If You Were New To The Scene

Been done before, I know and to be honest I love both. Whether I've heard a tune 1000 times or for the first time. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, if you didn't know anything about Northern soul and never heard an oldie or a newie, which would you prefer. I got no idea.

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

if you were new to the scene you wouldn't be able to differentiate, surely warren?

so you'd just like good records, be they oldies or very oldies :yes:

Social source share

hiya guys!

well i am new to the scene - (check how many post i've done) and also check my thread here: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32247

i have to say that Dan, your pretty much right: -

if you were new to the scene you wouldn't be able to differentiate, surely warren?

so you'd just like good records, be they oldies or very oldies :wicked:

i myself can't tell the difference between oldies and 'old new' tunes.

like right now im listening to the Velours - I'm gonna change, which i keep hearing at the Heywood civic when they have their N/S 'do's' on but my version is much slower and infact i like the slower version to that of what gets played in Heywood Civic.

i think it comes to who has introduced you to the scene and what tunes they like, as inevitably whatever tunes they like are the ones that you are going to hear them play most often and so, as in my case, ended up liking them tunes! but then from there (like what i'm doing now), i'm going on to listen to other tunes that the person who introduced me to the scene might not necessarily like!

so that's my two-penneth's worth! tehehehehe!Monkey_wink.gif

wavy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I would want to hear all the newies first so when i did hear some oldies they would sound new to me, would the newies then be classed as oldies and the oldies newies if so im now confused, :lol: i love it all oldies newies even newies oldies. :wicked:

Bearsy

Social source share

ive been going to local nights for a couple of years , although most of the time i know what the tracks are as they mainly play the classic oldies i still find myself hounding anyone within earshot occasionally asking what the track being played is

i usually get told "you must know this its a classic oldie etc "

so one mans classic played oldie can be another persons new discovery

but id usually sooner sit through an hour of total tripe and hear one track that i really like that i havent heard before than an hour of stuff that i already know

why cant people mix it up abit during their set

Social source share

Guest martyn

hiya guys!

well i am new to the scene - (check how many post i've done) and also check my thread here: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32247

i have to say that Dan, your pretty much right: -

i myself can't tell the difference between oldies and 'old new' tunes.

like right now im listening to the Velours - I'm gonna change, which i keep hearing at the Heywood civic when they have their N/S 'do's' on but my version is much slower and infact i like the slower version to that of what gets played in Heywood Civic.

i think it comes to who has introduced you to the scene and what tunes they like, as inevitably whatever tunes they like are the ones that you are going to hear them play most often and so, as in my case, ended up liking them tunes! but then from there (like what i'm doing now), i'm going on to listen to other tunes that the person who introduced me to the scene might not necessarily like!

so that's my two-penneth's worth! tehehehehe!Monkey_wink.gif

wavy

Hi Wavy-I don't know for sure but the faster version of I'm Gonna Change you refer to is possibly The Four Seasons LP track..........Anyway enjoy!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I vaguely remember being new to the scene....I used to dash over to my mates..."wow I've just heard this fantastic new record" I also remember their amusement as they pointed out that it was a played out oldie. :thumbsup:

Ignorance is bliss :thumbsup:

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

i've just decided in the past few days that i like oldies better than newies. if newie-oldies are crossover/70's then i definately prefer oldies!!! :lol:

wAvy :)

Social source share

When I was 'new to the scene' the only difference I knew was 'good tune' 'don't like that one' and it still is.

There are great records right across the genre but they are as inidividual to me in the liking as they are in the production :lol:

Welcome to the scene wAvy! Hope you're enjoying it out and about.

Social source share

I have this theory that even on these quite insulated scenes, the current 'sound' does in some way reflect mainstream musical tastes in a subtle way.

If someone says 'this sounds right for todays scene' about a record, you sort of know what it's going to sound like. Why? people can't help but absorb the mood around them and reflect it in their tastes.

That, to me, is why many 70s spins sound so wrong now, despite being massive at the time.

Whenever those records were actually made, they reflect 70s tastes not current tastes.

Obviously, some fit in in both eras.

Therefore, I would want to hear the current floor-fillers and biggies. If an oldie still sounds so good, it probably gets played still anyway.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

I have this theory that even on these quite insulated scenes, the current 'sound' does in some way reflect mainstream musical tastes in a subtle way.

Actually one of my points. Because the Northern soul scene has been running for nearly 40 years each 5-6 years brings a new sound to the fold. Oldies from Wigan have a different sound to Stafford etc. And if you think of how many styles of music are wrapped around the name Northern soul it's bewildering. The controversial thing is that I think soul (and I mean soul not pop) tunes played in the 70's have a more captivating and (dare I say it) better sound than many new (new meaning new to the scene) tunes played today. You may not agree but again its all down to personal preference, anyway.

Warren

Social source share

arrrgghhhh! after reading what you lot have just put (and confused me totally!) i am now undecided again! i realise there is a lot more to just oldies and newie oldies!

Oldies from Wigan have a different sound to Stafford etc. And if you think of how many styles of music are wrapped around the name Northern soul it's bewildering.

i think (i'm not too sure) that i like the 'Wigan' sound as they are the tunes i've been introduced to! :P

basically, Soulgirl (hiya yourself - i am enjoying it here!) you have the right attitude - to listen to whatever you think sounds good whether it be oldie/newie-oldie/from Wigan/Stafford and wherever else there is!

i think most ppl do that with music anway; if it sounds shite, then it doesn't get listened to!

wAvy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!