Ric Tic Review Hinckley 21/1/83

Mal C

• Replies 49
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just found a live tape of Major Lance 'somewhere', might be Hinckley again, anyone know where he played in 82/83 era, maybe he'll mention the venue...clapping is so loud on the tape

Major Lance : Live At Hinckley 13.11.82

I was there & also at the Ric-Tic review - smashing shows.  The Major Lance show was released on vinyl on Torch Records

Social source share

Just found a live tape of Major Lance 'somewhere', might be Hinckley again, anyone know where he played in 82/83 era, maybe he'll mention the venue...clapping is so loud on the tape

I've still got the live recorded LP somewhere with the flyer had some of my best nighters at Hinckley great memories

Social source share

Looks like I have two tapes of Major Lance, one is definitely marked November 82, the other says nothing, it's the other one I'm listening to at the moment

Pete I got a feeling he may have done Morecombe pier as well but it was a long time ago though - I have got him live on another lp live at the torch   

Social source share

Major Lance : Live At Hinckley 13.11.82

I was there & also at the Ric-Tic review - smashing shows.  The Major Lance show was released on vinyl on Torch Records

And I have your photo's to prove it!

I'll bring them to HooDoo next Friday.

Johnny.

Social source share

Just read the interview with Major lance at the stoke alldayer which followed his performance at Hinckley, which my future wife and I attended could not go to Hinckley on the Saturday night as I was at work that weekend, after which we went up to stoke to see him for his show on the

evening . I remember there not being many in attendance due to Hinckley, on the plus got shake his hand at end every time I hear one of his records I always think of that. Two months later went to Hinckley to see the Ric-Tic review one of the best nights ever, thanks Pete for bringing back great memories of a great period in my life.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went to the dayer at Newcastle (Staffs) Tiffs where Major Lance was playing straight after the nighter at Hinkley. It was poorly attended - couple of hundred in or so.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Went to the dayer at Newcastle (Staffs) Tiffs where Major Lance was playing straight after the nighter at Hinkley. It was poorly attended - couple of hundred in or so.

Razzamataz alldayer (formerly Jollee's caberet club)...I was there too...bought the T shirt :)

post-397-0-41043100-1416594000_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulechoes
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Has no one got any flyers? My recollection of the first Ric-Tic Revue @ Hinkley had Edwin Starr, Eddie Parker, JJ Barnes and I think a female artist (God it's so long ago - so I could be getting mixed up with later revues).

Martha Reeves did a concert @ Newcastle (Staffs) Tiffs, I think around the same time.

Social source share

Has no one got any flyers? My recollection of the first Ric-Tic Revue @ Hinkley had Edwin Starr, Eddie Parker, JJ Barnes and I think a female artist (God it's so long ago - so I could be getting mixed up with later revues).

Martha Reeves did a concert @ Newcastle (Staffs) Tiffs, I think around the same time.

Pat Lewis

Social source share

No Eddie Parker…..It was Al Kent and as Pete says Pat Lewis….Al Kent was a lovely guy, but only did one number as I remember….

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Lou Ragland was also on those Ric Tic Review shows. The package also played the Ritz in Manc (a Sunday alldayer I seem to recall).

Lou was brought in as a late replacement (for Laura Lee ?) as he had known Edwin for many years and was available to travel to the UK at short notice.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

No Eddie Parker…..It was Al Kent and as Pete says Pat Lewis….Al Kent was a lovely guy, but only did one number as I remember….

Steve, he is first on and plays fairly nondescript versions of Oooh Pretty Lady and You Got To Pay The Price, instrumentals, he doesn't sing anything, maybe he was band leader?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Now I know I am getting confused lol.

Eddie was certainly there at Hinkley at a Revue, 'cause I'm there watching him sing Love You baby.

Yep, Al Kent was at one too now you mention it.

Wish I could put my hands on the photo's .... grrr

Social source share

Nottingham Palais too, that too was a packer. I had the programme signed by the artists as well and lost it :(

Lou Ragland was also on those Ric Tic Review shows. The package also played the Ritz in Manc (a Sunday alldayer I seem to recall).

Lou was brought in as a late replacement (for Laura Lee ?) as he had known Edwin for many years and was available to travel to the UK at short notice.

Social source share

Now I know I am getting confused lol.

Eddie was certainly there at Hinkley at a Revue, 'cause I'm there watching him sing Love You baby.

Yep, Al Kent was at one too now you mention it.

Wish I could put my hands on the photo's .... grrr

Hi time does play tricks on our memories, but I see Chalky has now posted up the flyers….no eddie Parker…my memory survives intact - for now….LOL

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

the flyer got it right

the event of a lifetime it was

chris king - brilliant for bringing the acts over

ps

anyone remember the 1st anniversary at Hinckley where the glass doors were bending due to the amount of people trying to get in~!!

great days

Hi Fluff, yes I do! ! Wouldn't have known it was the Anniversary one though. That might have been the night I keeled over in the queue.....bit of a blur now. I went to one which was a packer and I wasn't too well and the crush of the queue did for me.

The only time that kind of thing has ever happened to me.....bizarre!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Did he travel alone?

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The Major Lance nighter was like that too, it was my then girlfriends first nighter and she was crushed near the glass doors. 

Hi Fluff, yes I do! ! Wouldn't have known it was the Anniversary one though. That might have been the night I keeled over in the queue.....bit of a blur now. I went to one which was a packer and I wasn't too well and the crush of the queue did for me.

The only time that kind of thing has ever happened to me.....bizarre!

Cheers,
Mark R

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest Maybole1599

I was there! With a mob from the 6Ts 100 Club.

Memories a bit fuzzy but had a cracking time.  Edwin was on top form,  I recall.

Edited by Maybole1599
Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 10:18, Roburt said:

went to ric tic review and about two weeks later on a sunday old fleet peterbourgh remember a tower in the room getting on top to watch the show and coming out to a foot of snow 

Edited by detroit
Social source share

On 02/12/2014 at 12:42, Byrney said:

Nottingham Palais too, that too was a packer. I had the programme signed by the artists as well and lost it :(

Hi Byrney remember the Palias event well got loads of photos of the artists  from that night Dale Winton was compare for the night as he was with radio trent at the time:thumbsup:

Social source share

On 02/12/2014 at 10:18, Roburt said:

I went to this at Manchester Ritz alldayer, 23rd January 1983.   M. C. was Richard Searling.

It was a great show.  My wife got all their autographs!  Edwin Starr, Lou Ragland, Pat Lewis, J.J. Barnes, Al Kent. 

It was a "Real Humdinger" as J.J. Barnes wrote with his autograph!  Lou Ragland wrote "I Travel Alone" with his!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, IanP said:

The bass player at hinckley was a coloured guy and pat Lewis didn't look like that lady when I saw her 

I went to a couple of live act events that year....may have been the other..but I had logged these photos as Ric Tic revue..perhaps someone else can help identify the artists and event then..cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!