Instrumentals - Bovvered?

Guest Andy Kempster

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=joe%20lee%20hang&sm=3

Like Joel said, instrumental music is a fundamental part of black american dance music, but northern soul is a song based scene and as instrumentals tend to be more groove based, the two were never going to get on that well.

So when this subject comes up, I dont know why we only have to suggest northern-soul friendly instrumentals instead of all the great r&b, jazz, boogaloo, ska or funk ones, but frank foster is a belter, and despite it being naff in most respects, I love night of the wolf.

other favourites - bo jr on tailgate, mauricio smith - el green hornet and how about this one for a bit of that frank foster feel - oh the link's gone to the top for some reason

Social source share

Silly argument  :yes:

Silly argument  :yes:

no argument..i'm sure you have loads of instrs in your collection..and i love some that other would call dire..( i still play here at Gracelands the first doctored version of Footsee..love it..) and unless you were about during the days when lots of instrs were played and many in preference to the vocal..i think most people would dismiss them..which is a pity..so...greatest of all time for me..BOK TO BACH, BREAKAWAY,AFTERNOON RHINO, DETROIT LANDAPPLES..if you've got those you dont need anymore :P

Social source share

no argument..i'm sure you have loads of instrs in your collection..and i love some that other would call dire..( i still play here at Gracelands the first doctored version of Footsee..love it..) and unless you were about during the days when lots of instrs were played and many in preference to the vocal..i think most people would dismiss them..which is a pity..so...greatest of all time for me..BOK TO BACH, BREAKAWAY,AFTERNOON RHINO, DETROIT LANDAPPLES..if you've got those you dont need anymore :P

I've got all those and love them all.

With Bari Track I was using that as an example that it's as good as any Northern Soul vocal record.  Not that it was the only instrumental worth having.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

russ used to the play the instrumental to two tunes that havent turned up yet after years of searching...

be young be foolish be happy 

skiing in the snow

oddball i know 

does he remember them?..i ve a very vague recollection..wonder if they were associated with Soussan?

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Earl Wright Thumb a ride if the sax break dont get you then you ain't got soul .

One of the biggest instrumentals record of all time , used be mega rare when it was first played back in the day.

I remember Colin Curtis playing this of a emi disc , very few people had the original  back then.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Love Instrumentals, my favorite one depending on whether Ive got my sixties or seventies head on, either The Muscle Shoals Swampers - House For Sale or Detroit Rhythm Section - I Know Something, that one Andy Rix and Dave Flynn still have Covered Up!!!    

And this week, cause Richard Serling opened his show with it the other week: The Three Degrees -  Reflections of yesterday... absolutely Brilliant... also The Nite-Liters- K-Jee, which I was surprised to find out was a Wigan play, and Liberty - Girl You Better Wake Up... you live and learn.  I'd suggest checking out some of the early 100 club anni singles, remember there are one or two good ones here..

Mal:-))

Social source share

The musicians create the platform which showcases the vocals...

I can't stomp to Accapella (sp?)...

But learned to dance via Earl Wright...Davis & Tyler...Just Bros...Billy Preston...Righteuos Bros Band etc.

To my mind, what the great instrumentals may lack in soulful vocals, they make up for in having a certain atmoshphere or vibe that gets you.

Always loved 'em.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Three i've always really liked  are Emanons 'Bird Walkin', only because the instro without vocal has a really creepy memorable slant to it, Zeke & The Soul Setters (William Cummings) which is great because the vocal is replaced by  some wicked saxaphone by Zeke, and Hoop N John because the monster bassline in it works well in a big venue.

Another cracker is Pisces Pace by Dave Hamilton....

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Love Instrumentals, my favorite one depending on whether Ive got my sixties or seventies head on, either The Muscle Shoals Swampers - House For Sale or Detroit Rhythm Section - I Know Something, that one Andy Rix and Dave Flynn still have Covered Up!!!    

And this week, cause Richard Serling opened his show with it the other week: The Three Degrees -  Reflections of yesterday... absolutely Brilliant... also The Nite-Liters- K-Jee, which I was surprised to find out was a Wigan play, and Liberty - Girl You Better Wake Up... you live and learn.  I'd suggest checking out some of the early 100 club anni singles, remember there are one or two good ones here..

Mal:-))

Detroit Rhythm Section is amazing - all due to that bizarre breakdown.

Roger Bank's famous Kinettes is another classic as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Three i've always really liked  are Emanons 'Bird Walkin', only because the instro without vocal has a really creepy memorable slant to it, Zeke & The Soul Setters (William Cummings) which is great because the vocal is replaced by  some wicked saxaphone by Zeke, and Hoop N John because the monster bassline in it works well in a big venue.

Oh yes, thats a cracker, remember 'Dave Hamilton - Blue Vibes' used to get played at the 100 club, was only for a short time I think, thats another good one...

I'll check out the sax on Zeke & The Soul Setters (William Cummings)... sounds good that

Social source share

One of the biggest instrumentals record of all time , used be mega rare when it was first played back in the day.

I remember Colin Curtis playing this of a emi disc , very few people had the original  back then.

wow..and funnily enough i remember on one of my visits to the Highland room..prob late '74 or even 75..i heard 'thumb a ride'.. a little surprised (but glad nonetheless) as it was then an oldie and mecca policy was on the more groundbreaking stuff..wonder if it was the emi?.prob not...

Social source share

think K Gee was a Torch spin..certainly pre Wigan...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Despite being chief soul snob, love a good instrumental, often used to start any set with one, Romeos Loma and Frank Foster being the most notable. Normally they have to have balls and oomph, in the aggro soul camp, but the Holidays Making Up Time is soulful, yes I said that about an instrumental, it hurts. Detroit groove.

And yes Guys Backstreet, jeez. Not normally keen on instrumentals of vocals, good ones anyway, so teh Little Ann just sounds sadly missing something. Bari Track is one of the obvious exception. .

So thumbs up from me, but as always quality control needed, and more so with instrumentals.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

ive been hammering Bird walking never get tired of hearing it, easy to dance to as well even for me :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Was a big reactivation at Wigan, even got reissued

I always thought it was a brilliant "Modern" instrumental and still do!.........I bought it in 73 on the orange RCA, UK I think?

I have it now on a yellow Long version/short version demo.

Social source share

russ used to the play the instrumental to two tunes that havent turned up yet after years of searching...

be young be foolish be happy 

skiing in the snow

oddball i know 

I thought the inst to Skiing In The Snow was found to be the Wigans Abortion backing track. I may be wrong though.

Paul

Social source share

Still a place for instrumentals, the only place I've heard this:

Pied Piper Players - That's What love Is

Was at the Crescent Club in York, thanks Paul Dicko

Other's that deserve spin mentions:

ANY instrumental done by the Funk Brothers

Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie - Rosemary

Tempos - Sad, Sad Memories

Total Eclipse - Six O'clock

Andre Brasseur - The Kid

Detroit Land Apples - I Need Help

Wynder K. Frogg - Green Door ( seen the guy, fantastic)

Arthur Wright Orch. - Lay this Burden Down

and if this doesn't get you on the floor then consider a heart transplant:

Willie Mitchell - The Champion pt. 1

Would feel short changed if I went to an event and there wasn't an instrumental spun!!!!!

THH

Edited by the Happy Hooker
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!