Seen Any Good Films Recently

Posted
1 hour ago, Simon T said:

I didn't see any significant differences, no real 'wow' factor. Maybe consider it a 'director's cut'? Now doubt aficionados will appreciate the update.

Supposed to be a different beginning and ending?  Maybe I will have to watch the first take then the new one

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 728
  • Views 52.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Marvellous" is one of the best films I have seen ever....an absolutely inspiring must-see

Chose something a little different this evening , plucked up the courage to revisit a movie that left me mildly traumatised when I first watched it nigh on 50 years ago ... I admit I got a bit misty-e

'Wolf of Wall Street' was the last good film I watched. Very enjoyable 

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chalky said:

Supposed to be a different beginning and ending?  Maybe I will have to watch the first take then the new one

Slightly to both, but if you've not watched the original for a good while, you'd probably not notice the difference.   My take is that they have changed things to move it from being just a continuation of 1 & 2, to a film about a mafia godfather that you can view without seeing the first two.

Edited by Simon T
spelling etc
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom | Official Trailer | Netflix

Chicago, 1927. A recording session. Tensions rise between Ma Rainey (Viola Davis), her ambitious horn player (Chadwick Boseman), and the white management determined to control the legendary “Mother of the Blues.” Based on Pulitzer Prize winner August Wilson's play. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, directed by George C. Wolfe. Starring Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Colman Domingo, Michael Potts, Glynn Turman, Dusan Brown and Taylour Paige. Coming to Netflix 18 December. Watch Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, In select Cinemas and on Netflix 18 December: https://www.netflix.com/title/81100780

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike said:

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom | Official Trailer | Netflix

Chicago, 1927. A recording session. Tensions rise between Ma Rainey (Viola Davis), her ambitious horn player (Chadwick Boseman), and the white management determined to control the legendary “Mother of the Blues.” Based on Pulitzer Prize winner August Wilson's play. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, directed by George C. Wolfe. Starring Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Colman Domingo, Michael Potts, Glynn Turman, Dusan Brown and Taylour Paige. Coming to Netflix 18 December. Watch Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, In select Cinemas and on Netflix 18 December: https://www.netflix.com/title/81100780

Just watched,very good

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Browsing iplayer and notice they are showing "The Hill" with Sean Connery.

Very rare for this to appear on tv - in fact I don't think I've ever seen it on tv..

Excellent film based in military prison in North Africa.

Highly recommended.

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 05/09/2018 at 16:37, Guest Polyvelts said:

BlackKklansman 

latest Spike Lee joint

Brilliant movie very evocative of the era. So far Hollywood has been shy of doing a movie about the deep state F*** Up of the cop who infiltrated the Panthers and rose to second in command, and plotted a bombing. That warrants attention, if I've missed a movie about it, I need to see it. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Watched a few lately .. 

If you get a chance check out “ Uncle Frank” .. just a nice road movie about a gay guy traveling back to his Dads funeral. 

Also struggling through “ The Irishman “ .. what a long film .. not sure that DeNiro or Peci could ever be made to look younger for the early clips but good biopic of the time I guess . 

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

With all the doom and gloom, I want to try and find some films to take my mind somewhere else this Christmas.

The Mrs was just watching 'Letters to Juliet' on prime. And although it was very much a chic flick, just seeing the locations (Verona / Sienna) on warm summers days and evenings was magical on a cold English night. You could almost feel the warmth of the sun and smell the countryside air. 

Anyone got any recommendation for something shot at a lovely location, or similar feelgood vibe?

Already lined up:

Endless Summer / Night Train to Lisbon / The Big Blue 

Any recommendations appreciated. 

👍

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

The last few days I've re-watched The Godfather 1, 2 & 3.

I've now also just watched the reboot or whatever of Godfather 3, the CODA Death of Michael Corleone.  What they have done is almost nothing. They even shortened the ending by taking out Michael's death and adding a Scilliamn saying.  Complete waste of time if you ask me and just a money making exercise?  They should have made it properly ninth first place, financed it properly and we wouldn't be having all this.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

soul men is stylish and funny.

Sam L Jackson and Bernie Mac.

surprised nobodys reviewed it on here i will as soon as im done watching it

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Second time Verona has been mentioned in a week, I was out there,. walked through the Tyrol into Italy through Verona Bolzano Turin lost my wife in October maybe I should go back...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There's so much claptrap about the nazis and war war war on Prime, most of it badly made but there is Algiers.

Also three 1.5 hour films that make up Quiet Flows The Don which is totally charming, if hard viewing at times.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 01/01/2021 at 18:37, Chalky said:

The last few days I've re-watched The Godfather 1, 2 & 3.

I've now also just watched the reboot or whatever of Godfather 3, the CODA Death of Michael Corleone.  What they have done is almost nothing. They even shortened the ending by taking out Michael's death and adding a Scillian saying.  

I swear upon the family I will never ever ever watch this reboot...I always have to watch all three episodes in one sitting....12 times so far. 

On 09/01/2020 at 18:16, Tattoodave said:

I saw "Us" recently and found it disturbing but very entertaining, don't understand why "It" has been remade, or "Pet Sematary", it's not like Stephen King needs the money.

First pet was a bit shite I thought, had read the book, It shouldnt have been touched, its a masterpiece, havent seen Us so will grab that 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/01/2021 at 09:37, Bunderthollox said:

I swear upon the family I will never ever ever watch this reboot...I always have to watch all three episodes in one sitting....12 times so far. 

First pet was a bit shite I thought, had read the book, It shouldnt have been touched, its a masterpiece, havent seen Us so will grab that 

To be honest, none of the films based on King's novels have been that impressive, even the Shining didn't have the scare of the book.  I'd like to see James Herbert's "The Ghosts of Sleath" done as a film, I think the technology is now available that would make it a good watch.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Tattoodave said:

To be honest, none of the films based on King's novels have been that impressive, even the Shining didn't have the scare of the book.  I'd like to see James Herbert's "The Ghosts of Sleath" done as a film, I think the technology is now available that would make it a good watch.

Theres room for manouevre with some,  but itw my argument that CGi for exampme can not give but take away.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Bunderthollox said:

Theres room for manouevre with some,  but itw my argument that CGi for exampme can not give but take away.

A lot of films couldn't be produced without CGI, the film industry relies on it as much as we rely on the availability of electricity.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 06/01/2021 at 07:52, Tattoodave said:

A lot of films couldn't be produced without CGI, the film industry relies on it as much as we rely on the availability of electricity.

I suppose everyone's got their own take on it, I suppose I should say films that are lacking in substance are over-reliant on CGi..If you've got a superb script and or a great dialogue, you don't need anything else. Am not at all averse to Pixar movies meself.  Rango theres a film and a half. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I'm watching Joseph Andrews, (Geilgud Hordern Peter Firth Ann Magret many others) for the first time since 1986 I think, in a quite frankly illegal household, whence the discussions revolved around whether we were all seeing the same thing just as mad as the movie. After much umming and aaring I got it on a DVD just to finally prove to myself that eyes hadn't deceived me all those years back..its just as amazing a film as it was when released.

Its on Prime, a little bit pricey, but worth a look if you want to see classic actors at their best. 

Also Escape from Warsaw about a kid surviving being hunted down, subtitled but free on Prime (Polish) A brilliant movie indeed. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Pre CGI excellence - http://www.modelshipsinthecinema.com/2013/04/tora-tora-tora-1970.html

Tora Tora tora one of my favorite films - superb modelling - they also blew up a host of planes resulting in several very near misses to stuntmen who came close to losing their lives. Did have some video of this but can't find it at the moment - might be worth a look on you tube if interested. Cost of this today would be prohibitive and a lot of it prevented by H&S and rightly so..

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Stevie said:

Pre CGI excellence - http://www.modelshipsinthecinema.com/2013/04/tora-tora-tora-1970.html

Tora Tora tora one of my favorite films - superb modelling - they also blew up a host of planes resulting in several very near misses to stuntmen who came close to losing their lives. Did have some video of this but can't find it at the moment - might be worth a look on you tube if interested. Cost of this today would be prohibitive and a lot of it prevented by H&S and rightly so..

I had a neighbour in Minnesota, ex USN who was in Tora Tora Tora, didn't get paid for it as they used the Navy as extras, wouldn't get away with it now.  RIP Tommy Spitzberger

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
51 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

I had a neighbour in Minnesota, ex USN who was in Tora Tora Tora, didn't get paid for it as they used the Navy as extras, wouldn't get away with it now.  RIP Tommy Spitzberger

My Uncle Joe Connolly was a CPD fireman whose team were used in Towering Inferno. His sons followed him into CPD and were used as advisors in the CPD series. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

on amazon now

One Night in Miami

anyone caught it yet?

on my to view list

mark kermode gives it a good review

Mark Kermode reviews One Night in Miami. On 24th February 1964, Cassius Clay, Malcolm X, Sam Cook and Jim Brown discuss their positions and responsibilities within the civil rights movement and the changing culture of 1960s America.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike said:

on amazon now

One Night in Miami

anyone caught it yet?

on my to view list

Mark Kermode reviews One Night in Miami. On 24th February 1964, Cassius Clay, Malcolm X, Sam Cook and Jim Brown discuss their positions and responsibilities within the civil rights movement and the changing culture of 1960s America.

I’ve seen this, but it wasn’t for me i.e. I wouldn’t watch again. Somewhat tedious and not engaging. Actors were very good,  but the script wasn’t that great.

• Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 18/01/2021 at 15:20, Mike said:

on amazon now

One Night in Miami

anyone caught it yet?

on my to view list

watched it at the weekend, its worth a watch. 

• Thanks 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Among the good bad and ugly blaxploitation movies that are cropping up on Prime, one is The Baron (1977) Phil Superfly Fenty. persist with the obvious  film damage at the start for a pretty cool movie with a Gil Scott Heron soundtrack. If you're not familiar, a  Black film director (Calvin Lockhart and many familiar exploitation actor/esses) wanting to break into movies needs funding  and gets mixed up with the mob. Recommended. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

prime has a couple of their own films, that say are worth a watch

'Greenland' and 'I care for you' - a decent disaster tale and adark comedy-ish movie

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I have  been struggling to find any decent films I haven't seen over the last year but I can highly recommend Dark Waters on Amazon  based on one of the worlds largest corporations and unexplained deaths.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

watched 'The Song of Names' last night, which is a brilliant film.. trailer doesn't do it justice, its a deeper film, `Tim Roth is brilliant in this...

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Good Films/documentaries About Soul, R&b..e.t.c
    All About The Soul by CARL D on Sun 18 Jan 2015
    • 18 / 2387
    • 25miles on 05 May 2015
    • 1 / 349
    • mike on 29 May 2009
  2. Northern Soul Films
    All About The Soul by Steve G on Fri 25 Sep 2009
    • 8 / 1279
    • dthedrug on 30 Sep 2009
  3. Songs In Films
    All About The Soul by WPaulVanDyk on Fri 11 Jul 2008
    • 56 / 2970
    • pikeys dog on 21 Jul 2008
  4. Films
    All About The Soul by Soulsmith on Thu 19 Apr 2007
    • 64 / 3133
    • Baz Atkinson on 20 Apr 2007

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.