John May

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Here's a forgotten track, hardly ever heard nowadays..  The Cashmeres on Ninandy.  First heard it about 3 or 4 years ago, blew me away, found a copy for £50,  don't think i've seen another since.  Does anyone else know it ?  It's a real stormer of a track.

link

Great record John, uptempo, soulful, perfect really; the B side (Fairytales Just Ain't True) is a nice mid-tempo too isn't it though with lyrics a bit too trite to get played maybe. I've got a demo like yours and have never seen an issue? Also, anyone know if these are THE Cashmeres?

Social source share

Great record John, uptempo, soulful, perfect really; the B side (Fairytales Just Ain't True) is a nice mid-tempo too isn't it though with lyrics a bit too trite to get played maybe. I've got a demo like yours and have never seen an issue? Also, anyone know if these are THE Cashmeres?

link

Actually looking again, is yours actually an issue? Mine is white but says PLUG SIDE on it...or it that on the flip?

Ninandy was Nina Simone's label wasn't it.

Social source share

link

I've been playing the Cashmeres of Show Stopper/ Don't let the door & this record since John posted it. To me they are the same group. The lead singer sounds very similar in both but perhaps a bit younger in 'Finally waking up'. A really good record, which I only had a listen to after John brought it up.

Social source share

Heres another from the back of the "Old" box, does anyone else have it i think that this an absolute atmospheric masterpiece, without doubt a great record , the fabulous melancholic and whirling arrangements, the beautiful moody harmonies, the incredible haunting lead. From the first bar that the pain stricken singer tells us to "Take My Hand" you realise that we are walking with the Gods of rare Rhythm and Blues. ........ WONDERFUL

post-1127-1099684791_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Heres another from the back of the "Old" box, does anyone else have it i think that this an absolute atmospheric masterpiece, without doubt a great record , the fabulous melancholic and whirling arrangements, the beautiful moody harmonies, the incredible haunting lead. From the first bar that the pain stricken singer tells us to "Take My Hand" you realise that we are walking with the Gods of rare Rhythm and Blues. ........ WONDERFUL

link

HI Brett nice of you to join in on this one mate, The Cahmeres track first, I first heard on a tape that came from a guy who used to go to Stafford, so i think it's from that era. I've never seen an issue, as far as i'm aware issues of other records on this label are generaly purple with silver letters, never seen the Cashmeres though. As regards to it being the same group as one that sang Showstopper, thats up for debate, It definatly sounds similar to me, however I'd edge on to side of the fence and say it is not. It is as I have said an absolute storming track, and given the chance right venue, open minded crowd, i'd play it.

As for your two mate, you've got the better of me there, don't know em' we'll have to do a tape swap, tell you what i'll swap one with you at Ponds forge next week.

John

Social source share

Great tune!  :thumbsup: I'd really like to have a copy of the 45 if anyone's got a copy up for grabs (if so, please contact me on  fonzeus@telia.com ).

link

Hi Sebastian, I'll ask about, but like I say they seem to be a bit scarce. I think Tim Brown had one at one time for sale, but not sure if he still as.

John

Social source share

link

Brett: You've sold me on this one. Trouble is I don't know what record you are talking about! Either there is a problem with my monitor or with your scan. I can only just about make out the label - 'Cobblestone''

Social source share

Brett: You've sold me on this one. Trouble is I don't know what record you are talking about! Either there is a problem with my monitor or with your scan. I can only just about make out the label - 'Cobblestone''

link

Billy you should be able to click on the image, and it should open in another window full size.

The release is "Under The Spell" by "The Burke Family" (actually the 5 Stairsteps, don't know why they used "Burke" on this 45) on Cobblestone demo.

Social source share

In fact Billy, ive kindly been asked to spin a few of my vinyl 45's at Ponds Forge(Sheffield) next Friday (9pm-10pm), and i may even start with this little belter.

yours Brett :)

Social source share

John can't say i know that sound, but i have one for you people, does anyone have this.

I love the label legend " Cheer Up With The Chirrup"

link

Yeah just bought one of these from Tim Brown for a tenner great label & at that

price not a bad record though not one for the masses I feel

Social source share

Here's a forgotten track, hardly ever heard nowadays..  The Cashmeres on Ninandy.  First heard it about 3 or 4 years ago, blew me away, found a copy for £50,  don't think i've seen another since.  Does anyone else know it ?  It's a real stormer of a track.

link

I had a purple issue at the beginning of the eighties. Got played as a filler at Clifton Hall and the Windmill in Rotherham (Sunday nights).

Sure it did get played at Stafford, though it had been known for a few years.

Social source share

Last caller.

Have you read the newspaper 'The New York Blade'.

Its not about football.

link

Just looked it up via google. Never heard of it before. What are you saying ? :)

Social source share

Sorry could not resist (as a Miller for life). Saw the paper whilst on a short break there in August. Been waiting ages to lets a blade know about it. Ed

link

So, you are from Toy Town then ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!