Look At Your Box - Literally

Mark R

What better place to ask for recommendations for 7" record boxes than on Soul Source.

I'm looking for something a little more sturdy than my trusty ADDA case which has served me well, but was never what I REALLY wanted.

Has anyone got one of those from our friend Mr. Manship?  Seem a little pricey but that's the kind of thing I'd like, so if I have to pay that kind of money then well, needs must!!

Any recommendations on that style of aluminium lockable box?  Sort of 100/150 count or thereabouts?  Would also prefer one that I can put little padlocks on, rather than built in locks which might not be up to it..........but that's getting picky, as I'm sure some of those with built in locks are robust.

Strong, secure and water (beer!) proof is the priority.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Sorry but Swan flight are a different class for not much more and they will make whatever size you want. 

I currently use a magma case, far better, lighter etc.......

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I've got four of these - 2 are still in good condition, but the other two are coming apart at the edges - the corner strip is too weak for the job.

I definitely wouldn't recommend them.

I've got an old black plastic Adda case which I've had longer, and is still is fine fettle.

I've also got a 100 count Swanflight, which is near indestructible, but isn't comfortable to carry due to the positioning of the handle (they position them centrally, which means they are slightly off centre when operated).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've got four of these - 2 are still in good condition, but the other two are coming apart at the edges - the corner strip is too weak for the job.

I definitely wouldn't recommend them.

I've got an old black plastic Adda case which I've had longer, and is still is fine fettle.

I've also got a 100 count Swanflight, which is near indestructible, but isn't comfortable to carry due to the positioning of the handle (they position them centrally, which means they are slightly off centre when operated).

the handle is now off centre on Swan cases Joe, mine is.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yea. SWAN is the best out there for the price Mark, I have two x 300 count boxes; I'm one of the clumsiest people to carry records around, bumping into things etc., have tried and broke lots of different ones, but have had these two for around three years and they still look nearly new, despite the clumsy owner

5*****

Social source share

Blakka of Stockport make some nice boxes too I have a few Swan that I bought off Simon Years ago and They are virtually indestructible but I also have a few Blakka and they are every bit as good especially if you prefer just one rail Boxes, check them out here;   https://www.blackaacoustics.co.uk/flight_standard.htm

I agree, the handles on the Blakka boxes are more comfortable than the Swan.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree, the handles on the Blakka boxes are more comfortable than the Swan.

The handles on then swan are the same now, the one I have is about two years old and is off centre an not a problem to carry, I use it for my sales stuff.

There isn't much between blakka and swan quality wise just the price.  I wouldn't swap either though for the magma I use now.  It is by far the most comfortable of the lot to carry.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Heres my Swanflight.To make it a bit more user friendly i have adapted it by fitting lifting handles to the sides and a couple more lockable catches.Also the main carry handle is made comfortable by using a wrap around pad as  used on cloth toolbags.Totally bomb proof best ones around in my opinion

post-8522-0-49971100-1416076690_thumb.jp

Social source share

Blakka of Stockport make some nice boxes too I have a few Swan that I bought off Simon Years ago and They are virtually indestructible but I also have a few Blakka and they are every bit as good especially if you prefer just one rail Boxes, check them out here;   https://www.blackaacoustics.co.uk/flight_standard.htm

I'd recommend Blakka, great boxes and they make them to any size you want.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What's the benefit of the Swan "Flight Panel" option, if any?

And I see what you mean about off-centre handle.....they put it centrally, but then when you use it, it hinges up to be off-centre and the weight doesn't sit centrally, right?

Chalky, you saying they now offset the handle so it's central when operated?

See, who says "a box is a box"?

Will look at the Blakka today, see what else is said here, and then make a choice so that my missus can get one in tine for my birthday! :-)

Cheers chaps,

Mark R

Social source share

Just to throw another option into the mix - I was after something more 'traditional' looking, and didn't like the look of the aluminium flight cases. Regardless how much abuse/knocks they can take.

After a lot of searching I found this company based in Spain who ship to the UK

https://www.waxinwood.com/

More expensive than most other options especially when you factor in the postage - however exactly what I was looking for.

Social source share

John Manship is going to be selling Nick Brown record cases.

Apparently they are the Chippendale of record boxes.

They do look very classy but I hate to think what sort of price they will retail at

I can't recall what Nick was/is asking for them. Price dependant on size I suppose..

10500475_10205291883476288_8570743772126

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John Manship is going to be selling Nick Brown record cases.

Apparently they are the Chippendale of record boxes.

They do look very classy but I hate to think what sort of price they will retail at

take a look , ,  vorsprung durch tecknik  :wink: , see below

Edited by gogger
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I didn't realise that Blakka had changed the handles on their boxes. I used to like the old ones which were like a spring encased in plastic. :g:  

I don't think they have Phil!! Mine still have that spring with clear plastic surround. :yes:   The Mutts nuts and so comfortable to carry!!   :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with everyone that has mentioned Blakka. I have cases by Swan, 5 Star (the older ones, not the new designs) and various others. I have small complaints to make about all of them i.e. positioning of the handle, comfort holding the handle on the heavier bigger cases, the foam stuff in the Swanflights rubbing off and getting all over the place including inside my record sleeves :g: , a glued wooden pannel at the front of my 5 Star 300 case coming lose... to be honest they are only small gripes in the grand scheme of things. All mentioned will perform the basic task of protecting your records, to varying degrees, and to be utterly blunt it is just a box. However as boxes go the Blakka is absolutely perfect in every way, designed as standard to fit 130 or 150 optional (but they custom make anything you want) by far the most solid construction of the lot, very comfy to carry, sturdy clasp for padlock, AND they fit D rings to the box if you ask them to so you could even fit a shoulder strap... expensive, yes maybe on the dear side, but not as dear as what goes inside it...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I've just come across another record box manufacturer that looks pretty good. Will be a tough choice not getting a Blacka one next but I have seen a company called wax in wood based in Barcelona, they look nice! Not the cheapest but have a look, a bit similar to that wooden box above on Manship

Social source share

I'm glad this thread came back to the top as I thought earlier I must report back........then completely forgot until I saw this thread pop up!!

Anyway, Mrs. R treated me to a nice shiny Blakka case for Christmas. Not used in anger yet so to speak, but it seems the dogs wotsits to me.

Many thanks for all the input. :-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!