Peter99 profile photo

Seen Any Good Films Recently

Posted

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Soulfool said:

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

 I wish more films were that length, most films I see these days 80% are overly long, 90 mins used to be standard.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

Mark Kermode gave it a mention on his Secrets of Cinema show on the horror genre last night on BBC4.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 23/05/2017 at 18:20, WoodButcher said:

"John Wick : Chapter Two" ... if you like a movie with a high body count this one's for you ... :thumbsup:

 

Just watched both films again, and I was wondering when Chapter 3 is coming out.  After stealing his car, killing his dog and blowing up his house, I reckon they're going to trash his vinyl collection next.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

My eldest lad brought a Bluray copy of Avengers Infinity War round on Monday night.  I would recommend watching the previous Avenger movies and the latest Thor instalment (Ragnorak) beforehand, along with Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange.  Infinity War brings a lot of the major Marvel superheroes together and is action all the way.  It seems like the culmination of all the previous mainstream Marvel films in one ultimate showdown with the villain of the piece, Thanos.  The ending is a bit of a shocker, and will certainly have fans of the genre guessing on how they're going to follow it up.  A very enjoyable two and a half hours.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

BlackKklansman 

latest Spike Lee joint

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Was hoping to come here tonight to add "Hurricane" to the list ..... 

 

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to recommend it , having just watched it I believe it sits very comfortably alongside "Dunkirk" in the  'eagerly awaited but dreadfully disappointing' category  ....  :(

 

It is a piece of our history that needed bringing to the attention of a wider audience but the few good performances were outweighed by some dreadfully wooden ones , very poor CGI air-combat sequences and a myriad of inaccuracies and ill-placed cliches . 

 

 ( A Union Flag flying upside down in 'the' Victory parade being the biggest howler ... :facepalm: )

 

Could have been a great and fitting tribute to the crews of 303 Squadron ... but it's not ... :(

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Was hoping to come here tonight to add "Hurricane" to the list ..... 

 

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to recommend it , having just watched it I believe it sits very comfortably alongside "Dunkirk" in the  'eagerly awaited but dreadfully disappointing' category  ....  :(

 

It is a piece of our history that needed bringing to the attention of a wider audience but the few good performances were outweighed by some dreadfully wooden ones , very poor CGI air-combat sequences and a myriad of inaccuracies and ill-placed cliches . 

 

 ( A Union Flag flying upside down in 'the' Victory parade being the biggest howler ... :facepalm: )

 

Could have been a great and fitting tribute to the crews of 303 Squadron ... but it's not ... :(

 

 

Amazing how this compares with this review:

 

A must for WWII history lovers

druzdzel22 August 2018
I have just watched this movie and loved it. I am familiar with the history of the Kosciuszko Squadron (a.k.a.Squadron 303) and the movie is faithful to it. I was watching it through my Polish eyes and I have not seen anything that would smell like Hollywood and that would be absurd in terms of the behavior or words spoken by the Poles in the movie. Good job on reflecting the Polish spirit of the fighters. Highly recommended!
 
Ed

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
26 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Amazing how this compares with this review:

 

A must for WWII history lovers

druzdzel22 August 2018
I have just watched this movie and loved it. I am familiar with the history of the Kosciuszko Squadron (a.k.a.Squadron 303) and the movie is faithful to it. I was watching it through my Polish eyes and I have not seen anything that would smell like Hollywood and that would be absurd in terms of the behavior or words spoken by the Poles in the movie. Good job on reflecting the Polish spirit of the fighters. Highly recommended!
 
Ed

 

Amazing how you happened to pick that one review to post rather than all of them , but I guess that would show that I'm not alone in slating it.

 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7515456/reviews

 

All I can suggest is you watch it for yourself and give us your opinion afterwards ... :yes:

 

( But don't say I didn't warn you if you reach a similar conclusion to myself )

 

 

It beat the hell out of watching Strictly or some footie match though I must admit ... :thumbsup:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

You are probably right.

 

Ed

 

 

Screenshot_20180908-231718.png

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-eyed at times but none of the howling that echoed round the Odeon way back then ... :sweatingbullets:

 

original_bambi_movie_poster_by_ryanthescooterguy-d3anz2t.thumb.jpg.29438b5236f8c0b379933472eed0b23f.jpg

Shall now be trawling through some more Disney classics.

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-eyed at times but none of the howling that echoed round the Odeon way back then ... :sweatingbullets:

 

original_bambi_movie_poster_by_ryanthescooterguy-d3anz2t.thumb.jpg.29438b5236f8c0b379933472eed0b23f.jpg

Shall now be trawling through some more Disney classics.

 

Wonderful Movie and i too shed a few tears back then (and still do) Along with the likes of 'Dumbo' Fond Memories Indeed..............   Rick

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-eyed at times but none of the howling that echoed round the Odeon way back then ... :sweatingbullets:

 

original_bambi_movie_poster_by_ryanthescooterguy-d3anz2t.thumb.jpg.29438b5236f8c0b379933472eed0b23f.jpg

Shall now be trawling through some more Disney classics.

 

Hard to believe that was first released in 1942.  Here's Walt explaining the Multiplane camera.....

 

 

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Molly's Game, based on the true story of Molly Bloom, who hosted high stakes poker games after her dreams of becoming an Olympic skier were dashed.  Everything was fine until the Russian Mob got involved and she was paid a visit by the FBI.  Jessica Chastain in the title role with Idris Elba as her defence lawyer.....

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Watched "The Post" last night, with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.  Tells how The Washington Post changed from being a local newspaper to the major national it is today, alongside the New York Times.  The freedom of the press comes to the fore as the Nixon administration try to suppress the publishing of papers documenting decades of American involvement in Vietnam.  Interesting stuff.

 

 

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've seen Molly's Game and The Post recently too. Both great films.

 

I'd like to know the identity of player X in Molly's Game - it must be a famous movie star.

 

Meryl Street is superb in The Post

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
30 minutes ago, daved said:

I've seen Molly's Game and The Post recently too. Both great films.

 

I'd like to know the identity of player X in Molly's Game - it must be a famous movie star.

 

Meryl Street is superb in The Post

Toby Maguire is the nuts.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I watched Journey man with Paddy Considine. It was a good film, more so if you are in to boxing. 

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Siege of Jadotville, about a company of 157 Irish soldiers acting as U.N. Peacekeepers in The Congo.  They're up against 3000 Congolese soldiers led by French and Belgian mercenaries hired by the mining companies.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

This, brilliant as always from the Coen Brothers - on netflix now

 

 

ballad.jpg

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 11/12/2018 at 16:57, stretfordender said:

This, brilliant as always from the Coen Brothers - on netflix now

 

 

ballad.jpg

Watched this last night.  The opening chapter with the eponymous Buster Scruggs was my favourite chapter.  Sadly, I thought it went downhill from there.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Not sure if i mentioned this previously, but as the full documentary is on YouTube it's worth another shot. A bent cop at the height of the New York crack explosion, unfolds like a Hollywood script, but it's better than most blockbusters. 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I saw this a few weeks ago and forgot to mention it on here. Peterloo is one of the best movies I've seen for ages. It's about an appalling episode in British history, just after the battle of Waterloo. Hopefully many on SS are aware of it, especially if you're from Manchester. I found it very moving, and it should encourage people to vote in any election or whatever, people died trying to get the suffrage.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

"Bad Times at the El Royale"  , nice to have good'un to finish off the year ... :thumbsup:

Edited by WoodButcher

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 19/12/2018 at 17:52, WoodButcher said:

"Bad Times at the El Royale"  , nice to have good'un to finish off the year ... :thumbsup:

Finally got round to watching this last week.  Very entertaining with a great soundtrack.  Just watched "Tag" as an in flight movie, about a group of friends who get together once a year to continue a long running game of tag with no holds barred.  Jeremy Renner's character has never been caught, and is similar to Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes as he goes through the thought process involved in planning his moves and ultimate escape.  "You don't stop playing games because you get old, you get old because you stop playing games."

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Men kissing men aside ( not my thing, but I know footballers do it...)

Bohemian Rhapsody... Queen..

Tremendous story and so much about Fred I did not know. Well acted in the main, and another story of a genius dying young.

Ed

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

 

Bohemian Rhapsody... Queen..

Tremendous story and so much about Fred I did not know. Well acted in the main, and another story of a genius dying young.

 

I also really like biopics on the lives of musicians although i rarely get to see films of any kind as the majority of times it interferes with music that I want to produce myself.

I finally got around to watching this one in the early hours of this morning .

'Soaked In Bleach'

Everyone and his dog probably knows the back story on this, but for anyone who's unfamiliar, private investigator Tom Grant tries to unravel the mystery surrounding the death of Kurt Cobain of Nirvana when he's hired by Courtney Love, Cobain's  wife, to locate Cobain who'd walked out from treatment for heroin addiction at a  drug rehab facility. 

I originally read the Ian Halpern and Max Wallace book 'Who Killed Kurt Cobain' which part of this is based on, and 'DEAD MEN DON'T PULL TRIGGERS-OBSERVATIONS ON THE DEATH OF KURT COBAIN' by Roger Lewis years ago and always believed that there was a load of dodgy shit going on surrounding the death at the time..Tom Grant has pushed for the Seattle police department to reinvestigate for 2 decades as there's a lot of unanswered questions still and the case should definitely be reopened in my opinion. 

Kurt Cobain was obviously a troubled soul and although grim in places the film is well worth watching,even for people who may not be fans of the music . 

 

Edited by Soulsides

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If you liked Unbreakable and Split this is a must see, James McAvoy is incredible, if he doesn't get an Oscar for this then it's a crime.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Anyone seen the movie Dragged Across Concrete, interesting sound track, quite like this one From the O'Jays

 

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Anyone seen the movie Dragged Across Concrete, interesting sound track, quite like this one From the O'Jays

 

 

 

Enjoyed it as you say some good tunes 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 16/05/2019 at 19:36, Tattoodave said:

If you liked Unbreakable and Split this is a must see, James McAvoy is incredible, if he doesn't get an Oscar for this then it's a crime.

 

Seen the 1st 2 a while back but we watched all 3 on 3 nights to get the best fell of it. Excellent!

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thanks guys (Jazz/Steve) for your useful info, have looked at some of the trailers and must say looks very impressive  😀

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 15/08/2018 at 19:22, Soulfool said:

"Unfriended" - Dark Web, in cinemas now, really good, really clever, recommended despite it's short running time of 91 minutes.

Watched it last night and i`m sorry but it was shite!🙉  90 minutes I won`t get back. 

I`m half way through Apollo 11 and this is superb. I thought it was going to be like Apollo 13 (Which  as also excellent) but it completely not. This is a documentary mainly with footage not seen before, all cleaned up and crystal clear.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Watched it last night and i`m sorry but it was shite!🙉  90 minutes I won`t get back. 

I`m half way through Apollo 11 and this is superb. I thought it was going to be like Apollo 13 (Which  as also excellent) but it completely not. This is a documentary mainly with footage not seen before, all cleaned up and crystal clear.

I saw it in the Cinema early last year and I thought it was good, tried to watch it on Sky recently and yes, I agree, it was shite!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Rocketman. Excellent and makes you realise just how good Elton John & Bernie Taupin were as a writing team. Lennon & McCartney had nothing on them.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Excellent film but the title wasn`t really thought out fully.🙉🤪

 

p13665937_v_v8_ab.jpg

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

coming soon online

seems to be getting good reviews

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

this looks like a must watch 

out in a week or so...

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Went to watch JOKER last week.  Fabulous deep, thought provoking film.  Rather violent at times too.  

Can't believe there was kids of 6/7 years old in there with the parents if thats what you can call them.

Dolomite Is My Name, excellent and Eddie Murphy at his best once more.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Saw it last Sat (took the missus) - I thought it was a a really good film - but then I love old cars & soul music 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Over last two weeks we went to see both of these Films - Joker and Le Mans 66 .

The Joker was an outstanding film and not what we had imagined a DC film was going to be like . Very dark and disturbing and I’ll be surprised if JOAQUIN PHOENIX doesn’t win the Oscar. Not sure about the use of the Garry Glitter track , but maybe a deeper meaning ? 

Le Mans 66 kept very close to the true story, which if you don’t know it it’s worth going just to understand what happened back in the 60’s. 

Two good films and with Vue doing films for a £5 , better than watching them at home on Netflix . 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Just watched one called BEATS.

Basically a re run of quadraphenia 30 years on.

Good ending.

Ed

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Just watched one called BEATS.

Basically a re run of quadraphenia 30 years on.

Good ending.

Ed

there's another film out this year called Beats, but it's set in Chicago and about a young lad making hip-hop music

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 24/11/2019 at 13:50, Chalky said:

Dolomite Is My Name, excellent and Eddie Murphy at his best once more.

“Dolemite isn’t fit for a blind dog to see. It is coarse, rude, crude, and vulgar.”

very funny, especially the 'sex scene' which is hilarious, nearly choked on my rat soup!

i particularly liked the permanently p*ssed directer (Wesley Snipes)

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 24/11/2019 at 12:36, Mike said:

this looks like a must watch 

out in a week or so...

 

I found this way too long and boring. Probably best to watch on a medium with a fast-forward facility.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 09/11/2019 at 18:52, Mike said:

coming soon online

seems to be getting good reviews

 

Saw it yesterday, it might work better as 3 x 1 hour mini series on Netflix but it’s pointlessly overlong at over 3 hours as a movie. Pacino is fantastic and the surprise is Ray Romano who is really very very good !

i haven’t seen it yet but going by their last movie ‘Good time’ which was brilliant !  ‘Uncut gems’ looks like it is going to be a killer !!

Marriage Story is a good movie, Adam a Driver is Excellent.

i really wasn’t sure if it was going to be crap or not but took a chance and ‘The Aeronauts’ was pretty good and even though I find Eddie Redmans single persona acting style annoying it was a charming movie.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 24/11/2019 at 13:50, Chalky said:

Went to watch JOKER last week.  Fabulous deep, thought provoking film.  Rather violent at times too.  

Can't believe there was kids of 6/7 years old in there with the parents if thats what you can call them.

Dolomite Is My Name, excellent and Eddie Murphy at his best once more.

Yeah, there were kids in ‘Joker’ when I went, moron parents !!

Share this forum post


soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Good Films/documentaries About Soul, R&b..e.t.c
    All About the SOUL by Guest CARL D on Sun 18 Jan 2015
    • 18 / 2131
    • 25miles on 05 May 2015
  2. like british films?
    All About the SOUL by mischief on Sat 12 Jun 2004
    • 8 / 1252
    • on 15 Jun 2004
  3. Ns Films - Long After Tonight And Souled Out
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Tue 23 May 2006
    • 5 / 780
    • 45cellar on 24 May 2006
  4. Films
    All About the SOUL by Soulsmith on Thu 19 Apr 2007
    • 64 / 2936
    • Baz Atkinson on 20 Apr 2007
  5. Main Stream Films With Soul/ Northern Soul Tracks
    All About the SOUL by steve on Fri 28 Dec 2007
    • 3 / 590
    • Dante on 28 Dec 2007
  6. Films/documentaries About Soul
    All About the SOUL by malayka on Fri 11 Jul 2008
    • 18 / 1352
    • mischief on 15 Jul 2008

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.