Looking To Buy A New Record Deck/system

Steve Foran

Hi all hope this is the right place for this? I am looking to buy a new record player. Ideally an all in one deck/amp/CD/DAB radio. An old style music system would be ideal.

Anyone with hints or tips please on whats best on the market. Even just a record deck/amp and speakers. Looked on amazon and tinternet etc. Just so much stuff to consider. I reckon on a budget of £500 to £600 is about right for me.

Thank You.

Steve

Social source share

If space isn't an issue, there are some incredible bargains to be had in second hand hi-fi. A shop near where I live has literally tons of high end stuff that people had traded in for the latest trend. In fact he has had to stop taking trade ins because we all want the latest high tech gear, and nobody wants the old full size stuff.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally I would suggest you start with a good turntable ie SL1200/1210 if you shop around you can pick up used ones at good prices and just about every part of them can be replaced so they last forever then build around the turntable I have looked at so many system were the weakest link is a poor turntable

Good luck

Emidisc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi all hope this is the right place for this? I am looking to buy a new record player. Ideally an all in one deck/amp/CD/DAB radio. An old style music system would be ideal.

Anyone with hints or tips please on whats best on the market. Even just a record deck/amp and speakers. Looked on amazon and tinternet etc. Just so much stuff to consider. I reckon on a budget of £500 to £600 is about right for me.

Thank You.

Steve

Teac do a couple of equivalents to the old "all in one" music system -

https://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hi-fi/teac/lpr550usb/teac-lpr550-usb-blk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teac-TEA-LPP1000-BLACK-Turntable-Audio-System-with-Bluetooth-AUX-/361130062401?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item5415077241

I have no idea if they are any good perhaps others on here can comment on this.  There are several all in ones, but minus the turntable, from a few of the well respected hi fi name brands so you could go down this route and add a turntable of your choice.  I would also echo the posts above regarding 2nd hand hi fi equipment based on the experience of having bought various 2nd hand turntables, amps, speakers etc over the years.

EDIT -

EDIT 2 - A word of caution on the above in that it looks like these TEAC's use the same stylus as the new generation cheap USB decks so I'm not sure how kind to records these are going to be.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

I'd steer well clear of the USB type turntables, all the ones I've come across are of very poor build and sound quality. The Technics are great for playing out, but aren't at their best for home listening. The Pro-ject Essential II is an excellent low priced deck, although you have to move belts manually when swapping 33 to 45rpm. The Rega RP1 turntable is also an excellent value for money item, or look at Marantz. £500-£600 is a pretty low budget, so I'd ensure you have a good deck for starters, a poor amp/speakers may not sound great, but it won't ruin your records like a cheap/poor deck definitely will. Have fun.

Social source share

I have one of the Teac LPP1000 which I bought for almost £400 in May of this year. It has excellent sound and is decent quality. I'm using it to play my records that I am cataloguing. It is not as good as separates though. The lever that lowers the tone arm is a bit feeble and the radio isn't DAB, other than that it is very good. The ones on offer at £248 seem a real bargain, I wish I had waited 6 months. 

Rob

Ps: It is Bluetooth enabled, so you can play tunes off your phone if you want. 

Social source share

Thank You.

Steve

I've got an top-of-the-range Kenwood stack system including a seperate record deck up for grabs if you're interested. I still have all the instructions and the system includes:-

Record Deck

CD Deck

2 x Cassette Deck

Radio Tuner

Graphic Equalizer

Amp

2 Huge Speakers

This was the system that all the Mastercuts albums were compiled with and was given to me by Kenwood at the time, so everything's top of the range. Will probably need a good clean and general service plus one of the speakers will need a cone replacing and the deck will need a new stylus. I'd have kept it 'cos it's a king-hell system but I've run out of room. £400 if you can collect it. PM if interested.

Ian D  :D

Social source share

2nd hand hi fi has been mentioned so another possibility for the "all in one" box could be a Linn Classik. There are 2 models I bebieve, the original Classik and the later Classik Movie Di. These were around a grand when originally sold but can be had for less than £300 on ebay.  The down sides are that you'd have to buy a turntable, phono stage and speakers, plus a cassette deck if you needed one.  Also the radio is not DAB.  Assuming a £600 budget it should be quite easy to buy the other items 2nd hand and this should end up being a fine sounding system which could be upgraded when funds permit.  My own preference would still be to spend the £600 on separates starting with a good deck such as a Rega, Project or similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/linn-classik

https://www.whathifi.com/linn/classik-music/review

Social source share

No offence to anyone, but I had a Kenwood separates a few years ago which was fine when it was working. Trouble is I had to keep getting the CD deck cleaned and re set every few weeks. 

I have also tried the Project turntables because they were highly rated by the critics. I personally found them bloody awful. Pissing about with lead wieghts on bits of fishing line, and the volume was very low. Oh and changing belts. Not for me I'm afraid.

The Technics 1200 series may not be up to the sound quality of the Hi-fi geeks. But I'm not playing mint condition stereo albums, I'm playing US sixties 45's. It's more important to me that the deck has a strobe to enable perfect turntable speed, and is easy to set up and has bomb proof reliability with easy to get spare parts.

Please steer clear of buying any all in one music centre, because they always skimp on the turntable. Buying the very best separates you can afford is the way to go.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When I bought my first system many many moons ago, it was recommended to get the best turntable I could afford, then build the rest of the system round that.   :thumbsup:

So as phil has said, start with something decent like the technics a good cartridge and stylus, this then is a safe bet to protecting the records you have if set up correctly  :wicked:

you can add to it as you wish then, even a budget amp & speakers will sound good with a decent front end set up.

The choice is yours to what you spend on an amp, speakers, tuner, CD, etc and what you want from the system.    :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!