Dr John

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

One of my all time faves just popped up, bizarrely, at the end of the Andrew Marr show on BBC1!!

Any fans on here?

Got loads of his stuff. Aside from official releases ('Babylon' is my fave) there was some material from the early / mid 60s that came out on several dubious LPs in the 70s. Plenty of rare soul appeal on those, Ronnie Barron 'Did She Mention My Name' 'The Grass is Greener' and a storming instro called (i think) 'Last Night Late'...

Anyone?

Social source share

Yes indeed. He's fabulous live. Saw him one time at the Band on the Wall and had a chat to him after. His accent was almost undecipherable! His hands are massive, which I guess is handy for a pianist. His autobiography - Under a Hoodoo Moon: The Life of Dr John the Night Tripper is some read. He was a rum lad when he was younger. 

Social source share

Guest son of stan

He was originally a guitarist but someone shot him in the finger in a dispute over payment for a gig. Or so the story goes...

He's an r'n'b/ soul artist without a doubt..but i think overlooked by many as his fanbase in UK were heads...

Social source share

The great thing about playing non-Northern gigs is that you always have an excuse to some classic Dr John in the box.

Dr John: Right Place, Wrong Time - Atco 45

But I guess the scenesters would at least be happy with this one:

Zu Zu Blues Band: Zu Zu Man - A&M 45

Have you watched any of the foo fighters sonic highways on the iplayer? The New Orleans episode features some good Dr John interviews/music plus Alan Toussaint, Neville Bros., Meters. Don't like the foo fighters really but the whole series is good if you like music documentaries and Americana.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of my all time faves just popped up, bizarrely, at the end of the Andrew Marr show on BBC1!!

Any fans on here?

Got loads of his stuff. Aside from official releases ('Babylon' is my fave) there was some material from the early / mid 60s that came out on several dubious LPs in the 70s. Plenty of rare soul appeal on those, Ronnie Barron 'Did She Mention My Name' 'The Grass is Greener' and a storming instro called (i think) 'Last Night Late'...

Anyone?

Andrew Marr interviewed him last week  too - he asked him of all the great artists he has played with who would he bring back to play with - he said 'Joe Tex'....

I saw him live at the Darlington Art Centre some 30 years ago - 1984 ish...it was notable for two things......a fight in the crowd and the fact after the show he collapsed back stage and was carted off to the Memorial hospital!!   on the same tour he actually fell asleep during an interview with the NME - so it is a great joy after all these years for him to be still with us and performing live.......

Mike 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The great thing about playing non-Northern gigs is that you always have an excuse to some classic Dr John in the box.

Dr John: Right Place, Wrong Time - Atco 45

But I guess the scenesters would at least be happy with this one:

Zu Zu Blues Band: Zu Zu Man - A&M 45

Played both of them out in my time - not Northern do's natch...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well just listening to the news about the Fergusson riots and the reporter happened to say "wrong place at the wrong time" a great Dr John track. I first heard his name in about 1969 when I was 14 by the older lads who knew their soul music but I remember Professor Longhair was talked about more. Never bothered to research him and I'm sure never heard much by him. Ade

Social source share

Recommend you check out Professor Longhair - got all of his Lps . Influenced so many - had a unique New Orleans rnb style and an amazing piano player. Been a big fan for 40 years ! Worked into a dj set at 'A Taste Of Honey' a few years ago - got a great reaction .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fa-OhPN3qU. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZLgJJ7bhQ. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PX1vwDe9Z94

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Love this one that he co-wrote and played on:-

From Al Robinson wiki:-

Robinson continued to record in his own name and as a session guitarist. He moved to Los Angeles, and recorded "Let Me Down Easy", written by King Curtis, for Atco in 1967.[1] He also began playing with Dr. John, and appeared as a guitarist on the albums BabylonDr. John's Gumbo, and Hollywood Be Thy Name,[1][6] as well as co-writing several album tracks with Dr. John. As a solo performer, Robinson recorded for Harold Battiste's A.F.O. and Pulsar labels; one of his recordings for Pulsar, "Sho' Bout To Drive Me Wild", featured contributions from many New Orleans musicians including Battiste, Dr. John, Jessie Hill and King Floyd.[

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Watched Dr John and his Night trippers perform at Bickershaw festival May 1972 at about 3am in the morning they did a fantastic set in the pouring rain  very atmospheric with voodoo themes influencing the New Orleans music Dancers, full band ect.

top performer Kind Regards Mick L

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!