Customs Duty

Scooterboy

Hi Folks,

I appear to be having more bad luck (see previous post 'Ever Had A Record Eaten').

It looks like a guy from the USA may have declared a value on my parcel that I'd rather he hadn't.

If hypothetically, in case HMRC are reading this, he'd quoted a value of lets just say $2,000, then have you any idea how much I'm about to be stung for in VAT and duty?

I am just off for a little weep.

Chris

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The way some of these sellers go on, they must think they are going to get arrested by the FBI for putting a low value on the customs sticker!!

It's the UK that loses on the duty, not the USA!

Social source share

The way some of these sellers go on, they must think they are going to get arrested by the FBI for putting a low value on the customs sticker!!

cheers always wondered this myself?   Is the US seller taking any risks by putting a low value for smaller parcels (like records) that's in reality  sold over the custom threshold?   I have had to ask the other part to put a low value a few times thankfully no problems so far.   

Social source share

I have to say most, if not all, sellers do put a low value on what they ship me. Best to ask the moment you pay.

Social source share

cheers always wondered this myself?   Is the US seller taking any risks by putting a low value for smaller parcels (like records) that's in reality  sold over the custom threshold?   I have had to ask the other part to put a low value a few times thankfully no problems so far.   

If you make a false declaration, then yes that's breaking US customs law. Having said that the law was not put in place for secondhand personal goods, such as records but rather the import & export of commercial goods. Thing is it's not at all important for US customs what the value is, there are no export taxes. I once bought about $3000 of records from a dealer and just walked on the aeroplane with the record case, no-one looked, asked or checked, not in the US or in Europe. If the seller won't put a low value best to try and find a friend who lives in the US who can ship them onto you and if it's really a really expensive record, reckon on 25% total tax & duties, if it's a potential bill of $500.00+ you may want to even consider going to the US personally and while you're there look for more records. I was staying at a hotel in Chicago and I got the sellers to send stuff there so I didn't have to Backwoodsville to collect them. Good luck :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!