Tomangoes Acetate ?

Dobber

DJ's played out-a-sites,disco demands and other boots at Blackpool this weekend for all to see on video so nowt prestigious really!?

I wasn't meaning to be contentious with my post, but surprised with some records not being played on there original labels....to be fair though, the guys playing at Blackpool have broke most records that are on the scene, so perhaps they can be forgiven......Rob

Social source share

I agree Rob - think playing a Grapevine whether acetate or not is "cheating"  :yes:

Saw a playlist somewhere recently for another niter - think it was Kings Hall Stoke - and someone said they had played Dena barnes ... on Grapevine.

Tut, tut  :no:  :no:

That will bring out the NOVO brigade - not original vinyl only  :lol:

Richard

Richard ,i play betty boo boo , on Grapevine, only one off , i take thats okkkk  billy :shhh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Then again, Blackpool & Kings Hall are not rare soul events so it doesn't really matter I suppose?

I agree totally Mr Romulus...it doesn't one bit..go where you want, enjoy it....don't be political... if you pick the wrong do, don't moan, just research before you go....Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Then again, Blackpool & Kings Hall are not rare soul events so it doesn't really matter I suppose?

Unless you weren`t in the top 3rd of the DJ roster. I can assure you then it would matter! :shhh:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Is Grapevine a legit UK label?

Was Grapevine the 1st UK issue of the track?

Has the artist and copyright holder been paid appropriately their royalties?

If the answer to the above 3 questions is yes, then IMHO spinning em at any event is okay as 1st British issue, same goes for Jay Boy releases etc. I think back to Prestatyn for the last couple of years when Nige and Sean were double decking and spinning British demo's; their sets have proved bloody good entertainment.  

The opinions on acceptable records playable is akin to discussing backsides, we all have one but the shape and size may differ.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is Grapevine a legit UK label?

Was Grapevine the 1st UK issue of the track?

Has the artist and copyright holder been paid appropriately their royalties?

If the answer to the above 3 questions is yes, then IMHO spinning em at any event is okay as 1st British issue, same goes for Jay Boy releases etc.

Nonsense.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a british copy released at the same time , or near as damn it is probably ok one made 15--20--30 years later is not , its not rocket science

Exactly. Every grapevine release was made for the northern scene which perversely makes them unplayable. But that's the thing, the whole scene was/is built around records not made for it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Nonsense.

I checked with UK record collectors guide and Tamangoes was definitely a legitimate release but then withdrawn.

Is your objection because the British costs £50 and US costs £4K you feel the UK release is unworthy? For me, once its legimately released its not the cost but what's in the groove that counts; Tomangoes/Tamangoes the same tune on a different label.

a british copy released at the same time , or near as damn it is probably ok one made 15--20--30 years later is not , its not rocket science

You may have confused the word 'acceptable' and taken it to mean 'preferable' so I will simplify the meaning for you.

When coming home from the pub I may get a hackney cab (acceptable) though I would like a chauffer driven Rolls Royce with mini bar (preferable). How many NS events are of wedding status requiring a RR (I suggest few & far between - hence the hackney cab is acceptable).

Applying your timeline and analogy to a marital theme; are you suggesting when we get married its not proper or legit until you have reached the silver wedding and even then must have served 20 years more than the neighbour to be worthy of recognition or celebration...... oh almost forgot, and where you got married....

I now invite you to consider records reissued by Ady C on the Kent Label, these may be played by Ady at 100 Club, that strikes me as reasonable, acceptable and given the venue - preferable. :hatsoff2:

My philosophy is simple, is it a lawful release, is it a 1st issue from US, UK, Canada etc and finally have royalties been paid - those elements being satisfied spinning the record is okay with me.

As I said originally - opinions are like backsides we all have one but size and shape may differ.

I will now rest my ugly rear and hope the soul police don't arrest me for being a liberal antagonist, Wishing you a good evening. :sleep3: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Those 'British demos" of the Del Larks etc are bootlegs as far as I know.  The green and white ones?

Ive got a test press of the Del larks, thats not a boot is it
Social source share

Guest Mr Ms DJ

Job Opening - Legit British demo of Del Larks and its not Goldmine label, think Soultown Andy has a copy. 

Stuart, i think youll find out that when andy plays the del larks its on queen city .

Social source share

Playing the Grapevine / RCA acetates: don't forget that when JM auctioned these, some went for over £500!  No wonder people want to play them out / show them off.  I personally think they're just showing they've got more money than sense, I'd rate them at £50 apiece.

Wasn't the Tomangoes withdrawn because of bad sound quality? If that's so what does the acetate sound like? There's no reason it should sound particularly bad I know.  Also, of course each time an acetate is played its shelf life is reduced significantly.

I remember Eddie Parker "I'm Gone" being played numerous times throughout the night  at the Wigan Oldies nights in 1981. Presumably these were RCA acetates too?

Edited by maslar
Social source share

Wasn't the Tomangoes withdrawn because of bad sound quality? If that's so what does the acetate sound like? There's no reason it should sound particularly bad I know.  Also, of course each time an acetate is played its shelf life is reduced significantly.

I remember Eddie Parker "I'm Gone" being played numerous times throughout the night  at the Wigan Oldies nights in 1981. Presumably these were RCA acetates too?

The sound is bad ion the intro, dubbed off a very crackly 45, no need really as they could have dubbed it off a mint bootleg!

(Before I forget, you know what you said about Russ playing Spencer davis in the big room and I said you are correct - well you were, but when I checked the tape, Russ is actually standing in for Dave Evison and doing his oldies spot - hence him playing SD)

Social source share

The sound is bad ion the intro, dubbed off a very crackly 45, no need really as they could have dubbed it off a mint bootleg!

(Before I forget, you know what you said about Russ playing Spencer davis in the big room and I said you are correct - well you were, but when I checked the tape, Russ is actually standing in for Dave Evison and doing his oldies spot - hence him playing SD)

Yes but  I didn't know it was RW till you said. All i remember is that it was later on in the night because I  had trouble getting in and waited outside for what seemed  like an eternity.  It's a pretty vague memory tbh. That would explain RW playing it later though. Wasn't DE there at all? I seem to recall him there at the end? Must have got two nights mixed up. .

sorry going off topic.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!