Instrumentals - Bovvered?

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

is anyone bothered about instrumentals much these days, I can understand the appeal way back when as part of the youth scene but is there a market for them now.

personally they do nothing for me but I wasn't around back then and don't really see the appeal now. I always skip past them or even delete them when listening to music on my PC, am I alone in this?

cheers Andy

Social source share

Used to collect em in a big way at one point - things like Frank Foster, Dick Leslie, Billy Preston (In The Midnight Hour), 'The Kinettes', Earl Van Dyke, Gerry and Paul, Exus Trek etc etc are SO full of oomph and excitement they're just brilliant - though I must admit I was never particularly hot on dancing to them.

The issue for me is usually instrumentals of vocal recordings - especially the 'tracks' as they tend to have a badly filled hole in production where the singer was.

Dx

Social source share

Andy

Still love em.

Frank Foster-Harlem Rumble

Mike Vickers-On The Brink

Guy's old Lord Thunder c/u......Blockbusters-Muddy pt2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dnzmqekds

More up to date.....Los Sonidos De Fm-Los Adolescentes

Cheers

Martyn

Los Sonidos might get a spin at Bradford.Re: oldie instrumental still love G Davis/R Tyler "hold on help is on the way"!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sidra's Theme - played this yeterday when listing it and nearly took the roof off.

The original instrumental of Betty Boo - Say it isn't so it really nice.

Still my top 3 are Bari Track, Exus Trek and Frantic Escape...not forgetting semi vocals like Ton Of Dynamite and Do The Pearl Girl

• Helpful 3
Social source share

is anyone bothered about instrumentals much these days, I can understand the appeal way back when as part of the youth scene but is there a market for them now.

personally they do nothing for me but I wasn't around back then and don't really see the appeal now. I always skip past them or even delete them when listening to music on my PC, am I alone in this?

cheers Andy

It depends whether you see it as "a market" or just beautiful music. Me; I've always liked the music :)

Social source share

cheers Andy

Not a big lover Andy, still like to hear some occasionally, bari track, bird-walkin', soul step, but wouldn't be impressed if loads were played. Just prefer vocals, nothing deeper. 

Social source share

Sidra's Theme - played this yeterday when listing it and nearly took the roof off.

The original instrumental of Betty Boo - Say it isn't so it really nice.

Still my top 3 are Bari Track, Exus Trek and Frantic Escape...not forgetting semi vocals like Ton Of Dynamite and Do The Pearl Girl

Betty Boo -forgot this one  -so good

Social source share

Always prefered the vocals personally.

1st Tuesday of the month im doing a radio show with me old mates Paul Cater & John Poole on Ambersound radio 9 - 11 pm

We are playing instrumental of the month at about 10.30

Last months instrumental was Kenny Gambles - The jokes on you

This months I think is Imperial Cs - Someone tell her

Not quiet your every day instrumentals

Abbersound Radio 107.2 FM

Tuneinapp

Ambersoundfm.com/ 

Edited by Mick Boyle
Social source share

I first found it and played it in uk, around 2007. Might as well claim my credit before it goes to someone else ;-)

Fully justified. Mace would be quick to agree if he wasn't working so hard at keeping the Nations housewives happy. :wink:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I first found it and played it in uk, around 2007. Might as well claim my credit before it goes to someone else ;-)

Wasn't try to steal anyone's thunder just stating who & where I first heard it played.

Nice one for finding & playing it :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

I assume we're talking about northern backing tracks here as instrumentals are a huge part of black american music?? They're integral to R&B, funk and boogaloo aren't they??

Can't beat a good northern one when the instrumental version isn't simply the vocal removed but then replaced with another instrument etc. Having sad that Butch's Voicemasters acetate is one of the best ones i've heard in along time, better than the vocal version imho, just works so well as a groove to dance to.

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy

Still love em.

Frank Foster-Harlem Rumble

Mike Vickers-On The Brink

Guy's old Lord Thunder c/u......Blockbusters-Muddy pt2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dnzmqekds

More up to date.....Los Sonidos De Fm-Los Adolescentes

Cheers

Martyn

Is it Hank Marvin backed by The Dave Clark Five? :lol: I love GOOD instrumentals and there's so many I can't be bothered to list them, don't know why no one gives em a spin? Maybe cos they don't know the words!!!!!! :lol: 

Spot. :shades: 

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Not keen on instrumental versions of vocals, but Willie Mitchell - The Champion, EW&F - Biyo, Doni Burdick - Bari Track, Just Bros. - Sliced Tomatoes, Raw Soul - The Gig, Life - Cats Eyes, Nite-liters - K Gee, all were a part of the scene, from Bill Blacks Combo - Little Queenie thro' to Weather Report - Mr Gone.

Social source share

Yes. There are some great instrumentals that are better than the vocal versions!

Some instrumentals capture the very essence of Northern Soul!!

"Hold On, Help Is On The Way"!!!!!!!!

from G Davis and R Tyler!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!