Trouble At Mill

barney

there have been 2 venues affected by serious problems this w/end with regard to drunks, drinks and disrespect ,

will not name the venues but one was supposedly an all ticket sellout  and the other was a free entry venue .

the first was plagued by people who bought tickets from the venue owners and apparently allowed people to pay on the door on the night ,despite the fact that it was advertised in events as sold out , the other due to an influx of drunks obviously not soulies spoiling the night for some ,.

both these venues and what happened have been aired on other social media sites and have caused some distress to the promoters and punters alike ,.

is this the sign of things to come following the release of the film or is it a general symptom of todays boredom with mainstream entertainment and  lets give this a try by some people who are not conversant with the nuances and etiquette of our scene .

Social source share

I only go local to me near mansfield so that's grovsnor-North wing etc not seen owt there but winding wheel gets some f..kin local twats in so stopped going my opinion only so don't shoot me down

Edited by jazz
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Greedy promoters / venue owners?

well one of the venues was free entry , the other was posted on here as a sell out turned out the owners of the venue allocated so many tickets to the promoters of the event and then sold the rest to who ever ,and then sold them on the door on the night ,. so don't think the greed of the promoter figures , venue owners definitely ,.

but then the owners of many venues insist on being able to sell tickets ,

the question for me is how can promoters police entry and who should be let in ,.

Social source share

there have been 2 venues affected by serious problems this w/end with regard to drunks, drinks and disrespect ,

will not name the venues but one was supposedly an all ticket sellout  and the other was a free entry venue .

the first was plagued by people who bought tickets from the venue owners and apparently allowed people to pay on the door on the night ,despite the fact that it was advertised in events as sold out , the other due to an influx of drunks obviously not soulies spoiling the night for some ,.

both these venues and what happened have been aired on other social media sites and have caused some distress to the promoters and punters alike ,.

is this the sign of things to come following the release of the film or is it a general symptom of todays boredom with mainstream entertainment and  lets give this a try by some people who are not conversant with the nuances and etiquette of our scene .

I payed on the door at a sold out venue last night. Why. like many others i had reserved my tickets to pick up on the door which had to be payed for.

I spend a lot of time at venues in foyers/ record bar areas and outside with the great unclean ( smokers ) and i didn't see anything last night that i don't see every week 

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

well one of the venues was free entry , the other was posted on here as a sell out turned out the owners of the venue allocated so many tickets to the promoters of the event and then sold the rest to who ever ,and then sold them on the door on the night ,. so don't think the greed of the promoter figures , venue owners definitely ,.

but then the owners of many venues insist on being able to sell tickets ,

the question for me is how can promoters police entry and who should be let in ,.

There were no tickets sold on the door last night, there was two huge signs saying "NO TICKET, NO ENTRY" some tickets were held on the door left in envelopes for those who had pre-ordered. Unfortunatly the owners of the venue sold 90% of the tickets through there own booking outlet. In this case, mine and your money is the same as everyone else. Personally I never saw any problems, but to be honest I left at 9.30 for the long drive home. Music was top notch from all the dj`s, lots of old friends who ive not seen for years and the venue itself is and always was a superb venue. As with all new events of this size there will be teething problems that need to be addressed, and I`m sure they will. But as you quite rightly say how do you police this?
Social source share

its definitely no secret and I am passing this on as hearsay because I was not present at either venue but both venues had threads on social media sites and have spoken to people who were present . but the photo I posted is real and was taken on the night , and although it does not warrant investigation by the soul plod it was indicative of what went on during the night ,

btw the events were in Wakefield Unity hall and Burnley fulledge.

read some of the comments on events .

Edited by barney
Social source share

There were no tickets sold on the door last night, there was two huge signs saying "NO TICKET, NO ENTRY" some tickets were held on the door left in envelopes for those who had pre-ordered. Unfortunatly the owners of the venue sold 90% of the tickets through there own booking outlet. In this case, mine and your money is the same as everyone else. Personally I never saw any problems, but to be honest I left at 9.30 for the long drive home. Music was top notch from all the dj`s, lots of old friends who ive not seen for years and the venue itself is and always was a superb venue. As with all new events of this size there will be teething problems that need to be addressed, and I`m sure they will. But as you quite rightly say how do you police this?

Harry

have been told that students could pay on the door and were allowed in .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

its definitely no secret and I am passing this on as hearsay because I was not present at either venue but both venues had threads on social media sites and have spoken to people who were present . but the photo I posted is real and was taken on the night , and although it does not warrant investigation by the soul plod it was indicative of what went on during the night ,

btw the events were in Wakefield Unity hall and Burnley fulledge.

read some of the comments on events .

I was present at Wakefield Barney & I can assure you there were no people admitted without tickets on the night.

As for the 'student' comments here are some pictures on this facebook link & I think they speak for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/ian.bower.96/media_set?set=a.10204522084307346.1073741960.1090165826&type=1&pnref=story

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was present at Wakefield Barney & I can assure you there were no people admitted without tickets on the night.

As for the 'student' comments here are some pictures on this facebook link & I think they speak for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/ian.bower.96/media_set?set=a.10204522084307346.1073741960.1090165826&type=1&pnref=story

as I have already said I was not there and what I have posted is hearsay , but look at the comments in events and the statement about students being allowed to pay on the door was posted on facebook but will accept yours and harrys that this did not happen ,.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To answer your question, nothing to with the film IMO which to be honest portrayed a gritty scene with some phet use so hardly likely to attract your usual beered up 50 something who now looks out of place at the townie bar. More likely part of what's been going on for the last few years; a nostalgia scene with little focus on Northern Soul's past ethics and an open door by some promoters to anyone who likes a bit of that Motown. Been on the cards for the last few years. 

Social source share

Maybe its time for the big pow wow between responsible  promoters who don't want to see the scene go downhill and have a universal membership card , don't know who could run this and maybe surplus monies could be donated to charity . and lets have a dual charging door policy . members pay price A on the door or for tickets and non members pay double ,.

to pay for extra doorstaff to police venues .

Social source share

That's actually a good point as I too would like to see younger people in venues, it is about the balance of letting a crowd in who look potentially interested and spotting the wide boys who are just there for a late drink and to give it the big one. It's also having door staff on hand who can spot knobheads and if after a few choice words they don't behave can volley them off the premises. The only instance of something close to hassle at Lifeline I've seen was a daft lad knobbing around and annoying dancers. Mick H dispatched him in seconds. Normal service resumed. 

There were a few younger folks there but your guess is as good as mine as to weather or not they were students.
The night was a Wakefield Unity reunion & it is about 35 years since I last attended as a spotty faced teenager & I for sure am pleased to see younger faces on this so called scene of ours.
Last night at Wakefield was mainly about faces from the past getting back together in the original venue & having a few beers & a dance to some great music from day's gone by.
If there are a few younger folks there too then that is great for the future of the scene IMO & they were treated to some fantastic tunes played in a great venue over a great sound system on original vinyl like the one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmthK_mfvBo

Social source share

Maybe its time for the big pow wow between responsible  promoters who don't want to see the scene go downhill and have a universal membership card , don't know who could run this and maybe surplus monies could be donated to charity . and lets have a dual charging door policy . members pay price A on the door or for tickets and non members pay double ,.

Barney. As you will know. Many years back. you had to have a membership of a soul club of some description to get you in and quite a few different venues/ promoters accepted each others membership cards as being acceptable. Don't see why this couldn't work now. A member would pay for example £10 door tax and a non member £15 but would get a £5 refund the next visit

Steve

Social source share

An interesting idea and one with potential. The practicalities and administration may be difficult and getting agreement between competing organisers will definitely be challenging. Consider 2 competing venues on the same night and getting them to come to an arrangement, one venue could be directing all the town dregs to the competitor event in the expectation of a big punch up whilst their venue comes out smelling of roses.

I suspect the practical answer is Promoters and organisers to engage the services of doors security staff rather than venue manager, if it can go wrong the promoter has the controlling resource to rectify problems rather than relying on a venue manager looking to increase alcohol sales.

Several non competing events could establish group memberships that are accepted by all the others but this has probably already been done by some events.

Social source share

Same experience as Jazz really, we go out every weekend around South Yorks / North Derbys - Notts etc and very very rarely see non-soulies gawping or trying to 'do the dance'.

There are some who look as though they've never danced 'Northern' in their lives, but you can see them mouthing the words to songs that you wouldn't expect them to know, so....

On the few occasions I've seen the odd drunk, or non-soulie, they didn't really seem to be taking the Mick, they were watching and trying to have a go - in fact I was talking to one youngish lad at an all-dayer, who was a bit drunk and seemed to know nothing about N Soul but to be fair, he really liked what he was hearing and was fascinated by the dancing. So there could be a positive side to the younger non-soulies turning up and having a look....but for the late middle-aged 'motown morons' there's no hope.

Maybe it's not as bad as you think Barney, you go to J36 and the like don't you?... I reckon we're OK for a while yet. Should be easy to spot the crap do's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A pow wow :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Not a chance.... They will just milk the cow till its dry....

We do have to watch what we put on this main wall as its gonna cause some real grief for promoters and others... Maybe stick to your own feedback/ experience and not some gossip.....

the reason why I started this thread was because its unusual to see disparaging posts in events the thumper mantra rules on here but to also see comments on another site with similar concerns is fairly unusual from my point of view , and although I did refrain from posting the actual venues it would have been easy for any semi educated person to deduce at least one of the events by looking in said events but as said and asked for its no secret and should be of concern to anyone with the welfare of the scene at heart ,. I did not intend to disrespect the promoters of these events and they are probably more reputable than most .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have attended venues the length and breadth of the country and bumped into a pisshead at every one who didn't have a clue about the music, usually in the bogs ! Either membership or not ! Somebody will get them in , whether it be promoters to fill the venue or mates of mates on the door to continue a continued piss up !

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

I only go local to me near mansfield so that's grovsnor-North wing etc not seen owt there but winding wheel gets some f..kin local twats in so stopped going my opinion only so don't shoot me down

I totally agree, I like a big drink as much as the next man, but never intend to upset anyone, I don't go there now for that exact reason, if you do drink so much, keep away from the dance floor and don't dance on the tables either (its not big and defo not clever).  Big problem creeping up on us, no?

Social source share

No gossip regarding Wakefield yesterday,its fact,I appreciate the Promoters have no control over who buys tickets over the internet and from the venue itself, but the place had more than its fair share of handbaggers and high heels on show.

Arrived at around 3pm with my wife,but by 8.45 we'd had  enough of ladies on the dance floor with drinks and afore mentioned handbags in tow,shame as I'd fond memories of the venue from the nighters in the 70's.I think this occurance is a problem the 'scene' faces at these large well promoted venues, as your normal punter sees no differance between a soul 'do' and a place just to have a drink and a ' boogie ' 

Social source share

Wakey's on my patch :( did I go - Not on your Nelly. Shortly after the do was event listed on here a work colleague told me that they had seen posters around town advertising the event, so concluded it was being promoted to the masses and knowing Wakey of old ( piss up capitol of west yorks ), decided in a nano second not to bother.

Will it be better a second time, I bet the promoter is hoping so, and good on yer for having the nuts to do it in the first place :hatsoff2: , but I think I will save my leather for another floor, unless I hear better reviews, soz.

Social source share

Nice one Martyn,nice to see us Hull lads still view the 'scene' in the same way !  

Hey Up Mick

You can take the boy out of Hull :lol:

Think it's time to round a few of the old Hull & Burnley lads up,use them as security at some of these "do's" think that'll thin a few of the newcomers out  :lol: 

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There's enough soulies on the scene that have worked the doors (badged up ) to be able to act as security and generally along side a local doorman who knows the problem makers on that particular patch working together they generally know who and who isn't soulies. It gets them a paid night out listening to this fabulous music that we all love so much.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes but rules are important.

Breaking the "no stilettos" on the dance floor is just the thin end of the wedge.

And what about that time Butch fell in a handbag and couldn't clamber out.

Tim Ashibende had to reach in and pull him out.

ROD

I'm impressed Mr Shard,

You have got to grips with 'quoting' posts, :) well done :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You can't beat an out of town venue, the only place i can think of thats in the thick of it is the 100 club.... generally good but on occasion they have non soul folk in.

I don't think this debate is cause for concern because on the whole "we've got it good"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's not the answer though Steve. You saw me at Radcliffe, I'd been drinking all night, (and was quite put out when they closed the bar at 5am, mostly because I didn't know it was closing and didn't have a drink left.) Yet I think you'll agree I wasn't causing any trouble, fighting, falling down drunk. In fact people see me at niters all over the country, where I drink as long as the bar is open, and I bet nobody can recall an occasion where I've been falling down drunk.(Yes I know, I've just invited all the piss takers to come up with horror stories from my past :lol: )

So why should I be penalised because of the actions of a few people (and it is a few) who cannot control their drinking.

I'm not saying I'd stop attending, but it would make me think twice about travelling across the country if I couldn't get a drink at the other end (Especially after the nightmare journey I had getting to Radcliffe). So it's not the answer. The answer is that the promoter has to be responsible for all ticket sales, and the venue has to be 'policed' properly, by registered security staff, preferably off the scene.

As a final note, I'd say if someone who was left handed caused trouble, would you ban all left handed people from a venue ?

I'm right handed so I'm not barred.

Seriously Dave. You have a very valid point. And I have got to agree with you.I wanted to get a round of drinks in and just like you discovered the bar had shut at 5am without I'm aware of last orders getting called.unless we didn't hear it.

My statement punished everyone unfairly. Without really thinking it could and would affect people like yourself who in my opinion are the backbone of the scene.

I like you know helped run a very successful nighter. We never had any problems because of the way it was promoted, run and managed. But not every event is the same and run like winsford used to be. We never had the need to make it a ticket only event through website's which makes/takes it out of your control re ticket allocation.

Steve

Social source share

That's not the answer though Steve. You saw me at Radcliffe, I'd been drinking all night, (and was quite put out when they closed the bar at 5am, mostly because I didn't know it was closing and didn't have a drink left.) Yet I think you'll agree I wasn't causing any trouble, fighting, falling down drunk. In fact people see me at niters all over the country, where I drink as long as the bar is open, and I bet nobody can recall an occasion where I've been falling down drunk.(Yes I know, I've just invited all the piss takers to come up with horror stories from my past :lol: )

So why should I be penalised because of the actions of a few people (and it is a few) who cannot control their drinking.

I'm not saying I'd stop attending, but it would make me think twice about travelling across the country if I couldn't get a drink at the other end (Especially after the nightmare journey I had getting to Radcliffe). So it's not the answer. The answer is that the promoter has to be responsible for all ticket sales, and the venue has to be 'policed' properly, by registered security staff, preferably off the scene.

As a final note, I'd say if someone who was left handed caused trouble, would you ban all left handed people from a venue ?

So Dave, are you saying you want to drink till 6 or 7 then get in your car and drive, would you register on the breath test?

Social source share

Think of your health Dave

Hmmm, good comeback !

Ok, I'll have a think.

Phew ! Glad that's over. The point I was making was that I can happily drink all night without drinking to excess and getting drunk. It's not a question of volume, it's a question of pacing what you do drink

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!