Off To Berlin - Tips Please

Godzilla

I'm going to be in Berlin for a few days in late November. It's been on my list for a long time, but never seemed to get round to it, so I quite excited about the prospect.

The trip is Midweek unfortunately, so probably not the time to check out any local soul/funk nights. I'd still appreciate some tips regarding good bars to hit though, preferably some with decent music. I'm cool with anything funky or jazzy and equally at home with mod, garage, rockabilly etc. No house/techno please and a couple of our mates are not mad on hip hop, so best avoid that. 

Ideas about somewhere nice to eat would be welcome as I'll actually be there on my birthday. There are a few of us going with varying budgets so I'm thinking not quite fine dining, but a nice sort of mid-range restaurant.

I'd also be grateful for any recommendations for things to do in the daytime - although I imagine the three days we're there will be filled up pretty quickly. I would like to hit a couple of record shops if possible, of course...

I know we have a few members based in Germany and it would be great to hear from them - and to also hear impressions from UK citizens who have visited.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Social source share

hi,

living for years in Berlin --- and the only thing is what i can say: Soul Scene is growing!

Many nice small locations, but a little bit confusing for "tourists" ... The best IMO the "LIDO" At The Soul Inn. But closed the doors in August i think

Residents were Christian Göbel and Kristian Auth (Soul Scene Cologne with Matt Fox)

Many great UK Djs played there sessions in the LIDO: Callum Simpson, Wayne Napier Gibbins ... French Guy Laurent Reus and Mr. Optical Sound.

Was great Time ...  :(

I like personally the SoulCat in Neukölln, small but great atmosphere if the right tracks are coming. Changes daily between Northern, R´n`B, Garage, Latin and Popcorn.

Another Garage Store is in Kreuzkölln called Wowlsville. Nice location with bordering record-store (mainly 45s) in the back.

I Think Marc Forrest do some great Sessions aswell weekly ... but i´m not sure.

i hope that fits ... let me know if you could enjoy your BerlinWeek

Zanetti

Edited by Zanetti
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wonderful city, Godz.

Went last year and will have to dig my guide out to remind me of the places we ate at and drank. There was one particular funky bar with a good vibe but I just can't remember what it was called.

Didn't do any music gaffs but am sure others will come good.

The amount of unlisted - as not in the guides - of substantial and historical buildings is mind blowing.

Did a tour round the city on a canal barge type thing which was worth it. 

Postamerplatz is worth a view at night and we went on the fastest elevator in Europe in the Kollhoff Building there.

Usual sightseeing stuff is definitely worth doing - Holocaust Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, the Wall, Reichstag Building, Brandenburg Gate etc. I also did the Bauhaus Archive and the Museum fur Naturkunde which are my type of thing.

Word of warning - if you are flying, which I guess you are - don't book the flights and then pay for them, only to find you've booked and paid for flights to Bremen instead! Not me, I'll add, my other half.

Anyway that 400 mile round road trip was worth it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Usual sightseeing stuff is definitely worth doing - Holocaust Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, the Wall, Reichstag Building, Brandenburg Gate etc. I also did the Bauhaus Archive and the Museum fur Naturkunde which are my type of thing.

DDR-Museum ... How was the living in the DDR ... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great tips so far guys - I knew I could rely on you. Getting flights to the correct city seems like an essential piece of advice :lol:

Essential, as is making sure you've got enough time to get back to Bremen for the return flight.

Which I didn't..............

Oh and I bagged a 110 euro speeding fine in the process.

An interesting trip all round.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Great tips so far guys - I knew I could rely on you. Getting flights to the correct city seems like an essential piece of advice :lol:

Get a train into city from the airport (although you will need exact money, and I'm sorry but can't remember how much it is) rather than a taxi as it was about 4 Euros on train whereas taxi is about 40. I'm sure a website somewhere will give the details.

Also, if you go to the Reichstag building (which you should do) you need to book in advance AND (crucial, this) take your passport with you for ID when you get there or they won't let you in, even if you have pre-booked. Its also free to get in if you do this.

Great city. Try eating the pork knuckle somewhere. 

But I don't think you will find any record shops of any interest.

Social source share

Get a train into city from the airport (although you will need exact money, and I'm sorry but can't remember how much it is) rather than a taxi as it was about 4 Euros on train whereas taxi is about 40. I'm sure a website somewhere will give the details.

Also, if you go to the Reichstag building (which you should do) you need to book in advance AND (crucial, this) take your passport with you for ID when you get there or they won't let you in, even if you have pre-booked. Its also free to get in if you do this.

Great city. Try eating the pork knuckle somewhere. 

But I don't think you will find any record shops of any interest.

Thanks John. We've booked the Reichstag trip today as it happens and Mrs G spotted the bit about needing ID. Pork knuckle sounds alright though! More food tips please :D

Social source share

I'm going to be in Berlin for a few days in late November. It's been on my list for a long time, but never seemed to get round to it, so I quite excited about the prospect.

The trip is Midweek unfortunately, so probably not the time to check out any local soul/funk nights. I'd still appreciate some tips regarding good bars to hit though, preferably some with decent music. I'm cool with anything funky or jazzy and equally at home with mod, garage, rockabilly etc. No house/techno please and a couple of our mates are not mad on hip hop, so best avoid that. 

Ideas about somewhere nice to eat would be welcome as I'll actually be there on my birthday. There are a few of us going with varying budgets so I'm thinking not quite fine dining, but a nice sort of mid-range restaurant.

I'd also be grateful for any recommendations for things to do in the daytime - although I imagine the three days we're there will be filled up pretty quickly. I would like to hit a couple of record shops if possible, of course...

I know we have a few members based in Germany and it would be great to hear from them - and to also hear impressions from UK citizens who have visited.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Wish i was going with you, great city indeed.. Messaged you mate...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!