Forgotten Monsters From Wigan Etc Days

Guest Garry Huxley

2 hours ago, Joey said:

Was this actually played at Wigan? Really? Must have been WELL after I quit the scene. If Russ or Richard had spun this in 74, they'd most likely have been prodded several times with something sharp and pointy. It really is quite dreadful. Please, make it go away. PLEASE!

I thought that weird intro to Tim Tam and the Turnons 

seemed familiar- 

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Lighten up.  It's as much a part of the scene as anything.  Drugs have been and always will be part of the northern / rare nighter scene long before I  started going and will be long after I stop 

Steve 

😖👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dis57 said:

I remember Tears being massive and the reissue selling well.

BUT it featured on a John Peel late night special and got slated!

How would anybody know the significance of such a record unless they were in the moment on the dancefloor?

KTF..

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I clearly remember Tim Tam Being played in Nottingham  ,   early/mid 78.  The DJ Actually announced it as ' Frankie Valli & the Beach Boys'  🤣.

it had a revival a few years ago,  North Notts/east mids area,  a floor filler every time.    I still have a UK ISLAND issue,   but fear not,  i dont play it out

Social source share

1 hour ago, Patto said:

Yeah thats true but there are good reasons why the vast majority of the tunes should be remembered.

Lots of dross records were played at all the legendary clubs.The 80s also turned out some dire records and right up to the present there are many tunes that produce an almost audible groan whenever they are played.But even the dross attracts someone onto the dancefloor.

The early Wigan era tunes were before my time but i always feel that they create a certain x factor atmosphere that only these records can generate. They still cause a great deal of interest and discusion hence the longevity of the records reflected in this mamoth thread.

The quest for new discoveries in every era ensured much shite was played.  Thankfully, in my era anyway they soon got dropped. 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

That'd just be someone cueing up the 'wrong' side of another dreadful instrumental ... :facepalm:

Could be - Think I remember another track by Harry Betts played, might have been the B side, again, as you say, probably a mistake.

Thinking about it, they are probably forgotten, but hardly monsters.

Cheers

Mick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

By definition it must've been since I belong to you is a made to measure vocal done in response to its popularity. Dx

The Instro was played, probably 10 years or more before that awful vocal came along. The best thing I ever did was send my copy to Manship and get him to auction it when it was resurrected 2-3 years ago and he sold it for almost £900 and I used the cash to buy some really great records and rid my collection of another filler that I bought on the spur of the moment for £40 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!