Looking To Launch A New Monthly Sheffield Event - Help Needed

Guest Ben01

Hi guys. We are looking to launch a monthly Northern/Motown Sunday day/night at a Sheffield City Centre Bar and was hoping that there may be some people who could point us in the right direction to get started. We have the bar, the sound setup and everything else needed to host the event but we need DJ's and/or people that can put the word out with us. If this is something that maybe you would like to get involved in or offer advice on then please get in touch.

Many thanks

Ben

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

please make it OVO so that the dj's who put a lot of time & effort obtaining our music get to play their

tunes at more places and help rid the world of bootleggers

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

Hi Ben just to let you know about soul venues here in sheffield,The Sunday Service at the Green Room is on the 1st & 3rd sundays they play vinyl,The Rondevu Sunday Soul Sessions every 2nd month they play OVO, Maggie Mays they where doing the 3rd sunday not sure if its still on ! PC/CD and last Free Soul On Sunday club at the Bessemer playing vinyl every last sunday of the month.

hope this helps you pick a sunday for your gig! I hope every thing go's well for you.

Nigel & Elaine

TWISTED STEEL SOUL NITES and days

Social source share

Just to add to Nigel's list, the Rondevu is the 3rd Sunday (alternate months, as said). It looks like the 2nd Sunday is available, unless anyone knows different. There'll be plenty of local DJs happy to spin a few tunes for you, I reckon, but make it vinyl (at least), and OVO for personal preference. Roughly where in the city centre are you?

Cheers

John

Social source share

Just to add to Nigel's list, the Rondevu is the 3rd Sunday (alternate months, as said). It looks like the 2nd Sunday is available, unless anyone knows different. There'll be plenty of local DJs happy to spin a few tunes for you, I reckon, but make it vinyl (at least), and OVO for personal preference. Roughly where in the city centre are you?

Cheers

John

On his bike by now!!! :wicked:  I would guess with that lot going on!! :yes:  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some promoters are looking into the "Lost Sunday" case. Apparently when the Mayans moved from the Haab to Tzolkin calendars ,they lost a Sunday. Tony Robinson (Time Team),is on the search with his team.

"If only we could locate the Lost Sunday",said Tony. " We could have re-runs of Midwives,and fit in another Sunday soul session "

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Hi Ben just to let you know about soul venues here in sheffield,The Sunday Service at the Green Room is on the 1st & 3rd sundays they play vinyl,The Rondevu Sunday Soul Sessions every 2nd month they play OVO, Maggie Mays they where doing the 3rd sunday not sure if its still on ! PC/CD and last Free Soul On Sunday club at the Bessemer playing vinyl every last sunday of the month.

hope this helps you pick a sunday for your gig! I hope every thing go's well for you.

Nigel & Elaine

TWISTED STEEL SOUL NITES and days

don't forget king bee nights, but you would have to be unique to take their punters

Social source share

what ever you do, don't use existing dj's who work the other sundays, try and put something fresh together to make it yours, and not just a spin off of someone else's. try and bring your own identity to the scene, that way you might stand half a chance of doing well. all the best with it, whatever route you decide to take  :thumbsup:

Social source share

If it's for a younger crowd start with Brett and get the likes of PaulB and Adam L over or the Leeds lot who's names escape me due to my excitement at going to watch the Blades play Crewe. Sorry boys but I'm sure everyone' knows who I mean.

Northern and Motown are well catered for already.

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

If it's for a younger crowd start with Brett and get the likes of PaulB and Adam L over or the Leeds lot who's names escape me due to my excitement at going to watch the Blades play Crewe. Sorry boys but I'm sure everyone' knows who I mean.

Northern and Motown are well catered for already.

A fair point, only the Rondevu is rare and underplayed OVO. The rest are oldies and Motown so far as i know.

Social source share

I think that you'd be filling a much needed gap in the market, adding to the sparse city nightclub scene a rare and high quality opportunity to introduce frustrated music lovers to this currently neglected and little known field of music.

does that sound ridiculous? Like I'm playing opposites even?

there's your answer then.

Social source share

I think that you'd be filling a much needed gap in the market, adding to the sparse city nightclub scene a rare and high quality opportunity to introduce frustrated music lovers to this currently neglected and little known field of music.

does that sound ridiculous? Like I'm playing opposites even?

there's your answer then.

Nonsense.

Everyone knows that the sign of a healthy scene is more nights than any one area can reasonably support, less cohesion, greater fragmentation and a proliferation of DJs with essentially similar tastes. In fact the greater number of clashes and least probability of maintaining a consistent and enduring scene the better. Anyone would think you don't believe in consumer choice.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Nonsense.

Everyone knows that the sign of a healthy scene is more nights than any one area can reasonably support, less cohesion, greater fragmentation and a proliferation of DJs with essentially similar tastes. In fact the greater number of clashes and least probability of maintaining a consistent and enduring scene the better. Anyone would think you don't believe in consumer choice.

Can you put that in Laymans terms please for the vast majority on here

Cheers :)

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Maslow's hierarchy of needs has been adapted to : health - safety - social acceptance - being a dj - self actualisation.

last time I heard some one quote maslows theory was on education for promotion course in army

Social source share

Wow, big response! I apologise if i seemed slightly naive on this subject. I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes so whatever we decide to do going forward ill make sure that it doesn't clash with anyone elses work. Thank you guys for your feedback.

Edited by Ben01
Social source share

Wow, big response! I apologise if i seemed slightly naive on this subject. I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes so whatever we decide to do going forward ill make sure that it doesn't clash with anyone elses work. Thank you guys for your feedback.

You won't get many in on a Tuesday afternoon ......

Social source share

There's always room for soul minded people! Give it a go, when Wigan & Blackpool where on the go! You could choose what suited you! are go to both, it should be the same today let the soulies pick ! I wish you all the best.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!