Harold Melvin Revue Stafford / Sheffield Rebels 82

Pete S

Anyone - Chalky, Dave maybe - can you tell me the date that Harold Melvin played at Stafford TOTW?
Apart from his memorabilia, my mate gave me his tapes as well and there is a stunning quality recording of the Harold Melvin show in there, but no date.

If Chalky hasn't already posted it up, I'll do so once I've converted it.

There's also a full tape of the Ric Tic Revue at Hinckley.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Thanks Steve - 2nd April - don't know what year though.

By the way, there's a tape in here from a Sheffield venue I never heard of, Sheffield Rebels, Jan 2nd 1982, looking at the track list it starts with a Searling spot, don't know who does the second spot but I'd have walked out, it's all modern...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Look at the flyer to the right Pete. 1983.

Second spot at Rebels was possibly me btw !!!!

See if this jogs your memory

(don't know which are cover ups or not, just copying track list)

BOBBY KING IF YOU DON'T WANT MY LOVE

C.M. LORD - I'M HAPPY THAT LOVE HAS FOUND YOU

LEON BRYANT - MIGHTY BODY HITSY TOTSY

JOHNNY BRISTOL - LOVE NO LONGER HAS A HOLD

RIDEOUT - SOMEONE SPECIAL

LOVESMITH - JUST LIKE MAGIC

WAYNE WARREN - HITS ON SOMEBODY'S BABE

DELLS - YOUR SONG

CHARLES JOHNSON - NEVER HAD A LOVE SO GOOD

BOBBY HUTTON - I GOT IT FROM HEAVEN

TONY FOXX - LOVE LET LOVE

God Help Us All  :lol:

Social source share

DELLS - YOUR SONG

What a fabulous playlist….I went to the Niters at Rotters, great, top events Richard was on his new release vibe at the time…..Frank from Southampton used to travel back with me on the train…..I realise not your cup of tea, but for some of us they were top nights and well worth the train ride to Sheffield. 

PS: HM also played the Embassy Club in London around the same time...

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

What a fabulous playlist….I went to the Niters at Rotters, great, top events Richard was on his new release vibe at the time…..Frank from Southampton used to travel back with me on the train…..I realise not your cup of tea, but for some of us they were top nights and well worth the train ride to Sheffield. 

PS: HM also played the Embassy Club in London around the same time...

Yeah I got it wrong Steve, it's all one Searling spot, proper Northern first then the others stuff.

The Searling set includes (again, I realise that some of these are cover ups):

ELBIE PARKER - PLEASE KEEP AWAY

CLIFF WAGNER - SOMETHING AIN'T RIGHT

LAMAR THOMAS - ALL OF MY LIFE SPENT WAITING FOR YOU

PIERRE HUNT - THE THOUGHT OF LOVING YOU

SOFTONES - CANDY

OSCAR PERRY - JUST LET ME DO IT

BRIAN HOLLAND - THANK YOU GIRL

EDDIE HOLMAN - WHERE I'M NOT WANTED

LITTLE ANN - WHEN HE'S NOT AROUND

MR. SOUL - WHAT HAPPENED TO YESTERDAY

JOHNNY HONEYCUTT - I'M COMING OVER

THE Q - THATS THE WAY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't have a recoding of that night Pete but can't wait to hear it. Can you do me a wav recording?

Erm..yeah probably...I'm just recording it into the mac, then it'll be in itunes - if I put it into mixcloud to edit it together I can save it as a wav, just let me know where you want it sent to.  Quality is awesome, performance has had me nodding off while listening, so many ballads...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You did Rebels didn't you Steve? Plus Baileys , Sheffield and Roth. Tiffs, Turn Ups etc.

Did you get to Sam and Arthur's other do in Sheffield , Take Two?

Hi Steve M, yes South Yorks was the place for us modern dudes at the time, didn't miss a single Rotters…..Sheffied and Rotherham Tiffs yes, I remember going to Snaith for an evening do, I went after work in london one Friday night, I was the first one there, it was all closed up when I got there on the bus from Goole. There was a sign on the door advertising strippers! …..Anyway Arthur turned up and it all started (not the strippers ha ha)…..Soul Sam gave me a lift back to Donny after the event so I could get a night train back to London about 3 am…..otherwise no other way of getting home to Kent….madness! Loved it, but never went to Take Two. 

Social source share

Would love to hear that Pete.......my first ever all nighter so special significance or me! :-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Just listening to this now Mark, the sound quality is incredible...band aren't half playing fast though!  Al Kent, Pat Lewis, Lou Ragland and JJ Barnes been on so far.

Social source share

Just listening to this now Mark, the sound quality is incredible...band aren't half playing fast though!  Al Kent, Pat Lewis, Lou Ragland and JJ Barnes been on so far.

Does Edwin split the crowd down the middle and do the (left) "War, what is it good for", (right) "absolutely nothin'"?  I'm sure I recall that but I saw him several times and he probably ALWAYS did it!!

Will be downloading that Pete, for sure! :-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Mark let me have an email and I'll send you this via an online dropbox type thing, I have decided I'm not going to make it public just yet.

I've tried to upload the Stafford one but the places I put it on won't let people download it for free as it's too big.

I'll think of something.

Social source share

DELLS - YOUR SONG

I think the only C/U is Billy Harner - IGIFH- Sound Gems

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Harold Melvin also did a gig at a dance hall in Hinckley just down the road from the leisure centre around the same time. I can't remember the name of the venue and I think it's been knocked down now. I looked on street view but can't see it. :(

Social source share

Harold Melvin also did a gig at a dance hall in Hinckley just down the road from the leisure centre around the same time. I can't remember the name of the venue and I think it's been knocked down now. I looked on street view but can't see it. :(

Hi Matt,

It wouldn't be the Regent Club would it? Martha Reeves was pulled from the Leisure Centre last minute and the nighter took place at the Regent Club......just across the lights.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Matt,

It wouldn't be the Regent Club would it? Martha Reeves was pulled from the Leisure Centre last minute and the nighter took place at the Regent Club......just across the lights.

Cheers,

Mark R

That's the one, The Regent. Cheers Mark.

Social source share

Erm..yeah probably...I'm just recording it into the mac, then it'll be in itunes - if I put it into mixcloud to edit it together I can save it as a wav, just let me know where you want it sent to.  Quality is awesome, performance has had me nodding off while listening, so many ballads...

You can send to my email chalky@karlwhite.me.uk via dropbox or sendspace maybe?  Might be weekend before I can download though.  Wouldn't mind hearing theric tic revue too  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!