Eddie Parker Awake How Many Copies

I wondered whether it was worth working backwards to establish the number pressed up.

When a tune was put onto tape and the record label would want to test the water or promote a tune how many would they press up initially?

I'm not familiar with the industry but imagine small record labels would behave alike, John Anderson may be able shed some light on what was 'normal' initial press for a small label.

Social source share

And just think of those deep collectors in Mr Flynns adopted land that were buying it for other side! Adds another couple of dozen, at least, Somebody better sell it to Mr Dennison cheap, before the price plummets when the owners read this and think.......

Even though I think the other side is a perfect dancer, and not deep! And almost as good, but doesn't have the spitting fervour that the top side has.

For Japanese, this "I'm Gone" by Eddie Parker is a pure deep soul.  Peoples outside of Japan think only ballad is a deep soul.  No,  this is wrong.  "Deep Soul" is not called for only ballad songs.  What we, Japanese, call deep soul is depend on the "voice" which means no concern to ballad or dancer.   So, Eddie Parker is called as a deep soul singer for Japanese as his voice is deep enough.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

For Japanese, this "I'm Gone" by Eddie Parker is a pure deep soul.  Peoples outside of Japan think only ballad is a deep soul.  No,  this is wrong.  "Deep Soul" is not called for only ballad songs.  What we, Japanese, call deep soul is depend on the "voice" which means no concern to ballad or dancer.   So, Eddie Parker is called as a deep soul singer for Japanese as his voice is deep enough.

I was being a little flippant, but that is an interesting insight. Hence why his mighty Miko monster of malevolance, was rarely seen this country back in the day, and possible still. 

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

there is probably more than is thought, some collectors just collect and never go near northern events, quite a few spread over the world with DJ's. My guess is there is probably in excess of 50 in the hands of people who its value, plus a few scattered around yet to be found.

All speculation of course.

Spot on..... not everyone wants the world to know what they have in their collection...

Social source share

Dave Godin who invented the term Deep Soul took a similar line though he stated that it was the quality/intensity of the performance rather than the timbre of the singer's voice that qualified a record as such. Hence Ruby Andrews 'Just Loving You' on one of his Deep Soul Treasures CD. He would have approved of the Japanese take on this, I'm sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spot on..... not everyone wants the world to know what they have in their collection...

there is probably more than is thought, some collectors just collect and never go near northern events, quite a few spread over the world with DJ's. My guess is there is probably in excess of 50 in the hands of people who its value, plus a few scattered around yet to be found.

All speculation of course.

To bookend this interesting discussion with a 'speculative' answer given the knowledge imparted here, no one would be surprised if there were over 100 copies?

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fifty copies scattered around over 40 years would be very hard to track down...

I reckon there's 70 odd copies in the UK. . Not a lot in the scheme... all the big boys seem to have it and naturally not one will sell as that makes them drop a notch in the pecking order seeing as it's one of the best ...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Most of Japanese still and basically like a deep soul ballad since 60-70s but they are also listening the dancer with deep voice like gospel-ish, strong and very hot voice which we feel the blackness.  We are basically enjoying with those voices.  So, we listened both ballad and dancer by James Carr, Spencer Wiggins, Wilson Picket for example.  They were all deep soul singers for us.  On the other hand, I can say we do not like a poppy voice. 

This post takes me back to one of my first DJ sets in Japan. I had a few big-vocal discs in the box ready, as I thought they would go down well -i.e. Sam Fletcher, Roy Hamilton, Lou Johnson et al. However, before I played them it was pointed out within a discussion that generally these artists/discs were not liked by Japanese Soul fans at all! Why you may ask...well if you take a short step back and listen to them they are basically more "Pop" than Soul...strings and big productions do not tick the Soul boxes.

Made me think a lot about my collection at that point, and it makes one realise that an awful lot of Northern Soul discs are not super Soulful...and I'm not just talking about the Blue-eyed stuff...not that I have a problem with that in the slightest!

:g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just shows how the mind plays tricks I thought the saying "Soul as deep as you like and then some" was written on D.G.'s Deep soul label but had a look and its not was it on the sleeve ?

"Soul as deep as you like and then some" was part of the Soul City label, i never had any Deep Soul ones so can't refer

Social source share

Dave Godin who invented the term Deep Soul took a similar line though he stated that it was the quality/intensity of the performance rather than the timbre of the singer's voice that qualified a record as such. Hence Ruby Andrews 'Just Loving You' on one of his Deep Soul Treasures CD. He would have approved of the Japanese take on this, I'm sure.

Reminds me I must find the C90 I recorded of Dave Godin & your good self Ady on Richard Searling's show ...can't remember if still JFM at the time or Smooth etc... that I recorded when Dave Godin did the sleeve notes on the CD. Were you  both on 2 weeks on the trot? Memory fails me but know I recorded it somewhere!

Social source share

Reminds me I must find the C90 I recorded of Dave Godin & your good self Ady on Richard Searling's show ...can't remember if still JFM at the time or Smooth etc... that I recorded when Dave Godin did the sleeve notes on the CD. Were you  both on 2 weeks on the trot? Memory fails me but know I recorded it somewhere!

We did it together on JFM then Dave did another one on his tod later. I doubt if it would have been the next week, more likely for the next volume.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That copy came from Stuart Bennett who had to sell it to get out of some financial problems he was having at the time. He's never got over it, even to this day.  :lol:

Stuart bought it off Andy Spencer from Birmingham for about £120 when he sold up.

Fred Krol has one.

atb,Geoff.

Edited by Geoff B
Social source share

There are probably at least another 50 or so in the collections of US and Canadian Soul and Detroit collectors.  I know at least a handful of Detroit collectors had it, and, I'm sure that more existed than a handful plus Anderson's box.   There must have been at least 500 pressed originally.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, jim g said:

Just listening to recording from The Torch in 1972 and Eddie Parker "I'm Gone" is on it. Memories!

When I was at Wigan oldies one night ,someone brought a copy of Eddie Parker "I'm gone " for Richard to play ,and I distinctly remember him saying " I remember this from the Torch " .I was told I was wrong later , glad to see it was actually played at Hose Street .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 19/11/2014 at 19:07, sammy seaman said:

theres also a version by ELDRIDGE GRAVY heard there was only 50 pressed! its not that bad my mate just got a copy from the states

On 19/11/2014 at 19:19, Pete S said:

it was in a picture sleeve and was definitely from a USA soul weekender, it's a remake / recent recording though 

Eldridge Gravy I’m Gone (Emerald City Soul Club) vocal & Instrumental

Limited edition of 250 released 2011.

Currently one copy for sale on Discogs from a UK seller @ £90.

Dx

Social source share

Someone played that Billy Sha Rae  version at a do i was at recently, piss poor by comparison imo but was glad as it saved me having to play it lol

The Hesitations LP track Thats what love is now thats a different story well worth a spin with the gain turned up 

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

Someone played that Billy Sha Rae  version at a do i was at recently, piss poor by comparison imo but was glad as it saved me having to play it lol

The Hesitations LP track Thats what love is now thats a different story well worth a spin with the gain turned up 

Hesitations the best use of the backing for me, and the original.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 21 November 2014 at 21:11, Eddie Hubbard said:

Lewie from Runcorn had a copy ,when he sold up and left the scene he told me he was going to keep and frame it .I don't know for sure what happened to him or the Eddie Parker record ...

Eddie,  Lewie's copy came from richard searling; the first copy we had seen in the flesh, when he bought it down to an alldayer.  I think that most of the copies that people have seen, have been recycled between collectors, which makes it look like there are more, than a few, in existence.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bizarre that anyone should refer to the Sha-Rae version as "piss poor" even in the context of a comparison. It's an excellent version in it's own right. I've always preferred the EP version but here isn't much in it between all three.  

Edited by maslar
typo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On 19/11/2014 at 19:11, Pete S said:

Recent recording though.  GIven away at a soul weekender I think

And that was too expensive!............Utter $hite to my now bleeding ears.

Social source share

3 hours ago, jim g said:

Here you go: eddie parker at 28:35 to go.

Sorry Jim, your ear-trumpet needs new batteries:lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

5 hours ago, maslar said:

Bizarre that anyone should refer to the Sha-Rae version as "piss poor" even in the context of a comparison. It's an excellent version in it's own right. I've always preferred the EP version but here isn't much in it between all three.  

We all have opinions and thats what I believe. Take the piss out may be a bit strong ok it's poor by comparison

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

We all have opinions and thats what I believe. Take the piss out may be a bit strong ok it's poor by comparison

Yes, very poor!

Regarding Eddie Parkers version, even if you don`t actually like it you have to appreciate it`s total quality and acknowledge that it`s right up there as one of the top 3  Northern Soul 45s there`s ever been. 

What it lacks is just not needed!

Social source share

5 hours ago, neckender said:

Eddie,  Lewie's copy came from richard searling; the first copy we had seen in the flesh, when he bought it down to an alldayer.  I think that most of the copies that people have seen, have been recycled between collectors, which makes it look like there are more, than a few, in existence.

Thanks Mark , he had some nice records in his box ,I still wonder what happened to him and the record ...

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Yes, very poor!

Regarding Eddie Parkers version, even if you don`t actually like it you have to appreciate it`s total quality and acknowledge that it`s right up there as one of the top 3  Northern Soul 45s there`s ever been. 

What it lacks is just not needed!

It's a barn stormer of a northern record for sure. I would struggle to get down to a top three but it's up there. Totally off topic - well maybe not, Gino Washington would be up there with my top whatever number. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, jim g said:

Here you go: eddie parker at 28:35 to go

Wow, proper Northern Soul!  They were so lucky at that time, having most of those great records as 60's newies!  I had to wait until Wigan to hear them!

Thanks for posting it up. 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!