Pete S

• Replies 53
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Any chance of a scan of 'Wreck a Buddy' - The Soul Sisters? No idea if that is rare. But that's a tune I remember well along with the Versatiles.

On a different note but still connected... I wonder what it was that pushed the music of black America to the fore, among white youth in the 60s rather than the music of Jamaica. They were played side by side. Was it availability I wonder?

Social source share

These great scans have inspired me to dig out 'Tighten up Volume 3'. There's a lovely instrumental on that called Leaving Rome by trumpeter Jo Jo Bennet. I was having a drink with a Sudanese engineer a couple of years ago and he was playing a piece of Classical Sudanes music that was so similar to this Jo Jo Bennet piece that - as we both agreed after I scooted off to bring him the Jo Jo Bennret to listen to - they were really the same tune. Interestingly, the Jo Jo Bennet - Leaving Rome was recorded before the Sudanese record. Barbwire is another nice record fronm that compilation.

Social source share

Yeah thats a nice tune that Jo Jo Bennett, I have that twice on single, one on the original Trojan then a reissue on Cactus from about 73 which is probably harder to find. They used that on a car advert a few years ago.

Barbwire is a tremendous record, got a few versions of this namely:

the techniques - you don' care (original version)

barbwire

meshwire (organ instrumental version by winston wright)

mosquito 1 - dj version by dennis alcapone

the great woggie ( another dj version by dennis alcapone)

buttercup (original backing track by tommy mccook)

Having said that - nothing really compares to tighten up volume 2, thats the cream of the cream of skinhead reggae I reckon. Queen of the world is another good track on volume 3.

Social source share

Fantastic scans Pete despite rubbing salt in to the wounds of a poor kid that no longer has her JA reggae and ska collection :angry: Ne'er mind, I content myself with looking at the flyers instead. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Social source share

This thread has made me root for stuff I haven't played in a long while. Playing the Gaylads at the moment. Great harmony trio. But probably the sweetest of Jamaican harmony groups that I have heard is the Meditations. I picked up an LP by the Meditations alonfg with great stuff by the Gladiators in the late 70s or early 80s.

post-1904-1099758549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!