Detroit - Must Sees

Guest Martin Coleman

Guest Martin Coleman

I'm hoping to be able to make a brief visit to Detroit later this month, and wanted to make the most of my 2 days there. Hitsville is top of my list, and I've also heard good things about People's Records, but are there any other places that Soul-Sourcers would recommend as "must sees"?

Thanks,

Martin

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Martin Coleman

Try to visit United Sound studios , especially as it is open again .

Thanks Eddie. I just checked this out online. The studio tour is getting good reviews. I'll have to give it a go.

Social source share

Yes Martin, not a lot left to see at D Town but you must do it, if your on Grand River you can/could see where the Thelma studio has been capped off with concrete. whish I could help more but its a very changed place even from my days of visiting go for it and good luck

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Yes Martin, not a lot left to see at D Town but you must do it, if your on Grand River you can/could see where the Thelma studio has been capped off with concrete. whish I could help more but its a very changed place even from my days of visiting go for it and good luck

Thanks Gilly. Good to hear from you.

Edited by Martin Coleman
Social source share

You can even book United Sounds for a private party if you wish :)

The Guardian Building looks amazing 

Try to visit United Sound studios , especially as it is open again .

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

The Detroit Arts Institute on Woodward appealed to me and my mate when we went.

The entrance has a statue of "The Thinker", which features on 2 Motown LP covers and , was I reckon, where HDH got the idea for the Invictus label logo

On Woodward Avenue.

https://www.dia.org/about/history.aspx

So, I'm guessing that area south of I-94 along Woodward is "Downtown" Detroit, then? That would make the museum quite close to any hotel that I'm likely to book. That's handy. Thanks Snakepit.

Social source share

Hi Martin

Woodward travels out from Downtown , based at the river. It's the biggest main avenue...can't miss it.

If you walk up Woodward from the river you'll pass the Fox theatre, and the site of the Motown (Donovan) HQ (demolished a few years ago) at Fisher freeway (I think)

DIA is about 2/3 miles from Downtown river.

I stayed at the Pontchatrain , opposite COBO Hall

Use the People mover mate....taxis at night time....it's very 'empty' at night...day time fine

I couldn't decide if it was 'scary' because there was no one about...or

there no one about because it was 'scary'...

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Note: Woodward Avenue is currently in the midst of a huge construction project, so take this into account as you plan:

https://m-1rail.com/construction/construction-map/

I second the recommendation of the museum. The Diego Rivera Detroit Industry murals are essential, an important piece of the history and culture of Detroit. And the room that they're in sometimes plays host to concerts. I saw Melvin Davis and Pat Lewis there a couple years ago.

MW

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Note: Woodward Avenue is currently in the midst of a huge construction project, so take this into account as you plan:

https://m-1rail.com/construction/construction-map/

I second the recommendation of the museum. The Diego Rivera Detroit Industry murals are essential, an important piece of the history and culture of Detroit. And the room that they're in sometimes plays host to concerts. I saw Melvin Davis and Pat Lewis there a couple years ago.

MW

Thanks for the heads up, MW. Looks like it will be best to avoid Woodward altogether.

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Thanks for your help everyone. The trip's all booked now and, with all of your recommendations, it looks like it's going to be a busy two days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!