Eddie Parker Awake How Many Copies

Just to satisfy my curiosity - how many of these are there? I know its hard, I know it goes for BIG bucks, I saw the one that went for auction this year/last...but what we talking, and is there an exact number - can they be traced like other records where you know XYZ has one.

good luck Dennis, you keep plugging away mate. 

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

there is probably more than is thought, some collectors just collect and never go near northern events, quite a few spread over the world with DJ's. My guess is there is probably in excess of 50 in the hands of people who its value, plus a few scattered around yet to be found.

All speculation of course.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

All very interesting, had I not asked, I'd have thought there was only about 10-15 copies... so the appeal is in having what some call the 'ultimate' soul record, which of course is the general, but not universal sentiment. 

Funny isn't it, because I heard it so many times on CD when I was younger - before going out/buying records - that i'm not that bothered by it. I also know it might be because I never had  that collective experience shared with others on the dance floor of hearing it for the very first time - wondering what it was, how to get it etc...bloody CD's!

Social source share

Are these ex-pats Flynny, or Japanese collectors?

Natives...Soul collectors, but certainly not Northern collectors. I almost got one a couple of months ago, but just got beat to it!

I also recall almost buying Ady Pierce's copy from him when he sold up his personal Detroit collection...got outbid at £800...which was OTT at the time (mid 8T's?)...and ironically it ended up in Japan!

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Natives...Soul collectors, but certainly not Northern collectors. I almost got one a couple of months ago, but just got beat to it!

I also recall almost buying Ady Pierce's copy from him when he sold up his personal Detroit collection...got outbid at £800...which was OTT at the time (mid 8T's?)...and ironically iy ended up in Japan!

Thats Naughty!! Dave  :ohmy:  Kinda like rubbing your nose in it :(

Social source share

Thats Naughty!! Dave :ohmy: Kinda like rubbing your nose in it :(

It's not a problem mate, or so the therapy sessions keep telling me!

:)

Must admit I initially didn't appreciate just how good the track is, and indeed it was one of the tracks I would hop over when playing the Grapevine LP! Nowadays I can hardly believe I used to do that...it is prime NS.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And just think of those deep collectors in Mr Flynns adopted land that were buying it for other side! Adds another couple of dozen, at least, Somebody better sell it to Mr Dennison cheap, before the price plummets when the owners read this and think.......

Even though I think the other side is a perfect dancer, and not deep! And almost as good, but doesn't have the spitting fervour that the top side has.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

the spitting fervour

Wonderfully original description...chuck in words like, "snarling" and "macho", and maybe we're on our way to the perfect description!

Social source share

Wasn`t the Billy Sha-rae version played out 1st?..............it`s the one I remember hearing around 71-72 ish and bought from a certain "Barrow-Boy" at that time.

This is mine!  :P

post-7917-0-82273400-1416414299_thumb.jp

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I also recall almost buying Ady Pierce's copy from him when he sold up his personal Detroit collection...got outbid at £800...which was OTT at the time (mid 8T's?)...and ironically it ended up in Japan!

That copy came from Stuart Bennett who had to sell it to get out of some financial problems he was having at the time. He's never got over it, even to this day.  :lol:

Social source share

Adey told me he bought that out of Kopples collection thru Tim Brown, Adey told me he paid a 1000 for it took it out of the package played it half the way thru  put it on the shelves before it was finished, thats when he realised collecting was a mugs game and sold up not long after

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

........I also recall almost buying Ady Pierce's copy from him when he sold up his personal Detroit collection...got outbid at £800...which was OTT at the time (mid 8T's?)...and ironically it ended up in Japan!

Was that when he auctioned them via paper list, all done in alphabetical order Dave ? We had to bid with the top price we would pay & no follow up bid topping ? He had some nice records, I ended up with a mint Nabay, Duke Browner demo, etc. I can remember sitting looking at his latest list thinking what's going to be on the next one as I turned to my mate & asked him what comes after the letter 'P' ?  :g:

Social source share

And just think of those deep collectors in Mr Flynns adopted land that were buying it for other side! Adds another couple of dozen, at least, Somebody better sell it to Mr Dennison cheap, before the price plummets when the owners read this and think.......

Even though I think the other side is a perfect dancer, and not deep! And almost as good, but doesn't have the spitting fervour that the top side has.

Thank you Jock, your help is greatly appreciated to nail down this juggernaught of a 45.....might as well mention it here too that I'm doing a Tony Middleton "too the ends......" for a copy of this....any kind soul that would like to part with it please message, text, email, pidgeon carrier, message in a bottle,fax, telegraph, ticket tape or any other means please do contact me, as you can prob tell I'm interested in a copy :-)

Social source share

So, now we know then. This is a really common record and there are hundreds of copies out there, but tucked away safely in top collections. Back in the day not even fit for Soul Packs, a mere give-away item. Funny there's rarely a copy available for sale yet it's on so many Wants Lists. And to think, 'Love You Baby ' was once The Eddie Parker record to chase after...

Social source share

So, now we know then. This is a really common record and there are hundreds of copies out there, but tucked away safely in top collections. Back in the day not even fit for Soul Packs, a mere give-away item. Funny there's rarely a copy available for sale yet it's on so many Wants Lists. And to think, 'Love You Baby ' was once The Eddie Parker record to chase after...

Fifty copies scattered around over 40 years would be very hard to track down...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!