Instrumentals - Bovvered?

Guest Andy Kempster

Can not understand why they chose Exus trek over ,if its all the same to you ,on the new film soundtrack ?

The vocal version makes it a soul record ,the backing is just a record with the soul removed !

But honestly think my fave instrumental goes to "are you ready for this " by the brothers .

Social source share

Can not understand why they chose Exus trek over ,if its all the same to you ,on the new film soundtrack ?

The vocal version makes it a soul record ,the backing is just a record with the soul removed !

But honestly think my fave instrumental goes to "are you ready for this " by the brothers .

nev..c'mon..exus trek was played preferred to vocal and its a stand out track..its so powerful...if you weren't there in '73 i can understand it..perhaps..if you were shame...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not seen a mention yet of any of the following:

Mike & Ike "Sax On The Tracks" Artic

Jimmy Wisner "Choppin' Around" Atlantic

Bob & Earl Band "My Little Girl" Jayboy

Spencer Davis Group "Trampoline" Fontana

Herbie Mann "Philly Dog" Atlantic

The Sounds Of Lane "Tracks To Your Mind" Cobblestone

AL Kent "You Got To Pay The Price" Rictic

Jr Walker "Tune Up" Soul

Prince Arthur & His Knights Of The Round Table "WAlkin' Uptown" ABC

Gerry & Paul "The Cat Walk" Fatback

Billy Butler "The Right Track" Okeh Instrumental

Ann D'Andrea "Don't Stop Looking" Jamie Instrumental

And the recently discovered James Bounty "Prove Yourself A Lady" instumental

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

nev..c'mon..exus trek was played preferred to vocal and its a stand out track..its so powerful...if you weren't there in '73 i can understand it..perhaps..if you were shame...

73, I was 9 and only interested in the osmands and Leeds United!

But by late 70's I was hearing both versions off the grapevine lp I bought to practice my dancing, preferred the vocal then and still do today!

P.s just remembered, best instrumental back in the day.... Condition red, just edged by afternoon on the rinho!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must admit I'm usually a vocal over inst man when there's a choice.The insts I listed earlier in the thread are genuine insts without vocals but I make an exception to that rule with the inst of The Contemplations(Rock Candy)-Alone With No Love by The Dontee Studio Band(B side of the Contemplations).

Social source share

For me an instrumental has to have drama: Guy's plays in the pocket, backstreet and Detroit Rhythm section has drama in buckets. Rip the dance floor up tackle.

Social source share

that arguments been raging for years hasn't it, I think both stand alone, play which ever you mood takes you...!!

Social source share

Not seen a mention yet of any of the following:

Mike & Ike "Sax On The Tracks" Artic

Jimmy Wisner "Choppin' Around" Atlantic

Bob & Earl Band "My Little Girl" Jayboy

Spencer Davis Group "Trampoline" Fontana

Herbie Mann "Philly Dog" Atlantic

The Sounds Of Lane "Tracks To Your Mind" Cobblestone

AL Kent "You Got To Pay The Price" Rictic

Jr Walker "Tune Up" Soul

Prince Arthur & His Knights Of The Round Table "WAlkin' Uptown" ABC

Gerry & Paul "The Cat Walk" Fatback

Billy Butler "The Right Track" Okeh Instrumental

Ann D'Andrea "Don't Stop Looking" Jamie Instrumental

And the recently discovered James Bounty "Prove Yourself A Lady" instumental

Dave

Slightly off topic,but does anyone know the artist/title to what sounds like the vocal to sax on the tracks,think it's "I refuse to be lonely"?

Social source share

Because it's 100 times better than the vocal version.

Said this before, I'd forgotten there WAS a vocal version until the scooter boys started playing it, had a good ten years with the instrumental.  Nobody touched the vocal.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Because it's 100 times better than the vocal version.

Said this before, I'd forgotten there WAS a vocal version until the scooter boys started playing it, had a good ten years with the instrumental. Nobody touched the vocal.

Which also confirms, you aren't into soul music, just happened to be into a scene that played music to dance to, so you could rebel against the rest of society and go behind your parents back... You naughty naughty boy :)
Social source share

The Soulful Two Fi Yi Dance? Pretty much forgotten now, I'll bet. Another big John Vincent instrumental was Audrey Slo Gonna Find The Right Boy on Swan, covered by him as Milton Wright Band Downtown. I know 'cos I bought the bugger off him for a fiver at St. Ives in 1979 still covered up. A proper instrumental, though the vocal is ear piercingly gross...

Social source share

HANK JACOBS!!!!! Elijah... Don't think I've ever passed on this one. Would sprint from the bog doing me pants up if it came on.

I'd certainly play this at home if I had a copy.

Fingersnappin' instrumentals like this do it for me - they add colour and life to a set.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Slightly off topic,but does anyone know the artist/title to what sounds like the vocal to sax on the tracks,think it's "I refuse to be lonely"?

Isn't it the Contrails (or something like that) I'd rather be lonely? Mike & Ike is called "Sax on the track (or "I'd rather be lonely)"

Social source share

Well I hope you lot are proud of yourselves?All this talk of inst meant that when I was out last night & just happened to browse through a sales box I came across an inst that's been on my radar awhile but I've not done anything about tracking one down (think Pete sold one recently) but as soon as I saw it all I could hear was you lot shouting BUY IT!!!!..........so you lot have got the blame to my missus :lol:

Any info on plays,venues etc would be most appreciated :thumbsup: 

The Queen City Show Band-True Patron Of The Arts Pow

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't it the Contrails (or something like that) I'd rather be lonely? Mike & Ike is called "Sax on the track (or "I'd rather be lonely)"

That's it !!! been racking my brains trying to remember the artist,like you say "I'd rather be lonely" is mentioned in both titles.Still prefer Mike + Ike though lol 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

martyn

not to sure on that mate.... Been on you tube some years now cracking instrumental  though from the Stafford era....

got it on a tape somewhere.

cheers Boff...

Boff

Is that the unreleased footage from the Wigan Shopping Centre promotional video  :wicked: 

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I hope you lot are proud of yourselves?All this talk of inst meant that when I was out last night & just happened to browse through a sales box I came across an inst that's been on my radar awhile but I've not done anything about tracking one down (think Pete sold one recently) but as soon as I saw it all I could hear was you lot shouting BUY IT!!!!..........so you lot have got the blame to my missus :lol:

Any info on plays,venues etc would be most appreciated :thumbsup: 

The Queen City Show Band-True Patron Of The Arts Pow

This was a £15 UK label collectors record for as long as I can remember then about ten years back someone actually started playing it and it shot up in price, going over £100 at one point, I struggled to get £50 for the UK Page One and US Pow ones last year though.

Social source share

This was a £15 UK label collectors record for as long as I can remember then about ten years back someone actually started playing it and it shot up in price, going over £100 at one point, I struggled to get £50 for the UK Page One and US Pow ones last year though.

Pete

Certainly worth a play imo,has an old school feel to it I think.

Paid half that for my Pow copy but not mint has some writing on the label & a few marks that you don't hear.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!