Does Anyone Know Who This Is Please ?

grantdyche

This is what "Don't Forget The Motor City" says....

Watch Yourself (Luke Gross-George Kerr-Sidney Barnes) publ. Jobete

artist(s) unidentified; recording details unknown

[rel date unknown] [acetate]; 45 (M): Jobete

Watch Yourself

Carolyn Crawford; recorded Hitsville, completed 04-Mar-64 ; produced by Andre Williams

[rel date unknown] [acetate]; LP (M): JD 234

• Helpful 1
Social source share

She doesn't seem to have the range of either Kim Weston nor of Carolyn Crawford.  Kerr and Barnes had a few female demo singers at N.Y. Jobete - Norma Jenkins and Carol Moore. I can't remember at all, what Carol Moore sounds like, but remember she had a soft voice and sung in a higher range than this song's.  I'll need to listen to Norma Jenkins again. But, I don't think this artist is Jenkins, any more than I think she is Carolyn Crawford.

Social source share

Here's "I'll Come Running" by Carolyn Crawford:

I'm sure that you'll all agree that THIS acetate can absolutely NOT be the listed Carolyn Crawford acetate for this song.  This Jobete demo must have been recorded by a demo singer from The Jobete NY office (probably someone used exclusively by kerr and Barnes-rather than also by George Clinton and Gene Redd).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I have listened to "Forever And A Day" by Carol Moore, and the woman's voice from the cut (above) in question sounds more like her than any of the other stated candidates.  But, I can't post the sound file of that cut on this thread, as it was given to me by someone else, only for my opinion on it. 

So, if any of you know of a cut by Ms. Moore on The internet or another public source, please post it or a link to it.

I also remember hearing another song sung by her on a Jobete acetate, but don't remember the title, and don't have a file of it, and no other acetate is listed on "Don't Forget The Motor City".  So, it may be one that was "lifted" from The Motown Vaults and auctioned off in the 1990s, after I had seen it in The Vaults in the 1970s.  It may be lost to us because the new owner has not allowed others to hear it, so a file of it has not surfaced, and it hasn't gotten listed in the list of all Jobete songs (or. at least, we can't connect the listed Jobete song to any demo artist).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Has no one asked Sid? He might remember. I'll put him into it.

Good idea/  Also, ask him who Carol Moore was, and what other demo singers he and George Kerr used.  And ask him about george Kerr's setup with Maltese Records.   And ask him about Little Nicky Soul, if the songs he wrote for him had been songs he'd been starting to develop and was considering selling to Jobete music, but had gotten prevented when the NY Jobete office suddenly closed down.  "I Wanted to Tell You" has Motown flair and class, and high quality.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Here's "I'll Come Running" by Carolyn Crawford:

I'm sure that you'll all agree that THIS acetate can absolutely NOT be the listed Carolyn Crawford acetate for this song.  This Jobete demo must have been recorded by a demo singer from The Jobete NY office (probably someone used exclusively by kerr and Barnes-rather than also by George Clinton and Gene Redd).

I don't think it is Carolyn either, I simply listed the details for the acetates of that title.  It is probably the acetate with the unknown artist and written by Kerr, Barnes & Gross.  I sent Sidney a message last night.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

From Sid.

What up good buddy, yep a few sound familiar. "Watch Yourself Boy" is my old girl friend Jean Carter. I don't know who the others are. Carol Moore was a young lady from Newark that we used on a few tracks. Little Nicky was a good friend of mine who asked me to produce a Motown sounding record on him.

Social source share

Thanks, Matt.   So it was Jean Carter.  I have a couple records by her on major labels.  I'm referring to the New York Area singer, not the Detroit artist who recoded for Detroit's Sunflower Records.  Didn't she record for Decca? 

I think I've heard one more acetate from Carol Moore while perusing The Motown Vaults in the 1970s.  And Norma Jenkins sang a few demos for Kerr and Barnes at Jobete NY.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!