Instrumentals - Bovvered?

Guest Andy Kempster

Don't think it was ever played out on the northern scene, may be i'm wrong

It got played at our local soul club (Paynes in Llandudno) as a new release, don't know about anywhere else, great tune btw. Another I remember as a 14 year old was Kool and the Gang by Kool and the Gang.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Still play 'em, certain ones are timeless. Never understood the 'no soul' part of the argument personally. Mike Terry, Dave Hamilton, Robert Bateman, Earl Van Dyke, Popcorn Wylie, etc had no soul? Yeah right!  Mirwood players soulless? Nah.

I guess it's about whether you're into the music as much as the singing, to me they are both of equal interest.  

Regards,

Dave

Metronome like 88s,  wailing sax break and vibes aplenty. get it down 'yer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyVGp9XpB-0

Always liked  Brown Sugar by the Watts plus loads of other instrumentals,still do  as for the arguement about not being soulful I still dont get that ,some may not be but theres lots of vocals about then and now that I personaly would call far from soulful, matter of taste ,of course it is.

Anyway what are some folk going to say if a bunch of the blues masters get together and during the session hit out a tune instruments only ,likes of B.B King,Otis Rush,Freddie King etc really making the guitars talk expressive as hell hell sax,heartbeat drum and bass guitar rythms flowing through you and the room around you "Naw mate,That aint the Blues! come on give us some of the real Blues with vocal." if you do look to get your arse kicked by everyone present..

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Always think it sounds like Zu Zu Man on whiz :lol:

John Weston gave me the nod about it awhile back,think he's played it out a few times.I've also given it the odd play recently & it doesn't seem that well known?

Cheers

Martyn

Was reasonably well known in the seventies and pretty easy to get an issue for pence,dont know why it later on seemed to put me in mind of the o jays ship ahoy for some reason,must be a train of connections in my mind somewhere,possibly brown sugar,the slave trade ,journey on slave ships to America from Africa,thats just the sort of frame of mind it sets in me when I hear it,maybe thats one of the many reasons why I think an instrumental can be soulful.Where the roots have come from

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Always a big fav. of mine. This could have been mentioned on the Wigan thread also.

Soulful Strings.

Like it, but always thought the drum track was like someone hitting a cardboard box. Prefer versions by s.o.u.l. and kenny burrell

Brown sugar is a version of zuzu man on a&m, not whiz

]

Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

Guest welshruss

175 post,s and not one mention of "Freddie McCoy"  Soul Yogi...........brilliant.

Although a few posts back some one did give a shout for another fave of mine - Jimmy Wisner,,Choppin Around.

Social source share

Always think it sounds like Zu Zu Man on whiz :lol:

John Weston gave me the nod about it awhile back,think he's played it out a few times.I've also given it the odd play recently & it doesn't seem that well known?

Cheers

Martyn

It was bootlegged about the same time as "Afternoon of the Rhino"... about 1973?

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Like it, but always thought the drum track was like someone hitting a cardboard box. Prefer versions by s.o.u.l. and kenny burrell

Brown sugar is a version of zuzu man on a&m, not whiz

]

Yes, I know what you mean about the drum sound, but the guitar and everything else in it is fantastic. i love the S.O.U.L version too but this was the first version for me and the dancefloor would heave as everyone in the room stomped or shuffled to it.

Social source share

have.nt had time to read the whole thread, but as anyone mentioned ..was it Motown brass, love on a rampage? storming instro to the perigents on Maltese i had on tape for donkeys years, still not sure if it was unissued c/u etc... can anybody can post a clip?

Social source share

A simple question to those who do not rate instrumentals. Given the choice which would you prefer to listen to. An acappella, vocal only version of a northern classic or the instrumental track to the same tune. For me unless it was a brilliant vocal group like The Dells, Whispers, Hesitations etc I would take the track every time.

Social source share

have.nt had time to read the whole thread, but as anyone mentioned ..was it Motown brass, love on a rampage? storming instro to the perigents on Maltese i had on tape for donkeys years, still not sure if it was unissued c/u etc... can anybody can post a clip?

Covered up originally but it was George Kerr. 

https://youtu.be/WGp9-GComK4

Thanx for the reminder! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Almost forgot Van the man!!

https://youtu.be/0tSBCbp6NOE

And a big Mecca/Rose Room spin for Tony Jebb.

https://youtu.be/iqoOhM4RE6c

Four o'clock in the morning nighter really banging,everyone up for it floor full, something like African Twist comes on  ,thats just the ticket,and you say instrumentals cant be soulful,the ones who do say this sort of thing should then try asking the floor of dancers on such a nighter floor at four o clock what they think, In my opinion its pure soul and northern scene soul to the core.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Love some instrumentals. Especially those Al kent Ric Tic releases. Also some Philly cuts like 'Waiting for the rain' and MFSB releases. Yes Pete, that Sidra's Theme. Different level.

So rare, not released yet. This, it's new, modern, probably doesn't tick the boxes, but..it's getting there. Demo right now, vocals nearly done.....release this month or early january. Press to vinyl - no way! Doubt it would sell any. 

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/loving-you-always-came-easy-instrumental-demo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!