Peter99

Seen Any Good Films Recently

1 minute ago, Soulfool said:

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

I wish more films were that length, most films I see these days 80% are overly long, 90 mins used to be standard.

17 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

Mark Kermode gave it a mention on his Secrets of Cinema show on the horror genre last night on BBC4.

On 23/05/2017 at 18:20, WoodButcher said:

"John Wick : Chapter Two" ... if you like a movie with a high body count this one's for you ... :thumbsup:

Just watched both films again, and I was wondering when Chapter 3 is coming out.  After stealing his car, killing his dog and blowing up his house, I reckon they're going to trash his vinyl collection next.

My eldest lad brought a Bluray copy of Avengers Infinity War round on Monday night.  I would recommend watching the previous Avenger movies and the latest Thor instalment (Ragnorak) beforehand, along with Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange.  Infinity War brings a lot of the major Marvel superheroes together and is action all the way.  It seems like the culmination of all the previous mainstream Marvel films in one ultimate showdown with the villain of the piece, Thanos.  The ending is a bit of a shocker, and will certainly have fans of the genre guessing on how they're going to follow it up.  A very enjoyable two and a half hours.

Was hoping to come here tonight to add "Hurricane" to the list ..... 

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to recommend it , having just watched it I believe it sits very comfortably alongside "Dunkirk" in the  'eagerly awaited but dreadfully disappointing' category  ....  :(

It is a piece of our history that needed bringing to the attention of a wider audience but the few good performances were outweighed by some dreadfully wooden ones , very poor CGI air-combat sequences and a myriad of inaccuracies and ill-placed cliches . 

( A Union Flag flying upside down in 'the' Victory parade being the biggest howler ... :facepalm: )

Could have been a great and fitting tribute to the crews of 303 Squadron ... but it's not ... :(

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Was hoping to come here tonight to add "Hurricane" to the list ..... 

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to recommend it , having just watched it I believe it sits very comfortably alongside "Dunkirk" in the  'eagerly awaited but dreadfully disappointing' category  ....  :(

It is a piece of our history that needed bringing to the attention of a wider audience but the few good performances were outweighed by some dreadfully wooden ones , very poor CGI air-combat sequences and a myriad of inaccuracies and ill-placed cliches . 

( A Union Flag flying upside down in 'the' Victory parade being the biggest howler ... :facepalm: )

Could have been a great and fitting tribute to the crews of 303 Squadron ... but it's not ... :(

Amazing how this compares with this review:

A must for WWII history lovers

druzdzel22 August 2018
I have just watched this movie and loved it. I am familiar with the history of the Kosciuszko Squadron (a.k.a.Squadron 303) and the movie is faithful to it. I was watching it through my Polish eyes and I have not seen anything that would smell like Hollywood and that would be absurd in terms of the behavior or words spoken by the Poles in the movie. Good job on reflecting the Polish spirit of the fighters. Highly recommended!

Ed

26 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Amazing how this compares with this review:

A must for WWII history lovers

druzdzel22 August 2018
I have just watched this movie and loved it. I am familiar with the history of the Kosciuszko Squadron (a.k.a.Squadron 303) and the movie is faithful to it. I was watching it through my Polish eyes and I have not seen anything that would smell like Hollywood and that would be absurd in terms of the behavior or words spoken by the Poles in the movie. Good job on reflecting the Polish spirit of the fighters. Highly recommended!

Ed

Amazing how you happened to pick that one review to post rather than all of them , but I guess that would show that I'm not alone in slating it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7515456/reviews

All I can suggest is you watch it for yourself and give us your opinion afterwards ... :yes:

( But don't say I didn't warn you if you reach a similar conclusion to myself )

It beat the hell out of watching Strictly or some footie match though I must admit ... :thumbsup:

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-eyed at times but none of the howling that echoed round the Odeon way back then ... :sweatingbullets:

original_bambi_movie_poster_by_ryanthescooterguy-d3anz2t.thumb.jpg.29438b5236f8c0b379933472eed0b23f.jpg

Shall now be trawling through some more Disney classics.

14 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-eyed at times but none of the howling that echoed round the Odeon way back then ... :sweatingbullets:

original_bambi_movie_poster_by_ryanthescooterguy-d3anz2t.thumb.jpg.29438b5236f8c0b379933472eed0b23f.jpg

Wonderful Movie and i too shed a few tears back then (and still do) Along with the likes of 'Dumbo' Fond Memories Indeed..............   Rick

14 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Hard to believe that was first released in 1942.  Here's Walt explaining the Multiplane camera.....

Molly's Game, based on the true story of Molly Bloom, who hosted high stakes poker games after her dreams of becoming an Olympic skier were dashed.  Everything was fine until the Russian Mob got involved and she was paid a visit by the FBI.  Jessica Chastain in the title role with Idris Elba as her defence lawyer.....

Watched "The Post" last night, with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.  Tells how The Washington Post changed from being a local newspaper to the major national it is today, alongside the New York Times.  The freedom of the press comes to the fore as the Nixon administration try to suppress the publishing of papers documenting decades of American involvement in Vietnam.  Interesting stuff.

I've seen Molly's Game and The Post recently too. Both great films.

I'd like to know the identity of player X in Molly's Game - it must be a famous movie star.

Meryl Street is superb in The Post

30 minutes ago, daved said:

I've seen Molly's Game and The Post recently too. Both great films.

I'd like to know the identity of player X in Molly's Game - it must be a famous movie star.

Meryl Street is superb in The Post

Toby Maguire is the nuts.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.