Tomangoes Acetate ?

Dobber

None taken.  I know full well how the majority don't care, that they don't mind listening to records repeated and a limited playlist.  I get little free time these days and it isn't how I wish to spend what time I do have.  

But it isn't talent playing a reissue when three of his fellow DJ's have spent several thousands of pounds to obtain the original, it is a complete lack off respect IMO, not sure how Ginger, Andy and Sean feel about it?  There really is no need to play any reissues at any event as there are many competent DJ's out there with the real thing.

If the Dj who played the reissue hadn't played it I doubt very much your crowd would have realised nor cared whatsoever as they would have heard it via one of the others.

I realise and understand your crowd don't care that they are listening to reissues, I was simply questioning your reasoning behind it when you acknowledged three of your Dj's had a real one, it wouldn't sit comfotably with me either as one of those Dj's nor as a promoter to see this happen.

Totally agree Chalky.   If we allow this to happen then we will be flooded with it again.  Take the Hamilton Movement as an example ( not asking if you like it or not )  If everyone had a Boot then it would be played to death and you would be fed up of hearing it but as it is hard to come by, then it only gets aired when the guys that can - do ! It's like people are coming into the game at Half time and changing the rules.  We spend a lot of our hard earned buying these litlle treasures.  If you went to The Louvre and they put up a Print of the Mona Lisa would that be acceptable.   A little respect for your fellow DJs.  On before Mick H, might play Eddie Parker Boot ? Just not Cricket.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think that just about sums it up.

Come on. Really. Are there not enough good DJs - even with the 'right attitude' - with crowd pleasing original oldies such as this in their box?

I'm sure we can all list another 25 records which can be picked up for less than, say, £150 each to make up an interesting, varied and exciting set of classic northern. Anyone who calls themselves a DJ on this scene, even those still living off past glories, should at least be able to manage that.

You could do it on Motown originals alone for less than £30 each!

For goodness sake, let's have a bit of integrity.

Well said, you all spend far far too much on your tunes IMO,  if you look else where, i.e for records that are not trendy, known and all that, they are always cheap.. new to the ears, sound great, fun to listen to, and again cheap, whats not to like...

I'll spend money on certain originals for my classic northern soul collection, but the other collections that I have need to be fed regularly, and that is done on a budget for all the right reasons... with Aussie I can chase the big northern tunes on Aussie labels, but you lot out there are pushing the price of those up now, so collecting the lesser known 7ts stuff that came out over there for $5 bucks a go, pretty much always makes sense to me...

I bought 'Laura Lee - Since I fell for you' on Aussie Hot Wax the other day for exactly $5 bucks...  then Richard Serling played  it on the second part of his show the other week,  Glory be!!! I'm doing the right thing... !!!

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

So the whole weekend was spoilt by someone playing a record on the £5 wrong label, despite it sounding exactly the same as it's £10 original?

No, but I'd just started collecting at the time and I'd managed to get hold of an original, surely there should be no excuse for a seasoned DJ.

Social source share

I recall many moons ago as a young teenager going to a doo and seeing a named DJ playing a Grapevine copy of an original that wasn't exactly difficult to find...I was genuinely shocked as Grapevines could be bought over the counter in those days.

Think that was my first encounter with such a situation...felt disappointed in the DJ...I thought a DJ wouldn't dare play anything but an original. What did I know...I was young, knew no better...but had an original in my own collection.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If its rare or not and only a few djs or loads of djs have a said tune that I adore then I only ever want to hear it being played on the original as it makes the effort of going out and hearing it spun worth every mile, £ and minute spent getting to the venue where it is played.  Travelling 100s of miles to hear boots played would be annoying to say the least. I don't even travel 5 miles to a doo where they get played.  Keep it real make the effort to get to hear the djs that do have them.  

Social source share

I make a living from selling records, obviously I like to sell the rarer items as they bring in more cash but I don't take the piss out of the people who can't afford the original and end up buying a £5 pressing version of it, why would I do that?

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

I make a living from selling records, obviously I like to sell the rarer items as they bring in more cash but I don't take the piss out of the people who can't afford the original and end up buying a £5 pressing version of it, why would I do that?

The same guy played an original Larry Clinton.

Social source share

If its rare or not and only a few djs or loads of djs have a said tune that I adore then I only ever want to hear it being played on the original as it makes the effort of going out and hearing it spun worth every mile, £ and minute spent getting to the venue where it is played.  Travelling 100s of miles to hear boots played would be annoying to say the least. I don't even travel 5 miles to a doo where they get played.  Keep it real make the effort to get to hear the djs that do have them.  

and that..almost in a nutshell is the reason most followed northern soul..a soul pilgrimage thats become lost or distorted over the years..

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Guess I wont be getting a spot at blackpool then ?? :lamsey: 

there are loads of places that have an ovo policy and they get my money and sometimes I get to play my treasures at some of them. :thumbup: 

And I think OVO is still in the lead on here :g: 

Keep on digging folks

Garry :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

and that..almost in a nutshell is the reason most followed northern soul..a soul pilgrimage thats become lost or distorted over the years..

Super, well said

Social source share

Chalky- Unfortunately you are out of the loop with very large events. No offence intended.

Firstly most of the public don't care about originals. But they do care about DJ talent. That's why as a promoter I have to take a balanced view.

It's no good hiring any old DJ who plays OVO if the customer doesn't like what they are hearing. I receive a lot of feedback in this area. Please remember the scene is at an all time high for attendances. The majority of the NS fan base want quality venues and DJs plus the top 100( yep, the 5 has gone). It's my job to listen to the public.

If other promoters want to put on other style events aimed at a more niche market, I welcome it. But it ain't gonna happen at a unique monument such as Blackpool Tower

Correct Mr Roberts.....

This OVO malarkey is old hat now, it only really survived years ago at major venues because vinyl is all we had, had we some of the techo we have now,  me and most of my friends wouldnt of travelled to Wigan as we could of stayed local and heard the music that we wanted to hear & dance to - that is what ppl seem to not understand.

OVO is hyped up for ppl who where lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time with enough money. For those with great collections, alot of money could be at sake.... 

To go on, I wouldn't mind if I went to a major venue and they played off a laptop, i'd still pay £ 15 or whatever to get in - infact the sound quality id far better ! :-)

With regards the DJs - I want to hear amazing & proper NS you can dance to, not hear stuff that someone has paid large amounts of money for, Kev get rid of the DJs with expense OVO collections and get DJs who know what the audience want to play.

I would say to those who have great OVO collections, keep them clean, in their boxes and play from an other media but at least play a quality set like Chris King !

Rant over, LOL

Social source share

Correct Mr Roberts.....

This OVO malarkey is old hat now, it only really survived years ago at major venues because vinyl is all we had, had we some of the techo we have now,  me and most of my friends wouldnt of travelled to Wigan as we could of stayed local and heard the music that we wanted to hear & dance to - that is what ppl seem to not understand.

OVO is hyped up for ppl who where lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time with enough money. For those with great collections, alot of money could be at sake.... 

To go on, I wouldn't mind if I went to a major venue and they played off a laptop, i'd still pay £ 15 or whatever to get in - infact the sound quality id far better ! :-)

With regards the DJs - I want to hear amazing & proper NS you can dance to, not hear stuff that someone has paid large amounts of money for, Kev get rid of the DJs with expense OVO collections and get DJs who know what the audience want to play.

I would say to those who have great OVO collections, keep them clean, in their boxes and play from an other media but at least play a quality set like Chris King !

Rant over, LOL

What a load o' bollocks…..LOL

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

All depends which venue you are at.

Kings Hall Stoke for instance, I can't think of a better set than Andy Dyson.

Well thought out, and even though he has mega rarities, he sacrifices his own personal thoughts for the more all nighter underplayed 45's.

At Blackpool, a different type of audience.

Yes we have hardcore but they tend to be out manouvered by a more dumbing down Top 100. I certainly have no problem with that, after all its my daytime job. But I wouldn't expose say Andy to that crowd. That's more for Chris K, Ginger who are comfortable and happy to play in the latter's case JT Parker and Julian Covey in the same set.

The scene is extremely wide now and the ones who fully understand it are getting the most bookings.

My advice to any DJ who wants to further their Northern Soul career is to look at what you are trying to achieve.

If your heart lies with unpopular but brilliant vinyl, stick to that.

But whichever path you choose, don't complain if you are at a bog standard Soul night and you get asked for The Tomangoes more than twice, because chances are you will do.

Comments removed !

Edited by NSG
Social source share

Unfortunately your example of Andy Dyson isn't a good one :-(

I recently attended "The Box" in Crewe which I have to say is superb and well attended regular event/venue and he didnt have a clue what the audience really wanted, the floor was mostly empty with each track he played, dont get me wrong some of the tunes were first class but totally inappropriate. I even went up and told him his error, LOL, a local chap comes on and straight away the floor is rammed !

Well I know who I'd rather listen to if it came to a choice between Andy and your local chap with his rammed dancefloor……….

Social source share

Well I know who I'd rather listen to if it came to a choice between Andy and your local chap with his rammed dancefloor……….

Well there you go see, you are becoming the minority, especially when venues are springing up left, right and centre - any more and the scene will blow out IMO

As explained this vinyl isn't going to last forever and it needs radical thought if the scene is to get into the next few decades. The only ones that can do and make this happen on the scene today would be some of the ones with the greatest risk but top top DJs like RS, IL and CD could start to play off laptop and have the vinyl to hand.

btw Playing acetates at a OVO event is a piss take especially when an original is avail, not every record is like Shirley Turner for example and NO I wont attend an OVO event on principle now, I now have a wide variety ofg options unlike when I went to Wigan, as I simply couldnt hear those sounds ANYWHERE else.

Steve you have to play the music ppl want to dance or possible listen to OR they wont return - simples 

Edited by NSG
Social source share

Correct Mr Roberts.....

Rant over, LOL

OVO old hat.? Only if you want to break into the djing malarkey and stick some boots or a cd on."Look at me i've filled the floor".

Right place right time.? No some digging /searching for tunes that give credibility to a long time scene and obsession.

You go to your major event with the dj playing off a laptop.I want to hear records played with a passion on ovo whenever possible.

As for the tunes you want to get rid of - good job that attitude wasn't around in the early days,we'd still be dancing to the same club classics now.

There's not much we can say nowadays has value.The little bit of OVO we hold dear,the collectors,the dj's won't be around for ever - or would you throw it away like the "15 minute of fame world" we live in.?

Social source share

OVO old hat.? Only if you want to break into the djing malarkey and stick some boots or a cd on."Look at me i've filled the floor".

Right place right time.? No some digging /searching for tunes that give credibility to a long time scene and obsession.

You go to your major event with the dj playing off a laptop.I want to hear records played with a passion on ovo whenever possible.

As for the tunes you want to get rid of - good job that attitude wasn't around in the early days,we'd still be dancing to the same club classics now.

There's not much we can say nowadays has value.The little bit of OVO we hold dear,the collectors,the dj's won't be around for ever - or would you throw it away like the "15 minute of fame world" we live in.?

Kev, with the greatest respect you are completely missing the point !

Yes in the early days if we havent of had ppl like Searling & Levine to name just two, going to the states searcing for vinyl, we wouldnt of had the tunes we have now, they would of probably been destroyed !

But the actual point here is that vinyl is "old hat" and in the good old days you didn't attend The Torch. The Mecca or Wigan cos you wanted to travelled in such cases hundreds of miles to get to that venue, you went there because vinyl was our only music media then and only certain DJs had the sounds you wanted to hear and they were employed by certain venues

Thats gone, new techo is avail,  so the scene needs to change to survive, hence why and I understand why KR says some of the things he says for example.

Maybe we'll spilt into OVO only for the minority and other venues for the masses who want a good night and listen to quality sets and not bothered what its played from /??

Just saying...............

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes in the early days if we havent of had ppl like Searling & Levine to name just two, going to the states searcing for vinyl, we wouldnt of had the tunes we have now, they would of probably been destroyed !

But the actual point here is that vinyl is "old hat" and in the good old days you didn't attend The Torch. The Mecca or Wigan cos you wanted to travelled in such cases hundreds of miles to get to that venue, you went there because vinyl was our only music media then and only certain DJs had the sounds you wanted to hear and they were employed by certain venues

Thats gone, new techo is avail,  so the scene needs to change to survive, hence why and I understand why KR says some of the things he says for example.

Maybe we'll spilt into OVO only for the minority and other venues for the masses who want a good night and listen to quality sets and not bothered what its played from /??

I agree with many points here,but the Torch has nothing to do with it.(still got me membership though :wink: ).Vinyl may be old hat from a business perspective in comparison to mp3's,laptops etc.But there are many collectors etc still flying the flag and prefer the OVO option. 

Can understand KR wanting a full floor and if it works then that ok.

As for the Andy Dyson comment at the Box,well that scenario has happened a million times and will again.If he'd been some nobody with a laptop,imagine the reaction then.AD can and will pull that round by digging into his OVO,and experience. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Unfortunately your example of Andy Dyson isn't a good one :-(

I recently attended "The Box" in Crewe which I have to say is superb and well attended regular event/venue and he didnt have a clue what the audience really wanted, the floor was mostly empty with each track he played, dont get me wrong some of the tunes were first class but totally inappropriate. I even went up and told him his error, LOL, a local chap comes on and straight away the floor is rammed !

Just when did Andy Dyson DJ at the box at Crewe?  Certainly not recently as far as I am aware?

Social source share

Can you name ANY venue where, within a 50 mile radius, there aren't several perfectly good DJs (with the 'right attitude'!) who between them have original vinyl copies of virtually all of the records your 'masses' want to dance to?

With the possible exception of Frank Wilson, and maybe (only maybe) J. D. Bryant, Billy Woods, or Don Gardner.

Why, in the name of Jumping Jehosephah, do we need your so-called 'techno'?

Why?

Social source share

I can't help feeling this thread is getting out of proportion with 170+ posts. A single white label of Tomangoes played at Blackpool lasting 2.5 minutes over the course of a weekend event when there is probably 50 hours music played in the 2 rooms.

Bloody hell, it must be only 99.9% OVO........I'm finding it hard to understand the fuss (is it OVO collectors who haven't been invited to DJ who are most upset?). If the record played was a legit British Grapevine issue it has had the tax paid to the artist etc, I bet the artist was glad to get some real money from the British release because they probably got bugger all from their Washpan release given it sold in such small numbers. 

Kev Roberts selects DJ's for their skill and ability to manage the dance floor and having attended in the past the DJ's are bloody good at their job.

Next year we are going to Blackpool and plan to dance and socialise; we have no plans to stand at the side of dance floor and spend time watching a 7" piece of plastic spin on a turntable. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can you name ANY venue where, within a 50 mile radius, there aren't several perfectly good DJs (with the 'right attitude'!) who between them have original vinyl copies of virtually all of the records your 'masses' want to dance to?

With the possible exception of Frank Wilson, and maybe (only maybe) J. D. Bryant, Billy Woods, or Don Gardner.

Why?

Fair point should said venues be able to get said DJs etc, but as stated already if original vinyl is constantly played, its gonna wear out at somepoint  ........................

Social source share

Fair point should said venues be able to get said DJs etc, but as stated already if original vinyl is constantly played, its gonna wear out at somepoint  ........................

OK. But that is not an argument for not booking willing DJs, who are happy to share their vinyl treasures with the attendees.

It is, perhaps, an argument for persuading collectors and DJs not to be so cavalier as to want to go anywhere near a set of turntables with their prized and loved possessions. But that is not what this thread is about.

There are more than enough competent DJs, with the desired records, happy to do the service of playing them out.

Edited by Peter Richer
Social source share

Why?

Well I can add to that list - there's a few tracks that I like that only Chris King appears to have

Social source share

And top OVO Djs want top pay!.......most club promoters can`t pay that, from there we get the OVO collectors which will be glad to DJ for £20 - £30 but who are not DJs by any means, they are collectors and there is a big difference (Read my posts #102 & 119) most do not have a clue!

So now we get the guys who don`t have completely originals only but not far off but they do know their stuff and do a bloody good job of keeping the floor full..... they play a few re-issues as and when requested by the paying public. Not a problem with that at all.

Up next though is a bloke who really can not DJ at all but he has a really good Stardust collection of all the top tunes and the added bonus of letting you hear the next record as he cues it up so you know whether your gonna dance or not.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

... and presumably he must have those exclusive tracks on vinyl. 

Which, of course, strengthens the argument for booking the DJs who actually have the proper records! Thanks.

Touche, but these few records which only one or two have got, doesn't make a vast difference tbf. The days of "years gone by" are gone and there are loads of DJs with loads of originals now, but what my previous point was it that the majority of ppl attending non OVO events aren't really bothered by the media its played from.....

Social source share

With what? Name the records that he has exclusive access to ...

OK one example and please correct me if I'm wrong ...............

He has the only Jobette copy of Joe Stubbs - Hit & Run, i've never heard anyone else play it 

Social source share

OK one example and please correct me if I'm wrong ...............

He has the only Jobette copy of Joe Stubbs - Hit & Run, i've never heard anyone else play it 

If that is true, and the 'masses' are clamouring to dance to it, then like I said - that is an argument for booking the DJ who has the actual record.

Is it on Stardust, Casino Classics, or Black Magic ...?

Social source share

If that is true, and the 'masses' are clamouring to dance to it, then like I said - that is an argument for booking the DJ who has the actual record.

Is it on Stardust, Casino Classics, or Black Magic ...?

I've already explained what label its on, plus this situation as explained previously by another member is very rare nowadays ...............  and Yes every time i've heard him play it its always got excellent attention on the dancefloor !

Social source share

Touche, but these few records which only one or two have got, doesn't make a vast difference tbf. The days of "years gone by" are gone and there are loads of DJs with loads of originals now, but what my previous point was it that the majority of ppl attending non OVO events aren't really bothered by the media its played from.....

Actually, your original post was somewhat muddled (excuse me for saying so), but in its midst was this gem:

'I want to hear amazing & proper NS you can dance to, not hear stuff that someone has paid large amounts of money for, Kev get rid of the DJs with expense OVO collections and get DJs who know what the audience want to play'.

Which I believe I covered in post 179. You've gone round in circles and off on tangents since then.

I think you might need to lie down for a bit, or just relax with a big glass of single malt. Not a bad idea in fact ... I might do so myself!

After all, it is Friday afternoon ... 

Cheers.

:wink:

Social source share

Actually, your original post was somewhat muddled (excuse me for saying so), but in its midst was this gem:

'I want to hear amazing & proper NS you can dance to, not hear stuff that someone has paid large amounts of money for, Kev get rid of the DJs with expense OVO collections and get DJs who know what the audience want to play'.

Which I believe I covered in post 179. You've gone round in circles and off on tangents since then.

I think you might need to lie down for a bit, or just relax with a big glass of single malt. Not a bad idea in fact ... I might do so myself!

After all, it is Friday afternoon ... 

Cheers.

:wink:

Not really but thanks for the offer ........ What I was trying to achieve is debate several points or angles at once, sorry

In essence what i'm saying is that if the venue is OVO, thats fair enough and acetates should NOT be played nor re-issues if ORIGINALS are in existence else whats the point of saying "lets have an OVO event", so therefore IMO Darrell Banks could only be played on Revilot not London ( stock or demo )  nor Stateside :-).

However, my main point is that the majority of soulies aren't bothered nowadays what medium its played from,  as long as they play the "kind of stuff" they what to hear which is where KR is having to balance and I think this is the direction vaious venues are taking, some down one path , others another ..........

Social source share

although i have many100's of original soul 7's bought in the 80's and 90's i dont have the money to get all the great tunes i love such as "soulful wrath" by Rudy love . i do a bit of djing and have done for 25 years, i put some bootlegs in with my originals. i would love to own all my records on original vinyl but i also like to own a classic car, scooter and a few nice holidays. i dont see anything wrong with a bit of license. i would never play a box of bootlegs and i would tread on original toes but i dont see a kent version of the Antellects "love slave" iin a set of mostly original records as heresy. i always allow boot leg djs to play on my ticket if they are entertaining a crowd. A box of original and expensive records rarely played is as far away from the definition of soul as  as possible. in fact killing a great tune by a wonderfull voice that recorded a track full of skill and craft is bloody criminal.

Social source share

Not really but thanks for the offer ........ What I was trying to achieve is debate several points or angles at once, sorry

In essence what i'm saying is that if the venue is OVO, thats fair enough and acetates should NOT be played nor re-issues if ORIGINALS are in existence else whats the point of saying "lets have an OVO event", so therefore IMO Darrell Banks could only be played on Revilot not London ( stock or demo )  nor Stateside :-).

However, my main point is that the majority of soulies aren't bothered nowadays what medium its played from,  as long as they play the "kind of stuff" they what to hear which is where KR is having to balance and I think this is the direction vaious venues are taking, some down one path , others another ..........

Which brings us back to post 179. Which you actually agreed with by the way (post 182).

Except you then, on a tangent, decided to imply that promoters shouldn't book DJs with original vinyl because it might wear their records out.

Oh Lordy ... give us strength ... !!!

Social source share

Which brings us back to post 179. Which you actually agreed with by the way (post 182).

Except you then, on a tangent, decided to imply that promoters shouldn't book DJs with original vinyl because it might wear their records out.

Oh Lordy ... give us strength ... !!!

LOL, no at somepoint these records are going to wear out just like any content on a CD will be lost in time, thats its nature, However we are in the 21 century with new technology which I think we should head towards

Just think, all those records never backed up, copied, played to death or destroyed and then that sound is lost forever ................

At somepoint is the NS still exists in decades to come, it will have to move forward

Social source share

no we are just getting silly

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really? That will fill the dance floor with the 'masses'?

Please do divulge the titles ...

Another title I know he definitely has,  but maybe NOT totally exclusive to just him but there aint many copies AFAIK

Sidney Barnes - Safety Zone

Edited by NSG
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!