Duke & Leonard - £250?

Soulstu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271673289036?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been banging on about this record in another thread, cos I love it...

Although this is pretty much my favourite northern soul record (hence the avatar) I understand it's not particularly rare and was never much of a floor filler back in the day... and today it's pretty much ignored.

Am I missing something?... or are these kind of prices the norm for a record that no one's bothered about much? (and it's a VG+ with an edge warp).

Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271673289036?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Although this is pretty much my favourite northern soul record (hence the avatar) I understand it's not particularly rare and was never much of a floor filler back in the day... and today it's pretty much ignored.

Am I missing something?... or are these kind of prices the norm for a record that no one's bothered about much? (and it's a VG+ with an edge warp).

That specific sellers "VG++" is most UK sellers "M-".

A lot of people watches that sellers auctions, and checks out the soundclips, which results in plenty of people finding out about a great 45 that they never knew existed.

That 45 should be three times the price of the recent auction based on quality and rarity. It's NOT an easy to find 45. Turns up about once or twice per year on eBay and I don't see many copies listed set sale from the major dealers or here on SoulSource.

I can't for the life of me understand why records like these should be cheap just because they "always have been"? Demand changes. It turns up for sale infrequently and it's fantastic.

"There are lots of copies in collections out there"... "I got this in a soulpack"... I hear you say. Well, as long as those copies don't hit the market the prices will understandably soar.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

That 45 should be three times the price of the recent auction based on quality and rarity. It's NOT and easy to find 45. Turns up about once or twice per year on eBay and I don't see many copies listed set sale from the major dealers or here on SoulSource.

"There are lots of copies in collections out there"... "I got this in a soulpack"... I hear you say. Well, as long as those copies don't hit the market the prices will understandably soar.

I think this one's stayed undervalued as it used to be on Soulbowl's list for £1.00 which indicates that John had quantity back then. It was certainly around in quantity in the mid 70s but I guess most of those have filtrated into collections by now.....

Ian D  :D

Social source share

I think this one's stayed undervalued as it used to be on Soulbowl's list for £1.00 which indicates that John had quantity back then. It was certainly around in quantity in the mid 70s but I guess most of those have filtrated into collections by now.....

Ian D   :D

Kev Roberts had a 200 box in 75........what a nice looking label as well!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hi..i had one bitd..which i bought blind when i spotted the title in a magazine or record list..loved the label design but the record beat was just off for me at the time..and i sold it...( i added a rubber stamp promo to the label i'd borrowed from a friend)  years later i came across the same copy in D Rais sales box..i prob sold it to him..it was about £20 when DR had it..not that common but the beat still sounds off or maybe the vocal..will always have its followers..another record i had at the same time was the modern redcaps on Lawn..same thing..the beat/vocals just off...

Social source share

Alaways amuses me that one as no one knows how many soul packs there was with any particular record in.  John Anderson himself said it might be a single figure count or it could be a couple of 100, whatever he had to hand and had trouble shifting at times.  

This one has been £120 or so for a long time but rarely turns up for sale and when i does it sells.  But there's never been much demand so proabbly the reason it stayed on the cheap side.  Deamnd has been slowly rising though of late.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ive been slipping this in for the last couple of years.at our local event .im by no means a dj..I do the earliest spot to do the warm up for the more experienced lads..theres never many in when im playing so its normally a empty dancefloor..it is a great record and im sure it will have its day..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!