Seen Any Good Films Recently

Posted

I saw "Us" recently and found it disturbing but very entertaining, don't understand why "It" has been remade, or "Pet Sematary", it's not like Stephen King needs the money.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 720
  • Views 50.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Marvellous" is one of the best films I have seen ever....an absolutely inspiring must-see

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-e

'Wolf of Wall Street' was the last good film I watched. Very enjoyable 

Posted Images

Posted
1 hour ago, Simon T said:

Are we allowed to comment, spoilers and all that?

??

doubt if anyone would appreciate spoilers on any film

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 09/01/2020 at 14:14, Mike said:

got this one on the 'for the use of the xmas voucher present' list

on release uk tomorrow yep?

anyone going?

Just seen this, I think that I may of grinded some enamel off my teeth, some very tense and sad moments, a story that never gets old. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 09/01/2020 at 18:22, Mike said:

??

doubt if anyone would appreciate spoilers on any film

Sorry Mike, totally wrong wording of post, i wouldn't post a spoiler. My great uncle (bottom left 2, with knife & mug) was killed 22 days after when the film is set. I have a postcard to his mum saying he had recently HAERD FROM his brother,, and could picture it being him in the same situation/task.

WHITE

George Ernest

Private 201404. 10th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 28th April 1917, aged 21 years. Son of (the late) George and Rosetta White of Kirton Holme, Lincs. Brother of Harry White. Born Swineshead, enlisted Sleaford and resident Kirton Holme, Lincs. Commemorated Roeux British Cemetery. D.12.

WHITE

Harry

Lance Sergeant 201385. 4th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 25th March 1918, aged 25 years. Son of (the late) George and Rosetta White of Kirton Holme, Lincs. Brother of George Ernest White. Born Swineshead, enlisted Sleaford and resident Boston, Lincs. Commemorated Douchy-Les-Ayette British Cemetery. III.D.1.

soul photo0015

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Simon T said:

Sorry Mike, totally wrong wording of post, i wouldn't post a spoiler. My great uncle (bottom left 2, with knife & mug) was killed 22 days after when the film is set. I have a postcard to his mum saying he had recently seen his brother,, and could picture it being him in the same situation/task.

WHITE

George Ernest

Private 201404. 10th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 28th April 1917, aged 21 years. Son of (the late) George and Rosetta White of Kirton Holme, Lincs. Brother of Harry White. Born Swineshead, enlisted Sleaford and resident Kirton Holme, Lincs. Commemorated Roeux British Cemetery. D.12.

WHITE

Harry

Lance Sergeant 201385. 4th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 25th March 1918, aged 25 years. Son of (the late) George and Rosetta White of Kirton Holme, Lincs. Brother of George Ernest White. Born Swineshead, enlisted Sleaford and resident Boston, Lincs. Commemorated Douchy-Les-Ayette British Cemetery. III.D.1.

soul photo0015

Fantastic photo Simon, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 hours ago, Widnes63 said:

Fantastic photo Simon, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

yep a great photo 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

his brother Harry (looks the same, but bit taller), plus Rosetta's 'thanks' for her two sons

soul gongsz (Copy)

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Over Christmas, one morning I found myself watching Escape to Athena with the very delectable Stephanie Powers, and no, she wasn`t sat with me unfortunately she was on screen. Half way through this happened. Wind it on to 50:10 and you`ll see.

The end credits of the film credit all the songs/music from the soundtrack but BitN is unaccredited.

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Polyvelts
Posted

Yes, just saw 1917 it was good but horrifying.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

1917......saw it on Saturday in X4D! It was the only option when I arrived so felt all the bumps etc. etc. The film was as previously described.....Excellent.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 13/01/2020 at 14:06, Wilxy said:

1917......saw it on Saturday in X4D! It was the only option when I arrived so felt all the bumps etc. etc. The film was as previously described.....Excellent.

saw it in normal this week as the only option but agree with yours and others take

excellent 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

We went, for the 1st time in years to see Dr Sleep last month at our local Vue cinema, Saturday night, I booked in the week in case it was booked up on the night.

When we arrived I was expecting the usual milling throng of parents and kids pick & mixing in the foyer, the new Terminator film had also just premiered that week and a couple more kids movies so a busy weekend.

Errr no. There was just me and the wife, no one else in the place, I got us a beer each and we went to find our seats, there was only one more couple in screen 1 and as far as we could tell, in the whole building, as we left they were behind us locking up. 

Good movie though but what a shame no one`s going anymore.😥

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I have a cineworld membership so go see all whilst on my travels. I've had an interest in WW1 since aged 11 started by a school project. Over the past 40+ years I've been digging at the Somme and visited the Menein Gate several times in various capacitys. I went to see 1917.......spotted 6 joins... as an editor of hundreds of films I was interested in the continual filming aspect...! I had watched Journeys End on Netflix the day before.......if you liked 1917...watch Journeys end... afterwards! X The ultimate WW1 film for me is All Quiet on the Western Front...the original b&w version not the John Boy Walton remake! X

LUV 

SOOTY 

X

soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

over time have usually found that Mark Kemodes reviews are a good source for good film tips

this was the case here

on netflix now

intense but most enjoyable couple of hours

anyone else seen it?

or any other recent enjoyable tips

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 03/02/2020 at 10:40, Mike said:

over time have usually found that Mark Kemodes reviews are a good source for good film tips

this was the case here

on netflix now

intense but most enjoyable couple of hours

anyone else seen it?

Sometimes when you are watching something you find the character a complete 'expletive' and you can't relate to them, but then you realise the acting was really  great to have generated that feeling. I liked the ending, thinking "couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" 7/10 from me.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 03/02/2020 at 10:40, Mike said:

Not reviews as you can go to IMDB for them, just quick comments on some recently watched.....

Harriet - lovely film well worth watching several times  

John Henry - this film is so bad it's brilliant! You'll find yourself saying WTF is this all about? Don't pay to see this, but spend your money on Black Mamba to help you understand it. Everything about it, acting, plot, filming etc is dire. Don't worry, i doubt you'll waste a hour & halve of you life on it as you'll not get past 30 minutes - though the last 10 mins will leave you dumbfounded!

Sorry we missed you - Grim and very, very good. Certainly delivers, and you'll never squiggle a rude word instead of a signature on the courier's little machine again!

Last black man in San Francisco - couldn't make head nor tale of this to be honest, so if anyone could enlighten me.

If I Leave Here Tomorrow A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd. - as a music fan of all genres, i really enjoyed this & recommend.

I am Duran - if you are not a boxing fan, but a sports fan you still should like this. Rag to riches and back again story. I certainly didn't find myself saying 'no mas'

JoJo Rabbit - utter twaddle in my opinion.

Queen & Slim - Oh you'll like this

Edited by Simon T
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not a new film , think it came out in 2017. It’s in black and white and has subtitles but if you can .... stick with it . 

“The Captain” tells the story of a German deserter during the end of WW11 and looks at the other side of the conflict . Compelling watching if you give it a chance.

soul 6C69DF77 F286 43CD B6A8 A69AA8CDD0AA

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Went to see the excellent QUEEN and SLIM last weekend, starring Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith (actually from Peterborough) as a black couple who have to go on the run after a racist Police Officer is shot and killed, and their various encounters and evasion of capture while trying to make it from Ohio to Cuba. Highly entertaining movie, and a pretty cool soundtrack, also.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 9 months later...
Posted (edited)

JOURNEYS END on BBC 4 last night.

Was released in 2018 but not a film I'd heard of previously.

Set in latter stages of WW1 shortly before the Spring Offensive.

Based on a stage play written by R C Sherriff who served as an officer during the Great War. I enjoyed '1917' up to about half way through and then it just lost its way for me. This film, in my opinion, is vastly superior on all levels to the extent that I'm not actually sure I would wish to watch it again such was the harrowing 'believability' of it all. No ott acting or dialogue, just an account of a few days of life in the trenches at that time.

Highly recommended and I guess available on iplayer.

Edited by Stevie
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 05/02/2020 at 08:23, Stevegods said:

Not a new film , think it came out in 2017. It’s in black and white and has subtitles but if you can .... stick with it . 

“The Captain” tells the story of a German deserter during the end of WW11 and looks at the other side of the conflict . Compelling watching if you give it a chance.

soul 6C69DF77 F286 43CD B6A8 A69AA8CDD0AA

Great film. The subtitles weren't too distracting, but seeing Greg Rutherford as Bursche was, though his acting was good and German exceptional!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Stevie said:

JOURNEYS END on BBC 4 last night.

Was released in 2018 but not a film I'd heard of previously.

Set in latter stages of WW1 shortly before the Spring Offensive.

Based on a stage play written by R C Sherriff who served as an officer during the Great War. I enjoyed '1917' up to about half way through and then it just lost its way for me. This film, in my opinion, is vastly superior on all levels to the extent that I'm not actually sure I would wish to watch it again such was the harrowing 'believability' of it all. No ott acting or dialogue, just an account of a few days of life in the trenches at that time.

Highly recommended and I guess available on iplayer.

I saw this a couple of years ago & thought it was very good. However, i had read the play's script many years before and hence knew the characters.  It's a film about being in the war rather than a war film per se.

(if you watch Withnail & I, you'll see 'I' reading it in preparation for his 'audition', no doubt)

available on iPlayer for 29 days

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Another film along similar lines is King & Country with Dirk Bogarde, Tom Courtenay and  Leo McKern.

Not sure where you might see this though short of buying the DVD. Little known and not been shown on tv for many years.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Was looking forward to see "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks but its' been sold to a Web based App that can't seem to get 😞 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
53 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Was looking forward to see "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks but its' been sold to a Web based App that can't seem to get 😞 

Just watched it , good film imo and a bit poignant as I had 3 great uncles lost to the sea in ww2 , one on the last day , all merchant seamen. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Colnago said:

Just watched it , good film imo and a bit poignant as I had 3 great uncles lost to the sea in ww2 , one on the last day , all merchant seamen. 

One of my uncle's also in Merchant navy. With the various lockdowns we've been having have been able to read up a lot about it, the British public know little about what was the longest battle of WWII. The conditions the sailors suffered in a virtual "no prisoners taken" conflict.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 21/11/2020 at 21:20, Chris L said:

One of my uncle's also in Merchant navy. With the various lockdowns we've been having have been able to read up a lot about it, the British public know little about what was the longest battle of WWII. The conditions the sailors suffered in a virtual "no prisoners taken" conflict.

My dad was on the ‘Russian convoys’ taking stuff to Arkhangelsk and Murmansk. He was ‘18’, going on 16. I remember him telling me that when docked the Russians wouldn’t let them get off their “one funneled f*ck-pig”  (H.M.S. Bligh K467).

My dad at very top under arrow

https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5646.html

bligh a.jpg

bligh b.jpg

Edited by Simon T
pics added
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 hours ago, Chris L said:

Hi , it’s pricked my conscience to read up on it and find out more , my great uncles were all torpedoed, I do know that every merchant seaman lost in the war(s) their names are engraved on a wall by the Tower of London I believe, when this virus is rid I think I’ll pop down south to have a gander at it . 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Colnago said:

Hi , it’s pricked my conscience to read up on it and find out more , my great uncles were all torpedoed, I do know that every merchant seaman lost in the war(s) their names are engraved on a wall by the Tower of London I believe, when this virus is rid I think I’ll pop down south to have a gander at it . 

This is the 10 minute tour................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Atlantic

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Two (very oldies) I watched recently on Prime. 

Little Foxes-about attitudes in the Deep South among the finery, their hypocrisy  worth a look. 

The Old Dark House 1932 so bad its good, and funny.  A couple and their friend on a stormy night in Wales stop over in an ''old dark house''.  Its hard to tell if its spoof or early British horror. 

Charles Laughton and Gloria Stuart (58?  years later of Titanic fame as the old lady in that) It made me lugh but simple things....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

'Rocks' i think it's on Netflix now

Don't read any reviews, just watch it & you'll be smiling days. The standard of acting is amazing considering their ages (8 - about 19) & experience. Kosar Ali - 'Sumaya' one to watch for in the future as they say.

Edited by Simon T
soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

anyone else looking forward to this ?

how about this?

got a good review from Mark Kermode

planning to catch it though my other half may be hard to convince

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike said:

anyone else looking forward to this ?

how about this?

got a good review from Mark Kermode

planning to catch it though my other half may be hard to convince

Look forward to the Godfather....one of my all time fave films trilogy’s.

I heard Kermode’s review of the Host and it does sound interesting

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
59 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Look forward to the Godfather....one of my all time fave films trilogy’s.

Godfather remix is out now/today, my sensible thinking is to revisit 1 and 2 again first, but that could take days to fit in

I heard Kermode’s review of the Host and it does sound interesting

We ended up watching Host last night.

I'd say an entertaining film, the zoom and covid angles worked well, had a few good jump scenes, and the 60 odd minutes length gave it some pace, but overall given the reviews it was all a bit disappointing 

ok film but wait till it's free be my call

anyone else seen it yet?

or what else ya watching/looking forward to film wise?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 26/11/2020 at 21:17, Simon T said:

'Rocks' i think it's on Netflix now

Don't read any reviews, just watch it & you'll be smiling days. The standard of acting is amazing considering their ages (8 - about 19) & experience. Kosar Ali - 'Sumaya' one to watch for in the future as they say.

Rocks superb as you say - acted, filmed, edited, lit etc with great skill, loved it

Good run of recent UK films on the BBC, most still on iplayer I think - Apostacy, Perfect 10 both excellent, plus the outstanding Fish Tank from 2009

Also music wise couldn't recommend Miles Davis 'Birth of the Cool' highly enough, plus B.B. King 'Sounding Out' from 1972, still on iplayer and a great short film

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike said:

Godfather remix is out now/today, my sensible thinking is to revisit 1 and 2 again first, but that could take days to fit in

Sounds like a day’s entertainment over Christmas 🎄 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike said:

We ended up watching Host last night.

I'd say an entertaining film, the zoom and covid angles worked well, had a few good jump scenes, and the 60 odd minutes length gave it some pace, but overall given the reviews it was all a bit disappointing 

ok film but wait till it's free be my call

anyone else seen it yet?

or what else ya watching/looking forward to film wise?

Not a fan of this type of genre, so already biased i suppose. I gave it a go, but after 11 minutes i started to drift away. As you say wait till it's free maybe? Not one for a revisit to see what i 'missed'

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike said:

For me, GF III wasn't a bad film, just that GF II was such a good film, one of the best, so III will always be in it's shadow.

It'll be interesting to see if its 'improved'; perhaps in a few years they'll CGI in Winona Ryder over Sofia?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
46 minutes ago, Simon T said:

For me, GF III wasn't a bad film, just that GF II was such a good film, one of the best, so III will always be in it's shadow.

It'll be interesting to see if its 'improved'; perhaps in a few years they'll CGI in Winona Ryder over Sofia?

I agree, Godfather 1 and 2 are two of the best films ever and it was always going to be tough following those.  Much of the negativity though seems to focus on the casting. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Chalky said:

I agree, Godfather 1 and 2 are two of the best films ever and it was always going to be tough following those.  Much of the negativity though seems to focus on the casting. 

I think in its own right gf3 is a very good film and almost all the negative things relate to the casting of one actress due to her father. In my opinion she was fine and the criticism is very harsh.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

I think in its own right gf3 is a very good film and almost all the negative things relate to the casting of one actress due to her father. In my opinion she was fine and the criticism is very harsh.

Not just Sophia Coppola but the non casting of Robert Duval as Tom Hagan because they wouldn’t pay him what they should have, he was main character who was simply done away with.  There was other things wrong with it too, it certainly wasn’t scripted or thought out properly. 

Edited by Chalky
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Not just Sophia Coppola but the non casting of non casting of Robert Duval as Tom Hagan because they wouldn’t pay him what they should have, he was main character who was simply done away with.  There was other things wrong with it too, it certainly wasn’t scripted or thought out properly. 

Yes true i forgot that. Didn't they have a character who was his son my memory is a little hazy.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Yes true i forgot that. Didn't they have a character who was his son my memory is a little hazy.

Mine too, going to watch them all again.  Just watched all the Marvel, I’ve one Mission Impossible to watch then I’ll watch Godfather again. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 08/12/2020 at 10:06, Mike said:

I didn't see any significant differences, no real 'wow' factor. Maybe consider it a 'director's cut'? Now doubt aficionados will appreciate the update.

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Good Films/documentaries About Soul, R&b..e.t.c
    All About The Soul by CARL D on Sun 18 Jan 2015
    • 18 / 2371