hoards of bandwagon jumpers.

I suppose it would be all good if this explosion was parallelled in an increase in going out and dancing, but I fear that the new wave aren't always the type.

Social source share

I guess we will never know the demographic of those who are bidding.  Ebay seems more than dodgy these days with shill bidding and mates bidding up prices.  Of the legitimate bidders it would be intersting to see their age & the reason (for the collection or DJing etc), are they following trends and in man cases why not go to forums and request a want rather than pay what are perceived as inflated prices.  

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Again, Mik I get what you're saying but it doesn't kinda tie in with my overall experience or impression of what is going on.

Latest things I got off EBay highest number of bidders was around 3 and that was for pretty standard well-known stuff that you see much higher on sales lists over here. You'd think if there were a lot of interested folk out there then there would have been more interest.

My experience of selling at say Radcliffe or Burnley is that very few interested. Had more look through my box at Wigan in first 10 minutes than all night recently.

Hence I've not come to any firm conclusions as yet. I know part of the explanation is demand when a 45 gets "talked up", some of it is to do with buying for re-sale I feel. And I guess some of it comes down to buyers being clueless in some instances especially in relation to boot prices.

As Kev says it doesn't do to overanalyse things but in this instance it's the random nature of the thing that makes it interesting to me.

ROD

Social source share

yep, checked jm today...low and behold his second demo of the year at auction....can anyone recall what the first one realized?. imho, i believe the background to a record does count a lot to the obvious enthusiasts, be they in a minority perhaps, but it's part of human psyche to gather information and very little attracts attention quite like records with pedigree..in this individual case, the credits speak for theirselves and they make the record worthy of a sale in any language.

Social source share

One was just recently listed on Manship's web site.

Wonder what that one will go for...

A white demo on Manship's auction site right now, bids at £12... Should go for £250 plus given the current hype. A good record and fairly common but never £100 surely. Beware of who's spinning this... Has a quantity turned up or has someone stockpiled it with a view to cashing in? Certainly a record for the sheep given the recent stampede. Smash is a major label with many good artists so watch out for the Tempests and Jay & The Techniques coming your way soon...

Social source share

I thought I had bought one on Discogs on Friday for what seemed a reasonable £85. The record was described as being in immaculate condition in it's birth sleeve.

I was a bit concerned as the seller was slow to send the invoice so I could pay but I have just got and email from Discogs saying the the seller had cancelled the order. I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent interest in the record and price rise.

Oh the Discogs seller was John Manship.

Social source share

I thought I had bought one on Discogs on Friday for what seemed a reasonable £85. The record was described as being in immaculate condition in it's birth sleeve.

I was a bit concerned as the seller was slow to send the invoice so I could pay but I have just got and email from Discogs saying the the seller had cancelled the order. I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent interest in the record and price rise.

Oh the Discogs seller was John Manship.

It looks as though it migrated over to the auction instead of your mail box (see post 41) on that same day.

Could have been just an oversight in not updating discogs (I personally don't know how that system works). Anyway, here's a link:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/index.php/auction/latest

... you never know, if you're lucky you might be able to pick it up for less than the original £85 price tag?!?  :shhh:

Edited by Peter Richer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!