Peter99 profile photo

Seen Any Good Films Recently

Posted

The Ghost was very good, but not as good as the book. Both very worthwhile.

A book is always better than a movie, I think.

I saw recently "Runaway Jury" that I can recommend. Dustin Hoffman is O.K. but Gene Hackman (the bad man) is great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313542/

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've watched 3 over the last couple of days.

'Guardians of the Galaxy', which is pretty funny in places, and just a bit of fantasy, no thinking required.

'Gone Girl', which is a semi decent piece of drama.

'Starred Up', set in a prison. I really liked this, and Steve Lane, if you haven't seen it, might be right up your street  :thumbsup:

Just watched Gone Girl on Sky and although I enjoyed it, I thought the ending was disappointing, although you could argue they deserved each other.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Just watched the Kingsmen tonight ,havent seen many movies lately,this one was just good old escapist entertainment but it kept me happy and I would give it a big seven out of ten just for that.Good old much used story theme in this film dressed up as ,"Init Kid", rises above and betters ,"Ba Jawge orld boy products".reinforcing the stereotype of forget  being born completely at the bottom of the social ladder  everyone could rise above the  monolithic beast ot overbearing ,crushing power and priviledge and become numero uno if only they try hard enough,bit of a tounge in the cheek South Bank Show style critics response to the movie wiith that statement.

I did enjoy the rip roaring yarn  the plot gave us though, must say though it has got me thinking about this Windows  10 download .Was I perhaps too hasty to download it, what mad  behaviour that I have no control over are microsoft going  to switch me on and off like a lightbulb to perform?they wouldn't, would they?

Edited by manusf3a

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just watched the Kingsmen tonight ,havent seen many movies lately,this one was just good old escapist entertainment but it kept me happy and I would give it a big seven out of ten just for that.Good old much used story theme in this film dressed up as ,"Init Kid", rises above and betters ,"Ba Jawge orld boy products".reinforcing the stereotype of forget  being born completely at the bottom of the social ladder  everyone could rise above the  monolithic beast ot overbearing ,crushing power and priviledge and become numero uno if only they try hard enough,bit of a tounge in the cheek South Bank Show style critics response to the movie wiith that statement.

I did enjoy the rip roaring yarn  the plot gave us though, must say though it has got me thinking about this Windows  10 download .Was I perhaps too hasty to download it, what mad  behaviour that I have no control over are microsoft going  to switch me on and off like a lightbulb to perform?they wouldn't, would they?

Enjoyed Kingsmen as well, Manus.  You don't expect to see Mr Darcy singlehandedly take on a church full of psychotic killers.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Watched Ex Machina on Monday night.  Quite a suspenseful sci-fi thriller, with an interesting ending.  Quite thought provoking.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ant-Man, excellent entertainment.  //    Mad Max, nowhere near as good as it could have been.  //  Southpaw, excellent Boxing drama.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just watched this and it was awesome - feelgood movie of my year (though it was released in 2011 - I'm a little behind the times)

The Intouchables: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

Was going to watch Terminator Genesys instead but it was on too late for a school night - starts at 10:00 in a cinema 40 minutes away!! Has the world gone mad!? Has noone got anything to do tomorrow!!?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I am a big fan of Australian crime films,gangsters ,thrillers etc so when by chance I saw there was one on film four(is that the right channel name  or is it four movies  on Friday night  I decided to tape it.The film was called Red Hill, made in 2012  about an escaped prisoner coming back to seek his revenge on the people of a small outback town that set him up for the murder of his pregnant wife that they themselves killed because he was standing up for the rights of aboriginal sacred land not to have a trainline built through it,a very profitable one at  that for the real murderers if it went through.Anyway  Jimmy the Aboriginal  escapee wrecks havoc on the wrongdoers killing them off one by one all this going on with a newcomer to the town adding to the mix  ,a cop from the city whose transfer was to make a better life for his young pregnant wife,he becomes involved in the  story as he joins the hunt for Jimmy and while doing so learns the truth about what went on years ago.A very tight edgy storyline with some brilliant camera work where the Australian landscape is also a star I will be watching  Red Hill again tonight  tinnie of grog beside me!

Whether it be set in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne or a mall out back town no more than a few shacks  the crime genre movies from the land down under just always well nearly always,seem to pull it off.I watched one some time back  made in the seventies and in black and white based on the true story of an Australian well know criminals fight against a barbaric  special division for "Violent and potentialy? violent prisoners", that existed in pentridge prison till the seventies.Called Everynight,Everynight it tells the tale of Christopher Flannery later murdered in gangland disputes in Sydney years after his release, this movie is on you tube full version well worth watching.The movie was based on Ray Mooneys famous play.

Edited by manusf3a

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I watched Hugo last night, thought it refreshingly good, great cameo parts for several brilliant actors, and a "semi-serious" part, though played funnily, by Sacha Baron Cohen. 

And thanks to a friend of old I finally got a copy of Bullshot to watch.  It's a cult classic for those that missed it, a spoof spy thriller that only the British could do.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Saw this one yesterday and was really impressed. Not a war film but a brilliant and inspiring true story.

Kajaki. IMDB link

MV5BMTQ5MjYxMDM4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU2

Looks good, well worth a look at :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

saw sinister 2 on monday,,,best horror film I've seen  in years...genuinely creepy...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ant-Man, excellent entertainment.  //    Mad Max, nowhere near as good as it could have been.  //  Southpaw, excellent Boxing drama.

Really want to see Antman !

Anyone seen the Wolfpack yet ??

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I saw recently two excellent movies :  Polanski's "The Ghost Writer" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139328/

and "Gomorra", a fantastic film about Sicilian mafia http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/

The Ghost writer looks good - will check it out ! Having a bit of a Polanski moment right now after rewatching Chinatown ...it really is a unique film for its time if not a masterpiece.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Woman in Gold was very good!

Saw the new Terminator and I was quite surprised, it was pretty good.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Good Kill is quite thought provoking, how drone pilots can wage war from thousands of miles away.  The technology is frightening.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The Salvation is good. I really like Mads Mikkelsen - he was in the original Pusher, another Scandinavian film which is far superior and bears no resemblance to the quite crappy British remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2720680/

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Good Kill is quite thought provoking, how drone pilots can wage war from thousands of miles away.  The technology is frightening.

yep thought Good Kill  a very good film and as you say thought provoking

found the 9-5 of it all doing just that

as in the switch from operating on a battlefield one moment to say popping into local shop in LA on the drive home from work the next

Edited by mike

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've watched a few of those 'made for tv' films Jesse Stone. I like the real feel old fashioned wooden houses of New England, plus Selleck isn't half bad.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

yep thought Good Kill  a very good film and as you say thought provoking

found the 9-5 of it all doing just that

as in the switch from operating on a battlefield one moment to say popping into local shop in LA on the drive home from work the next

Drones are definitely here to stay.  I had a couple of years at BAe Warton on the Nimrod project, and there was a whole section of the site dedicated to Taranis (Raptor), their UAV project, which is due to enter service in 2030.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Kajaki .Excellent Film about a Para Platoon guarding Kajaki dam in Afgan . The portrayal of the Squaddie  Black Humour is Brilliant . Well worth a watch !!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest profile photo
Posted

Quite. Liked 71,set in Belfast during the troubles 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Quite. Liked 71,set in Belfast during the troubles 

Yep, I liked that too. Been really struggling to find any thing I fancy recently. Watched John Wick last week - that was ok, waited a long time to see it after Mike posted it up months ago.

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest profile photo
Posted

Kajaki .Excellent Film about a Para Platoon guarding Kajaki dam in Afgan . The portrayal of the Squaddie  Black Humour is Brilliant . Well worth a watch !!

is that kajaki out on dvd? 

Quite. L

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

is that kajaki out on dvd? 

Quite. L

It is mate !

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest profile photo
Posted

It is mate !

cheers for the heads up 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Watched Marshland a Spanish film the other night and really liked it. Atmospheric and brooding thriller - well worth watching. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3253930/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've not seen a really good film for ages.  I have watched a couple of OK films this week - 

The Drop with Tom Hardy  and The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've not seen a really good film for ages.  I have watched a couple of OK films this week - 

The Drop with Tom Hardy  and The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg

Hi Pete

Yep, I watched the drop and enjoyed it. Noomi Rapace is a great actress - she was terrific in the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy - classy films.  Forget the British remakes with Daniel Craig - they are crap in comparison. She's also in Child 44 with Tom Hardy - that's worth a watch too. 

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just found "Malcolm" online , a 1986 Aussie comedy classic that I'd forgotten about since first seeing it nigh on 30 years ago on VHS .

80 minutes of gentle fun that is every bit as good as I remembered ... :)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Liked Margin Call, well acted and I'm guessing pretty accurate in terms of how Wall street operates. Spacey as always good as was Jeremy Irons plus a few others I didn't know. Demi Moore beginning to show her age now (like all of us) :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Yesterday I saw a great film : "Songs My Brothers Taught Me"

Here's the trailer : https://vimeo.com/126307584

The trailer is pretty soft but the film is a realistic documentary on the daily life in a reservation, between alcool, weed and extreme poverty. Highly recommended !

The director has spent 4 years in this revervation and it's her first film :

http://songsmybrotherstaughtme.com/2015/03/13/95/

Edited by Philippe

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Liked Margin Call, well acted and I'm guessing pretty accurate in terms of how Wall street operates. Spacey as always good as was Jeremy Irons plus a few others I didn't know. Demi Moore beginning to show her age now (like all of us) :thumbsup:

Yes, I enjoyed that too. I like all of those type of films.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just watched "The Program", all about Lance Armstrong.  Chris O'Dowd plays David Walsh, the Sunday Times sports journalist who followed Armstrong's career and who became very suspicious of his meteoric rise on the Tour De France.  Well worth a watch.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
21 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Just watched "The Program", all about Lance Armstrong.  Chris O'Dowd plays David Walsh, the Sunday Times sports journalist who followed Armstrong's career and who became very suspicious of his meteoric rise on the Tour De France.  Well worth a watch.

If you enjoyed that there is a great docu about the great Marco Pantani "Accidental death of a cyclist" 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, polyvelts said:

If you enjoyed that there is a great docu about the great Marco Pantani "Accidental death of a cyclist" 

Cheers PV.  Don't really follow the sport, but just watched the trailer for the Pantani film, and it should tie in nicely with the Lance Armstrong movie.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Deadpool.  Not usually a massive fan of superhero movies but this one was different. More adult orientated for a start, the fight and action scenes some of the best use of graphics I've seen in a movie of this type and Leslie Uggams of "Love Is A Good Foundation" and Broadway fame is in it.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I saw Spotlight a couple of weeks ago and can recommend it. The RC church in Boston behaved very badly but no doubt all organisations want to cover up bad or illegal behaviour until they have to admit to it. This week I saw Youth starring Michael Caine. I thought it was okay but parts were too "arty" for me, guess I'm a philistine.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I saw Spotlight a couple of weeks ago and can recommend it. The RC church in Boston behaved very badly but no doubt all organisations want to cover up bad or illegal behaviour until they have to admit to it. This week I saw Youth starring Michael Caine. I thought it was okay but parts were too "arty" for me, guess I'm a philistine.

Its on my list Geoff, might go and see it at Ponders End this afternoon. Then again might be tomorrow ha ha.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

No, I've not seen any good films recently but I did watch EXISTS last night on Sky.

Let's just say if Bigfoot hadn't ripped the college students apart, I would have - along with the producer, director all the way down to the on-set catering company.

And if I see another lazy Blair Witch style shaky camera piece of movie-making I'm taking a baseball bat to my local Dixon's.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Anniversary 60's film with Bette Davis at her Best , was on Channel 81 -  Talking Pictures Tv , Shows some Great British films from the 50's /60's/70's

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

don't think anyones mentioned Sicario yet

that 5 min  border crossing scene !

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, mike said:

don't think anyones mentioned Sicario yet

that 5 min  border crossing scene !

Yep that was good.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thoroughly enjoyed "Race", about Jesse Owens at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I watched rise of the footsoldier 2 last night what a pile of shite, after enjoying the first film about the Essex Range Rover shootings I eagerly anticipated watching the follow up but wish I hadn't of bothered lol

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

"The Brothers Grimsby" .... Sacha Baron Cohen's latest ... :thumbup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A female friend asked me if I wanted to see Sing Street, not my usual type of movie but thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it, not a really original story but well done. I left the cinema smiling and feeling happy, so I'd recommend it as a feel good film.

I saw Eye In The Sky a few weeks ago, very good, Helen Mirren is an excellent actress. (Funny how as you get older, mature ladies seem very attractive sometimes, lol.) There is a moral dilemma in the film. I know which way I'd have gone.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Son of Saul, quite heavy, so not a date night film. 

Edited by Tony Smith

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

brothers grimsby wh a a   hoot,,,funniest film i seen for eons

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest gfarrington profile photo
Posted

dont really watch many films but saw two last week , one about all the super hero's fighting each other forgot what it was called , didnt have a clue what was going on , the other was that ellypsum thing with jodie foster , which was ok , that will probably happen one day when we have the technology 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I watched The Absent One last night - super film. Some great films and series coming out of Scandinavia - Nordic Noir. I recommend this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3140100/

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Good Films/documentaries About Soul, R&b..e.t.c
    All About the SOUL by Guest CARL D on Sun 18 Jan 2015
    • 18 / 2130
    • 25miles on 05 May 2015
  2. like british films?
    All About the SOUL by mischief on Sat 12 Jun 2004
    • 8 / 1251
    • on 15 Jun 2004
  3. Ns Films - Long After Tonight And Souled Out
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Tue 23 May 2006
    • 5 / 779
    • 45cellar on 24 May 2006
  4. Films
    All About the SOUL by Soulsmith on Thu 19 Apr 2007
    • 64 / 2935
    • Baz Atkinson on 20 Apr 2007
  5. Main Stream Films With Soul/ Northern Soul Tracks
    All About the SOUL by steve on Fri 28 Dec 2007
    • 3 / 590
    • Dante on 28 Dec 2007
  6. Films/documentaries About Soul
    All About the SOUL by malayka on Fri 11 Jul 2008
    • 18 / 1351
    • mischief on 15 Jul 2008

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.