Bit Of Advice Needed

Pete S

I bought this job lot of records and they weren't cheap - plus I had to add over 100 dollars postage -

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...00834%26fvi%3D1

now if you read the description it says "Conditions run the range from Near Mint to Good with most being VG to Near Mint". Well there are actually less than 50 records which are even sellable, possibly 10 are mint and they are all reissues, there are a few VG's but the majority are FAIR to GOOD. Useless in fact.

I have written to the seller and complained, this is his reply

"I have sold over 1/2 dozen lots of similarly mixed grade 45s and have received positive feedback on every one. You are the first to voice a complaint, and again I feel it to be a bit unfair. I suggested in the auction text that the winner could sell off or trade what they didn't want. And coupled with the exchange rate discount you enjoyed by paying in dollars instead of pounds due to the weak dollar, and the number of readily sellable 45s in the lot, your chances of coming out ahead in the end is very positive".

So any advice as to what I should do please? Do I have grounds for a complaint via paypal?

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Pete

Try Paypal, as you'll get nothing out of Ebay, they couldn't give a sh*t. The picture is clearly done to decieve. But you always take a chance on these job lots.

I've stopped buying them as I can't say they have ever been much good. There was one guy in Detroit offering soul in 1000 lots a few years back that just took the money and never sent the records. In the end a nice Detroit police man chased the whole thing down in his spare time and got a conviction, but not before the guy had take about 10 of us for alot of money.

Dave

Social source share

Hi Pete

Try Paypal, as you'll get nothing out of Ebay, they couldn't give a sh*t. The picture is clearly done to decieve. But you always take a chance on these job lots.

I've stopped buying them as I can't say they have ever been much good. There was one guy in Detroit offering soul in 1000 lots a few years back that just took the money and never sent the records. In the end a nice Detroit police man chased the whole thing down in his spare time and got a conviction, but not before the guy had take about 10 of us for alot of money.

Dave

Dave if he operated on ebay, I might have been done by him as well. I'll remember the name in a minute.

Social source share

I bought this job lot of records and they weren't cheap - plus I had to add over 100 dollars postage -

now if you read the description it says "Conditions run the range from Near Mint to Good with most being VG to Near Mint". Well there are actually less than 50 records which are even sellable, possibly 10 are mint and they are all reissues, there are a few VG's but the majority are FAIR to GOOD. Useless in fact.

"I have sold over 1/2 dozen lots of similarly mixed grade 45s and have received positive feedback on every one. You are the first to voice a complaint, and again I feel it to be a bit unfair. I suggested in the auction text that the winner could sell off or trade what they didn't want. And coupled with the exchange rate discount you enjoyed by paying in dollars instead of pounds due to the weak dollar, and the number of readily sellable 45s in the lot, your chances of coming out ahead in the end is very positive".

So any advice as to what I should do please? Do I have grounds for a complaint via paypal?

Hi Pete, I think PayPal is really your only option if the seller is taking that attitude. You can claim for "item significantly not as described" but you would have to get independant verification from a reputable record dealer and they don't give you much time to do it.

I'm always tempted by these lots as you never know what you might get but the cynic in me suggests that it is just US dealers clearing out crap. Also my wife would give me severe grief if large consignments of recors started turning up :thumbsup: .

Best of luck.

Social source share

I think his reply makes no points relevant to this transaction. Who cares if others are happy with the lots they received? You're not happy with your lot. Why should you try and flog off all the dross to get your money back? Who cares if the dollar is weak?

I'd certainly try and get the money back via Paypal as the goods are patently misdescribed.

Good Luck.

Social source share

Paypal is your best hope but it is very difficult to win a claim for 'not as described' especially when the auction says they are mixed in grade. It's also worth putting in a claim through eBay itself although again don't hold your breath. Best bet might be to mention to the seller that you are going to put in a claim to both unless he is willing to offer at least a partial refund due to the poor quality.

There is another way................PM me as I'm not going to mention it on the boards.

Social source share

That's the guy, got 3-5, but never got any money back, still one more crook of the streets

They actually got him did they? Any idea how? he actually left me negative feedback for complaining that he'd not sent me 500 dollars worth of records! Great news that he got done though.

Social source share

They actually got him did they? Any idea how? he actually left me negative feedback for complaining that he'd not sent me 500 dollars worth of records! Great news that he got done though.

This great police officer in Detroit Metro, just took a year in his spare time contacting as many people as he could that had been dealing with him, took statements plus any copies of emails we had, money order info etc and did him for fraud. The email thing was interesting, as in the states at the time they already accepted emails as a legal letter, which the UK didn't. So his email replies help bring him down.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Paypal

goods significantly not as described

Pete this is the only chance you got really,

paypal will will sort out if not as described and hopefully you could get some money re-imbersed,

god luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi pete,

you can complain to paypal and they can investigate - chances are though that you wont get anything back cos you gotta prove it.

But have to be honest - these lots are all 'taking a chance' lots - you got 400 discs for less than £300. Now if there had been a couple of £500 records in there you wouldnt have been complaining would ya? in fact you'd think you would have stitched HIM up.

Ive done this before4 - bought 100 old motown tracks for £40 inc postage - i know this aint £280 but they arrived and most were shite.

However, got to say it's amazing what you can do with fairy liquid blush.gif

I ended up with a couple of david ruffin tracks and a couple of oldies like junior walker - about £30 worth i reckon so i lost out - rest were binned.

Always a risk pete - many many lot sales are like that. you took a chance and lost.

Social source share

Hi pete,

you can complain to paypal and they can investigate - chances are though that you wont get anything back cos you gotta prove it.

But have to be honest - these lots are all 'taking a chance' lots - you got 400 discs for less than £300. Now if there had been a couple of £500 records in there you wouldnt have been complaining would ya? in fact you'd think you would have stitched HIM up.

Ive done this before4 - bought 100 old motown tracks for £40 inc postage - i know this aint £280 but they arrived and most were shite.

However, got to say it's amazing what you can do with fairy liquid blush.gif

I ended up with a couple of david ruffin tracks and a couple of oldies like junior walker - about £30 worth i reckon so i lost out - rest were binned.

Always a risk pete - many many lot sales are like that. you took a chance and lost.

Sorry, thats bollocks. It makes no difference what was in there or not - I knew what was in there and I'm not complaining about that (there was a Change Your Ways in there) - it's the fact that 80% of them are not in the condition described and are unusable.

Social source share

bookmarked this article a while back

us based and dunno how valid ...

any us based members who can give it the once over and see how legit the advice is

quite like the idea of phoning up the fbi blush.gif

full article up at

https://www.eb0la.com/main/content/view/24/12/

The following are actions you can take, that are 100% legal, to help you get your money back, or at the least, to punish the seller for his or her transgressions.

1. Go to www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm to file a mail fraud charge against the seller. Fraudulant sales over the internet is a FELONY! This process is slow, but in a few months, the seller will be getting heat and threats of jail time.

2. Go to: https://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp . This is the site for the FBI Internet fraud center. Yes, the FBI. I told you it was a felony to scam on the internet, and here is some major muscle to back your complaint. The FBI does not mess around. They do, however, take a LOOONG time to resolve the situation. But it WILL be resolved.

3. Call their local police department. About 10% of the time, they will tell you to file with your own local PD first, but either way go ahead and do it. You will be assigned a case number and in about two weeks, the police WILL be knocking on the door of the thief. Nothing gets a refund to you faster than two uniformed officers telling the cheat that they WILL be going to jail if the situation is not resolved. The police will give the seller about two weeks to settle it. If it is not, then they WILL go arrest him or her.

Social source share

This great police officer in Detroit Metro, just took a year in his spare time contacting as many people as he could that had been dealing with him, took statements plus any copies of emails we had, money order info etc and did him for fraud. The email thing was interesting, as in the states at the time they already accepted emails as a legal letter, which the UK didn't. So his email replies help bring him down.

Dave

Pete Lawson had the same thing with a guy from buffalo 82 ish.pete wrote to the local police and had the guy cautioned on fraud charges,whereupon pete got his money back.
Social source share

it also depends on what grading structure the people use

i only use the one from record collector magazine , everyone has different ideas on what is vg g ex mint etc and people put alot of +s infront etc

one mans ex record is anothers vg

were they graded on apperance , sight , playable etc

the best way is to try and go through paypal as goods not how they were meant to be , but if other people who bought similar lots said they were happy then you may have a job prooving it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!