Best Uk Tamla Tmg B Side?

Soulboyrecords

I'm not a British collector and do favor USA and € pic sleeves cuties, but I do have the occasional 45 UK pressings if there's not other way to own it on a seven incher. The only TMG I have (few others bits I still need) is the Isley Brothers 'I guess...' b/w 'it's out of the question' TMG683. Simply cheap'N'FAB !

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

when I saw this (Best Uk Tamla Tmg B Side?) first thing that come into my mind was Gladys Knight - NOCLYM

however, seeing as the poster beat me too it, I'll go for Edwin Starr - He who picks a rose

also quite partial to Jr. Walker - Nothing but soul (memories of Tony's E B/Room - Blackburn)

Social source share

Literally hundreds of excellent TMG B sides, what about these -  584 MIRACLES - SAVE ME  //   633 TEMPTATIONS - I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE   //   602 STEVIE WONDER - HEY LOVE   //   621 MARTHA & VANDELLAS - ONE WAY OUT   //   552 M. GAYE - WHEN I HAD YOUR LOVE   //   525 MARV JOHNSON - I'M NOT A PLAYTHING

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Four Tops - Where did you go.

Spinners - How can I.

Jr Walker - Tune up.

Martha Reeves - My baby loves me.   WRONG this is the A side.

Martha Reeves - Go ahead and laugh.

Contours - just a little misunderstanding.

Temptations - Don't look back.

Isley Bros - There's no love left.

Just off the top of my head - 500 series.

Cheers...........        Tom.  Banbury.

Edited by Becket
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a few:

The Temptations:

Beauty Is Only Skin Deep / You're Not An Ordinary Girl

TMG 578

Shorty Long:

Chantilly Lace / Your Love Is Amazing

TMG 600

Jimmy Ruffin:

What Becomes Of The Broken-Hearted / Baby I've Got It

TMG 577 -

Stevie Wonder:

Blowing In The Wind / Ain't That Asking For Trouble

TMG 570

The Contours:

It's So Hard Being A Loser / Your Love Grows Precious Every Day

TMG 605

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Personal choice I know but surely the Contours Just a Little Misunderstanding is the stand-out dance number, closely followed by - 

Temptations - I Want A Love I Can See

Tempts again! - Little Miss Sweetness

Four Tops - I'll Turn To Stone

also contenders - There's No Stopping Us Now, Stevies hey Love, Come Spy With Me and the Tops I Got a Feeling.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Ask any girl, Supremes, B side to Baby Love.  Fantastic sound and so underplayed these days

used to play this in mid 70's was quite a floor filler I think its not played now due to snobbery (Too cheap) see loads of copies during car boot season & junk shops

Social source share

This has been a cracking Thread so far - couple of things stand out for me...firstly I have come across some killer tunes that I've never played before - gonna flip all my TMGs and play the B this weekend.

Secondly - why aren't more of these tunes played out on the scene ? A few here have hinted it's snobbery as they are too cheap. That for me would be a shame

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

The pure trouser wetting bliss of the UK  TMG b/side (Motown the most succesful independant record label on planet bar none). Some cheeky choices already, here's a few more guilty pleasures:-

TMG 875b = 'Love' (the lonely peoples prayer)   Edwin Starr.

Charlies best tune b side of the dire 'you've got my pants on fire.

TMG 581b 'Where ere you' Brenda Holoway b side of 'Hurt a little every day'

TMg600b 'Your love is amazing' Shorty Long b side of 'Chantilly Lace'  same tune as 528b Four Tops, no the please

TMG 1025b 'Walk out the door if you wanna' Yvonne Fair. b side 'it's bad for me to see you, had plays out, covered as Tina Turner (good call)

TMG1021b 'all of my love' Eddie Kendrick  b side of 'He's a friend' .  Ed does Philly with Norm Harris

TMG1016b 'One Nighter' Dynamic Superiors.  b side of 'Deception'  great falsetto from Motowns first Gay lead, Tony Washington or was it Valentino?

TMG922b 'I will never let you get away' Jimmy Ruffin b side of re-issue  'Farewell', adios mi amigo RIP.

TMG 879b 'I'm falling in love with you' Diana & Marvin, b side of 'your a special part of me'.  A fifty pence floater, old swan LP same price priceless.

TMG822b 'I like your style' The Originals, second b side of 'God Bless' (Motown).  It's a maxi single three tracks, (remember the maxi skirt and Austin Maxi - yuk!)

TMG815b  'Let's make love now' Supremes & Four Tops (no THE) b side of 'Without the one you love.  Original version of Art & Honey's, Mowest/US Motown £200/£60 cover (Art Posey - yes that one and Honey Sessions).  It's better and will cost £2 ukip purple pounds, ditto from the most ludicrous Motown LP cover ever 'Return of the Magnificent Seven' as bad as the movies. Hasta Luego

Social source share

miracles  save me/i'm the one you need  tmg584

jr walker and the all stars  sweet soul/come see about me  tmg637

four tops  just as long as you need me/shake me , wake me tmg553

four tops  can't seem to get you out of my mind/do what you gotta do tmg710

frances nero  fight fire with fire/keep on lovin'me  soul

Social source share

Best British Motown B sides

I gotta let you go - Martha and the Vandellas   B side of  Forget me not    TMG762

Uptight - Supremes and Temptations  B side of Why   TMG730   

He's all I got - Supremes  B side of Itching in my heart    TMG560

Smooth sailing - Temptations B side of Take a look around    TMG808

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

This has been a cracking Thread so far - couple of things stand out for me...firstly I have come across some killer tunes that I've never played before - gonna flip all my TMGs and play the B this weekend.

Secondly - why aren't more of these tunes played out on the scene ? A few here have hinted it's snobbery as they are too cheap. That for me would be a shame

Get your talc and pumps and get to Towcester nxt week, played both Uptight AND Smooth sailing at last Towcester session......Uptight, listed above, went down REALLY well :) :) :)

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Once played a full set of b sides. Went down very well. Regarding snobbery I personally don't care how much the record costs. As for being to cheap have you seen how much the 500 series tmg go for these days now the snobs have discovered them.

Steve

Social source share

Got to agree with earlier post:  Four Tops - 'Can't seem to getyou out of my mind' - UK / European 45 only - B side to 'do what you gotta do'

Fantastic record - aways popular spin at Rudies Allo Dayers and Soul nites in Scarborough late 70's ealry 80's.

Also still the ultimate cheapie!

Adam

Social source share

Here's a few worthy of consideration:

MarV Johnson "Just The Way You Are"

Edwin Starr "If My Heart Could Tell The Story"

Martha & The Vandellas "In My Lonely Room"

Jr Walker "Cleo's Mood"

Four Tops "Since You've Been Gone"

The Spinners "Where Is That Girl

Willie Hutch "Just Another Day"

Willie Hutch "Talk To Me"

Four Tops "Don't Bring Back Memories"

Chuck Jackson "What Am I Gonna Do Without You"

Jimmy Ruffin "World So Wide, Nowhere To Hide (From Yuor Heart)

Smokey Robinson "Ever Had A Dream" Tamla

Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston " It's Got To Be A Miracle (This Thing Called Love)"

The Spinners "it's A Shame"

Chris Clark "Loves Gone Bad"

The Elgins "Stay In My Lonely Arms"

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!