Marvelows / Pat Powdrill - Do It

Dean

Perplexed as to just how scarce the Marvelows version of Do It is? I'm looking at a guide that lists it as £20. None on Discogs, non on popsike, whilst there's a page full of Pat Powdrill on popsike. I can recall a few years ago playing the Marvelows out and recognised collector/DJs asking who it was? Is this overlooked because it's too common or is it just simply under the radar?

I was going to try and pick up an issue (got an abc demo) before posting but just not seen one come up?

Any info? Dean.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Perplexed as to just how scarce the Marvelows version of Do It is? I'm looking at a guide that lists it as £20. None on Discogs, non on popsike, whilst there's a page full of Pat Powdrill on popsike. I can recall a few years ago playing the Marvelows out and recognised collector/DJs asking who it was? Is this overlooked because it's too common or is it just simply under the radar?

I was going to try and pick up an issue (got an abc demo) before posting but just not seen one come up?

Any info? Dean.

Manship has a copy for £25 on GEMM.

Social source share

great double sider.....issues are rare.".do it.." covered by Pat Powdrill on Downey (LA) and "ive got my eyes open" Channels on Groove (NY?)..not sure whose version was first..last one they recorded before becoming "the Mighty"......the tracks arent on the ABC lp.....IGMEO is killer brassy heavy beat.. typical Johnny Pate prod......would sound super at a venue.......highly recommended...

Social source share

"Do It" by The Marvelows was a regional hit.  I used to see lots of white DJ issues and a lot more store stockers.  It was a pretty common record when it was out.  It was played all over The Midwest and The South.  The Pat Powdril release was pretty rare.  I don't believe it was played anywhere (even L.A. , where it originated, and where Pat lived). 

Social source share

great double sider.....issues are rare.".do it.." covered by Pat Powdrill on Downey (LA) and "ive got my eyes open" Channels on Groove (NY?)..not sure whose version was first..last one they recorded before becoming "the Mighty"......the tracks arent on the ABC lp.....IGMEO is killer brassy heavy beat.. typical Johnny Pate prod......would sound super at a venue.......highly recommended...

the Marvelows 'I've got my eyes on you' (1965) is a cover from the Channels (1964) but IMHO kills it by miles. The musical arrangements are heavier and the vocals... I do love the other Channels 45 on Groove but not IGMEOY next to the Marvelows !

Social source share

"Do It" by The Marvelows was a regional hit.  I used to see lots of white DJ issues and a lot more store stockers.  It was a pretty common record when it was out.  It was played all over The Midwest and The South.  The Pat Powdril release was pretty rare.  I don't believe it was played anywhere (even L.A. , where it originated, and where Pat lived). 

Are you sure to have seen a lot of stockers of this one 'do it' ? I've seen a lot of stockers for their 'I do' (previous release on ABC) but never nowhere a stocker of 'do it'. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it must be rare since even the few promos popping up from time to time are scarce. It's not so well known or in-demand but indeed the 'I've got my mind on you' by the Marvelows is a real killer that if better known should over rule the Channels version one day !

Social source share

Any info? Dean.

I love this record have an issue .never see copies when digging in the USA .would they turn up more if it was in demand ??i am sure they would but how many??i was always told it wasn't played because it was too fast

You mean a stocker of the Marvelows 'do it' b/w 'I've got my eyes on you' on ABC-Paramount ? If so a scan please ?

Social source share

Any info? Dean.

Great great record that is. Pat Pow.. is strange and OK pop IMHO. It shows how "deejay&orcollectors" can be ear-blind. The Marvelows don't command much money but for 20£, I'd be willing to buy few to supply my sales box. In my experience it's not rare but less common than any other numbers by the band. 

Social source share

Are you sure to have seen a lot of stockers of this one 'do it' ? I've seen a lot of stockers for their 'I do' (previous release on ABC) but never nowhere a stocker of 'do it'. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it must be rare since even the few promos popping up from time to time are scarce. It's not so well known or in-demand but indeed the 'I've got my mind on you' by the Marvelows is a real killer that if better known should over rule the Channels version one day !

I definitely meant "Do It" rather than "I Do".  i didn't mean to imply that it was a big charted hit like "I Do" was.  Just that it was played on the radio in Chicago (Illinois/Wisconsin/Indiana areas) and was sold in stores as store stick. That means it was not rare in store stock form.  It wasn't abundant or omni-present, but i did see store stockers of it, say, maybe 20-25 times.  But, I never saw that old label design (on the Japanese one above).  I saw it only on the newer style that most of the 10800 -10900 series used.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!