Poke Ruined My Life

it's cleethorpes, poke's dj'ing, he plays a record, cover-up, HE says it's Tony & Raymond (or Tony Raymonds) "We're gonna make it baby". not too many danced to it, as the months go by it got some respect, half filling the floor, later still, clifton hall, says to poke, 'ere £175 for that cover up (thinkin' he'd sell as he probably only slipped john anderson a couple of quid for it, i think poke worked for john at that point) he said "Nah". years later, after poke had sold his records i said "what was that record?" poke said "Buggered if i can remember"

My life has been ruined ever since that day, even if i can never get a copy would dearly love to know what the f**ckin' thing was really called and who it was really by. anyone have even half a bloody clue which sound i'm on about? or was it all a monster of my mind, preceeding from a speed opressed brain?

Help me obe 1 kanobi, you're my only hope!!!

Edited by rachel
Social source share

it's cleethorpes, poke's dj'ing, he plays a record, cover-up, HE says it's Tony & Raymond (or Tony Raymonds) "We're gonna make it baby". not too many danced to it, as the months go by it got some respect, half filling the floor, later still, clifton hall, says to poke, 'ere £175 for that cover up (thinkin' he'd sell as he probably only slipped john anderson a couple of quid for it, i think poke worked for john at that point) he said "Nah". years later, after poke had sold his records i said "what was that record?" poke said "Buggered if i can remember"

My life has been ruined ever since that day, even if i can never get a copy would dearly love to know what the f**ckin' thing was really called and who it was really by. anyone have even half a bloody clue which sound i'm on about? or was it all a monster of my mind, preceeding from a speed opressed brain?

Help me obe 1 kanobi, you're my only hope!!!

?

Hugh Boynton - We're gonna make it - Soul-Po-Tion

Original is blue label and it was used to dub the re-issue off, but with a yellow label.

Robin S on here will be able to give you full history of the track

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

?

Hugh Boynton - We're gonna make it - Soul-Po-Tion

Original is blue label and it was used to dub the re-issue off, but with a yellow label.

Robin S on here will be able to give you full history of the track

Hi Simon,

Yes I sure can!

I got Poke's copy when he sold a load of stuff. (Through Rich Broughton - Nottm)

Yes it was Hugh Boynton - i paid £80. I also got the Charisma Band for £5 before any real exposure on the Modern/Northern scenes.

Fantastic record - and yes Coops I first heard and fell in love with it at Cleethorpes.

I played it heavily at Stafford and various Venues I Djed at mid 80's.

Before I sold it to Graeme Ellis I was asked by Gary Cape if he could borrow it to do a legit repress. Jesse Boone had not got the master anymore. These were on yellow label (Still got my complimentary copy!) People try to sell these as originals but the original is a dark blue. Any other proper originajs turned up over the years?

Social source share

Fantastic record - and yes Coops I first heard and fell in love with it at Cleethorpes.

# Me too, still got a tape of Poke playing it at Cleethorpes.

I played it heavily at Stafford and various Venues I Djed at mid 80's.

# you playing it at Stafford too, happy days!

Before I sold it to Graeme Ellis I was asked by Gary Cape if he could borrow it to do a legit repress. Jesse Boone had not got the master anymore. These were on yellow label (Still got my complimentary copy!) People try to sell these as originals but the original is a dark blue. Any other proper originajs turned up over the years?

# Never heard of another copy ever turning up. Didn't most of Graeme's stuff go to Japan via Norfolk?

Social source share

Off topic i know Steve but the Eagles top of the league :thumbsup::ohmy:

Peter Taylor's Blue and Red Army!!

Derek

And my team (Foxes) bottom of the leage Derek.."It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom".....Sure Ady Croasdale, John Manship,Pete Shirley and Lee Vowles will all agree!!!

Social source share

And my team (Foxes) bottom of the leage Derek.."It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom".....Sure Ady Croasdale, John Manship,Pete Shirley and Lee Vowles will all agree!!!

Yup, Early days yet - first BIG test Sunday lunchtime with the arrival of L**DS at Chez Selhurst. We usually misfire on lunchtime kick offs, but hey 6 points in the bag at this point is better than three. I am sure Leicester will be fine once they get started.

Social source share

• 17 years later...

How quick the  years fly by, Cleethorpes     THE £4 A DAY CAR PARK SITE OF THE FORMER BUILDING KNOWN AS THE WINTER GARDENS. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ANOTHER ENTERTAINMENT VENUE IN THE TOWN OF CLEETHORPES WHICH HELD ‘NORTHERN SOUL’ EVENTS, THE PIER.         circa 82/83

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

That Poke segmont explains a lot about the record itself and found it very interesting being a stable mate of Poke as most of you will know during the Cleethorpes Years, and as a DJ and Friend had a lot of time for him. He knew a bloody good tune when he head it 😉

Rick, Unfortunately I never got to hear him play but if the Hugh Boynton track is anything to go by then I have to ask myself, what the hell have I missed over the years.

I never made it to Cleethorpes but Simon T's clip of it from there sounds fantastic. What a tune. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Rick, Unfortunately I never got to hear him play but if the Hugh Boynton track is anything to go by then I have to ask myself, what the hell have I missed over the years.

I never made it to Cleethorpes but Simon T's clip of it from there sounds fantastic. What a tune. 

Thanks Jessie, and as you say a fab tune but hey we are all learning every day what great songs there are out there and this is just one of them for you to love and cherish xx hope you went up on to YouTube or what other music platform you use and hear it in all its Glory, have fun, Rick 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/09/2023 at 12:12, Rick Scott said:

Thanks Jessie, and as you say a fab tune but hey we are all learning every day what great songs there are out there and this is just one of them for you to love and cherish xx hope you went up on to YouTube or what other music platform you use and hear it in all its Glory, have fun, Rick 

Everyday's a school day.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

1. The latest I would have recorded it (Poke C/U) at Cleethorpes    THE £4 A DAY CAR PARK SITE OF THE FORMER BUILDING KNOWN AS THE WINTER GARDENS. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ANOTHER ENTERTAINMENT VENUE IN THE TOWN OF CLEETHORPES WHICH HELD ‘NORTHERN SOUL’ EVENTS, THE PIER.      would have been the first Saturday December 1983

2. Robin taped if for me Christmas 1985 still a cover up

3. Discogs has the yellow re-issue 1989 courtesy of Robin's original, but obviously now longer a C/U

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Cleethorpes is a town in Lincolnshire. It is not a venue. There's so many times people say Cleethorpes this and that, but they are all talking about different venues at different era's of Northern Soul history. It would be a lot more helpful for people to name the venues and approx dates, and not just the town!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Solidsoul said:

Cleethorpes is a town in Lincolnshire. It is not a venue. So many times people say Cleethorpes this and that, but they are all taking about different venues at different era's of Northern Soul history. It would be a lot more helpful for people to name the venues and approx dates, and not just the town!

Early 80s, 82/83 for the record in question

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!