Peter99

Seen Any Good Films Recently

Evening All

We've had a few film threads in the past - not including the numerous recent threads about the Northern Soul film, so I thought resurrect the theme.

I've not watched a decent film for a bit - rely on Virgin Media as I don't go to the pictures, and there's been nowt decent on for ages. I have planned to watch the new film about Tony Benn - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2636424/

It looks good.

Anyone seen that or have any other recommendations. And remember it's about good films - not rubbish ones!

Peter

I watched 1962 movie It's Trad, Dad, starring Helen Shapiro, John Leyton, Gene McDaniels, Gary US Bonds, Craig Douglas, other pop stars of the era and loads of crappy trad jazz bands as well.  I actually really enjoyed it!

Last recent film I saw was called "Northern Soul"

Northern Soul. Best film I have ever seen. The props....lingo....music...and well.....'the way it wos back in the day'....captured correctly. Shocked....speechless and indeed these are the first comments I have made about it in here or anywhere really. Less is more.....you all tell me that!x I also know if u can't improve on silence....then shut up. I have. As a film maker.....someone who lived through that era....and frequented the scene........yeah.......speechless. Consider that my finest compliment....X Respects to all....X

LUV
SOOTY
X

EDIT....it ain't enuff....so I will add this. Elaine...X....when I say 'watched it'....I mean with a 25fps head on.....ears tuned to millisecond sound....and eyes that spot every detail and luv'd the s belt!!x Editing over 100 'films' in the past 15 years does that to ya...init!x The only constructive thing I can say as a result of my scrutiny is.......when is part 2?!x Simply BRILLIANT....end of....and you know it.....which I like...X

As for the apparent surprise by the industry and straights out there of its box office success........given the guaranteed market to start with.....and the 'network marketing' principle applied Nationally......then.....yaaaaawn.....init!x Guaranteed....knew that before u had it in the can........fantastic and deserving....X

www.matso.tv  We just do covert stuff these days and it don't go public and don't do make up or pretend props....makes us loooads and keeps order!!!hehe!!x....but it gives an idea of where we came from....'technically'.....!x THANK YOU and all involved....for your dedication and effort too...well......us all...and the scene....X Captured for posterity.......job done....I RECKON...X

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

RIP Fran....X

Edited by SOOTY

took the kids to the cinema last week over the holiday and we watched 'Box Trolls', you come to just accept Kids films dont you but once in a while you get a really good one, this was brilliant.. as good as 'Wreck it Ralph...'

Grown up film I got '30 days of Night'  which is quite old, 2007 but worth seeing if you like Horror films..the vampires were very quick!!

"Marvelous" about Neil "Nello" Baldwin. Fella who had learning difficulties but managed to do all sorts of things in with his life. Funny, heartwarming BBC film with Toby Jones as Nello. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-27584577

Gone Girl was quite fun if you like being reminded of what it could have been like if you actually married the slightly nutty bird you dumped some years back, fearing she may well one day kill you, or worse.  

Grown up film I got '30 days of Night'  which is quite old, 2007 but worth seeing if you like Horror films..the vampires were very quick!!

Set in Barrow, Alaska, not to be confused with Barrow, Cumbria, which is a lot more scary than its American namesake.

Somebody I know (not Wales Wallace :D) saw Interstellar over the weekend and said it was the best film he's seen in years. He gave me the impression that you have to be a sci-fi fan (which I am not) to fully appreciate it. Any one else seen it?

I get all my DVD's from flea markets or "cheap stuff" shops and recently I bought "Jimmy and Judy" when I saw that Edward Furlong (remember Little Odessa ?) was in it. I wasn't disappointed, it's an interesting film with a story similar to "Naturel Born Killers" buth more original in the filming.

Another good film I saw recently was "Strapped", directed by Forest Whitaker. There may be some exceptions but usually films directed by actors are more interesting (e.g. Sean Penn).

Somebody I know (not Wales Wallace :D) saw Interstellar over the weekend and said it was the best film he's seen in years. He gave me the impression that you have to be a sci-fi fan (which I am not) to fully appreciate it. Any one else seen it?

I went to see it yesterday and really enjoyed it. If you like sci-fi I think you'd like it.

Just watched Soul Boys Of The Western World.

Nothing to do with soul, but cracking documentary, about the start, rise, big time & fall out of Spandau Ballet.

Tons and tons of ace 70's 80's never seen seen before footage, from school/early days, Blitz Club with Rusty Egan, then on to the big time, touring round the world, then eventual fall out ending up in the high court, really enjoyed it, well put together and total warts and all film, tell the whole story, the footage is amazing.

I liked it a lot, recommended. :thumbsup:

Nothing to do with soul, but cracking documentary, about the start, rise, big time & fall out of Spandau Ballet.

Tons and tons of ace 70's 80's never seen seen before footage, from school/early days, Blitz Club with Rusty Egan, then on to the big time, touring round the world, then eventual fall out ending up in the high court, really enjoyed it, well put together and total warts and all film, tell the whole story, the footage is amazing.

To cut a long story short, it's worth seeing.

I've got this ready to watch at the weekend too

I've got this ready to watch at the weekend too

I reckon you'll like it Pete, some great archive footage & stuff, I'd forgotten they actually really were cool dudes when they first hit the scene, and what a life they had too.

I remember them not touring but having one off clic gigs on the early days, clever marketing at the time, it worked, they got signed up then they went mainstream it tells the whole story.

over the last few months I have made 3 rare appearances at the cinema to watch ;-

Northern Soul - its all been said, thought it was ok ,.

Pride - about a gay and lesbian group supporting the south wales miners during the 84/85 miners strike,. excellent .

Fury - ww2 war film starring drab tip ,. rubbish

I thought '71 - the film about the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland was one of the bet things I have seen in a while.

I really want to see this !

last few weeks I seen 'night crawler' 'gone girl' and 'mr turner' all really strong autumn releases !!!

'nightcrawler' is exceptional .

Edited by polyvelts

last few weeks I seen 'night crawler' 'gone girl' and 'mr turner' all really strong autumn releases !!!

I had forgotten 'Nightcrawler' - and you are bang on the money, it is an outstanding movie.

Going to see 'The drop' tomorrow, I am really hoping it lives up to the hype! 

Best films I've watched of late

Wolf of wall Street

Django

Twelve yrs a slave

Ok,not exactly new out,but all three were exceptional!

Can't argue with any of those Nev, great films, all three were Oscar nominated and rightly so, this is why I like it when the Oscars come round, it always flags up the wheat from the chaff & puts them on the radar each year.

Can't argue with any of those Nev, great films, all three were Oscar nominated and rightly so, this is why I like it when the Oscars come round, it always flags up the wheat from the chaff & puts them on the radar each year.

The oscars never fails to leave me scratching my head and muttering wtf when they announce the winners.  I find some of the other awards more relevant, golden globes etc.  

However I thought 2013 with 12 years was fully justified, not so sure about Argo the year before mind when Djano was the best film I saw all year and 2011 must have been a bad year for films for The Artist to win!

Edited by chalky

Gone Girl and Nightcrawler I've heard nothing but good about them and they are on the list of to watch!

The oscars never fails to leave me scratching my head and muttering wtf when they announce the winners. I find some of the other awards more relevant, golden gloves etc.

However I thought 2013 with 12 years was fully justified, not so sure about Argo the year before mind when Djano was the best film I saw all year and 2011 must have been a bad year for films for The Artist to win!

Nah, I didn't get The Artist either, last year was very strong. Not really fussed bout the winners, it just puts films on the radar, like great left field films like Juno, just because they are nominated.

Agree bout Palme dO'r, some of my favourite ever films have won at Cannes, The Three Colours Trilogy, Pele The Conquerer & Cinema Paradiso all better than snything out of Hollywood.

Before we watch a film we always check its IMDb rating, saves time watching cr@p, if the review ratings are over 7 (the ratings are votes by people that have seen it) I find they are usually good over 7, anything less not so good, works for me.

Gone Girl and Nightcrawler I've heard nothing but good about them and they are on the list of to watch!

One to look out for is 'The Birdman', a friend saw a preview and was raving about it.

The trouble with getting recommendations for films is exactly the same as, books, records, cars etc. etc.

We all have differing tastes and what does it for one person won't do it for another.

The trouble with getting recommendations for films is exactly the same as, books, records, cars etc. etc.

We all have differing tastes and what does it for one person won't do it for another.

Of course this is true Quinv, but IMDb ratings are done on mass, while this is not foolproof, if a movie has a rating if say 3.5 from 3000 different movie enthusiastic film buffs, it's safe to assume it won't be much cop, but I do take your point, of course you have to make up your own mind.

Thing is, with xbmc I can watch anything I want to watch, so with all that choice, I dont want to be wasting time & so want to filter, so, like I say IMDb works for me.

Of course this is true Quinv, but IMDb ratings are done on mass, while this is not foolproof, if a movie has a rating if say 3.5 from 3000 different movie enthusiastic film buffs, it's safe to assume it won't be much cop, but I do take your point, of course you have to make up your own mind.

Thing is, with xbmc I can watch anything I want to watch, so with all that choice, I dont want to be wasting time & so want to filter, so, like I say IMDb works for me.

I use IMDB all the time and like you to get a quick opinion via the ratings.  Less than 5 I generally don't bother with them.

I thought '71 - the film about the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland was one of the bet things I have seen in a while.

watched it on plane this week as on hol in orlando great film enjoyed Hercules as well

watched it on plane this week as on hol in orlando great film enjoyed Hercules as well

Not seen 71, I'll check it out.

I like most things to dealing with The Troubles oddly enough, some great documentaries too.

I remember Cal, also itv did a great one called Shoot To Kill. Look forward to seeing 71.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules

I've got a xmbc android box plugs in back tv watch all the latest films shows etc free the likes of fury-71-great bit of kit

This is all like a foreign language to me. Where do you get the box from, and how do you download the program onto it? Aren't there legal issues of  copyright or something? :g:  

This is all like a foreign language to me. Where do you get the box from, and how do you download the program onto it? Aren't there legal issues of  copyright or something? :g:  

Get all you need from here Quinvy, no legal issues for end users.

Edit: PM me if you want some links/info as not sure I should post em up on here.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules

Get all you need from here Quinvy, no legal issues for end users.

Edit: PM me if you want some links/info as not sure I should post em up on here.

yep always best keep talk and links etc off as can affect the site due to the legal issues  :thumbsup:

cheers

mike

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links