Four Tops Vs Temptations

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ahh jesus Col.............. this is a hard one but the question was asked so.......

the Temps just shade it for me & the reason is i remember seeing them on some tv show when i was a kid & there stage act & mike set up really caught my imagination :shades: & they had a certain Ruffin brother in there group.

Social source share

levi stubbs one of the voices of the 20th century unlike the four tops about to appear at skeg this summer one of the group claims to be related to freddie gorman how do they get away with it the splurge even notes their induction to the hall of shame sorry fame and all those mugs will think they have seen the four tops

Social source share

the Temps just shade it for me & the reason is i remember seeing them on some tv show when i was a kid & there stage act & mike set up really caught my imagination :shades: & they had a certain Ruffin brother in there group.

Yeah but the Temps did go a bit wibbly/wobbly in the 70s with their "psychedelic soul"

At the same time the 4 Tops were churning out stuff like this

Would love a good argument, but I'm actually sitting on the fence with regard to this one.

Four_Tops___Just_Can_t_Get_You_Out_Of_My_Mind.mp3

Social source share

Maybe Pete Smith could do a better link?

I CAN see the video but I didn't. :shades: Sorry, I'm not at my home so I have a very slow net connection :wub:

Cheers

Social source share

Yeah but the Temps did go a bit wibbly/wobbly in the 70s with their "psychedelic soul"

At the same time the 4 Tops were churning out stuff like this

Would love a good argument, but I'm actually sitting on the fence with regard to this one.

I liked the psychedelic stuff, to be honest i`m with you i love em both.

Levi Stubbs or David Ruffin :shades:

Social source share

Argument ? Debate ? Discussion ? Bollox - The Tops every time over the psychadelic could have beens - yes they had Dave Ruffin (for a while) and did some half decent stuff - did they ever turn up at Morecambe ? No Did they record Four Tops, Second Album - Just as Long as You Need Me, I'm Grateful, SOMETHING ABOUT YOU, No !

Compare how many classics we revere that were on early Tops albums - Amazing

Tis like the old Lambretta v Vespa "argument" there is only one true way and the Tops win every time - ask my neighbours !

Social source share

smiling faces sometimes, ball of confusion, papa was a rollin' stone, psychedelic shack, cloud nine...

wouldn't consider them wobbly at all, I'd even use the term masterful creations.

step forward mr.whitfield por favor...

the flip side to 'do what you gotta do' is also a crackin' track, but everything in its place, as the spaniards say.

black protest, social consciousness etc;

& they had cause enough to protest, no?

this kind of music was a good vehicle for it. I don't think detroit on the 4's tub thumping would have worked very well in that context...

Edited by macca
Social source share

levi stubbs one of the voices of the 20th century unlike the four tops about to appear at skeg this summer one of the group claims to be related to freddie gorman how do they get away with it the splurge even notes their induction to the hall of shame sorry fame and all those mugs will think they have seen the four tops

Sent an Email to the Embassy at Skegg never answered as the Tops were in Boston

USA on the same night

rip off

:shades::wub:

PS 4 Tops V Temps

DRAW

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Four Tops Vs Temptations

Who's the best - too close to call?

No contest,

One lead singer versus four

David Ruffin, Eddie Kendrick, Paul Williams, Dennis Edwards

Took this pic at one of their last concerts....

Halos are for angels :wub::shades:

eddie.jpg(post-1832-1155245157.jpg

Social source share

Maybe Pete Smith could do a better link?Thanks Pete!

Have to agree with Dante 100%. For me the Temps original lineup were the best male soul group fullstop. Had the whole package.

Lineup-wise in that clip, I'd go for the Tops tho ...

Social source share

Four Tops were fantastic no doubt. Badly after an mp3 of 'Is there anthing that I can do'. They were due to fly on the ill-faited Pan Am Lockerbie flight, but fortunately missed it.

However the Temptations in their prime, were imo untouchable ..

One for the fence sitters;

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

:search:

Have to agree with Dante 100%. For me the Temps original lineup were the best male soul group fullstop. Had the whole package.

Lineup-wise in that clip, I'd go for the Tops tho ...

Thanks! :shades: Great video heh

BTW, did anyone see that movie about the Temps? It was in two parts of 1:20 or so each.... :search:

Social source share

:search: Thanks! :yes: Great video heh

BTW, did anyone see that movie about the Temps? It was in two parts of 1:20 or so each.... :search:

Yeah superb, was on Sky not so long back. Think Chalky got the twin box set out of Morrison's bargain bucket for two quid or sommat silly. Boot sale find. :shades:

Here you go.... :yes:

Thank you very much :wub:

Cheers. :yes:

Social source share

Four Tops were fantastic no doubt. Badly after an mp3 of 'Is there anthing that I can do'. They were due to fly on the ill-faited Pan Am Lockerbie flight, but fortunately missed it.

However the Temptations in their prime, were imo untouchable ..

One for the fence sitters;

">

Social source share

smiling faces sometimes, ball of confusion, papa was a rollin' stone, psychedelic shack, cloud nine...

wouldn't consider them wobbly at all, I'd even use the term masterful creations.

step forward mr.whitfield por favor...

the flip side to 'do what you gotta do' is also a crackin' track, but everything in its place, as the spaniards say.

black protest, social consciousness etc;

& they had cause enough to protest, no?

this kind of music was a good vehicle for it. I don't think detroit on the 4's tub thumping would have worked very well in that context...

Got to agree with 'macca' here, I know it wasn't N Soul but the "Masterpiece" album really was just that !! Still one of the favourites in my collection.

Still love the Tops but i think the Temps just edge it for all round constant quality, some of the Four Tops stuff did have a tendancy to be a little bit on the pop side whereas i don't think you can say that about any of the Temptations offerings.

Add "Save My Love For A Rainy Day" into the mix & i think it's case concluded :shades:

Social source share

The Tops for me, just about, but at their peak the Tempts were amazing, particularly the David lead tracks.

The Tempts DVD is brilliant and I also found it moving.

I was just listening to the Tops and the Tempts last night, with a glass of Glenlivet, on a Bose music system and I said to my wife, "Does life get any better than this"?

I often say to people, how did Berry Gordy do it? The Tops, Tempts, Miracles, Supremes, Stevie, Martha, Marvin, Tammi, Contours, Originals, and all the others, along with Norman Whitfield, Valerie, H-D-H, Funk Bros etc. etc. all at once on the same company, at the same time.

We don't know how lucky we were and still are!!!!!!!!

Dave Moore and Roger Williams. You are out and out Top Guys. Thanks. He is absolutely over the moon. He is like a kid at Christmas. Thanks again.

Social source share

Four Tops for me by a long stretch, can't come up with any scientific reasons just to say that the Four Tops especially tracks like 'Bernadette', 'I can't help myself', 'Standing in the shadows of love', 'Wonderful baby' et al just sent shivers down my spine the first time i heard them & still do now, even now if i heard one of these tunes at any do i'd be straight on the floor.

The Temptations are a fantastic band & maybe if you added it all up on some kind of Soulful points basis may come out on top, but for me they haven't got the Four Tops tingle factor!

Simon

Social source share

Tops. No, Temps. ..... tho on second thoughs, Tops....... No Temps. Deffenatly the Temps. Hang on I've changed me mind again - Tops...... Oh I dunno! :P

Social source share

The Tops for me, just about, but at their peak the Tempts were amazing, particularly the David lead tracks.

The Tempts DVD is brilliant and I also found it moving.

I was just listening to the Tops and the Tempts last night, with a glass of Glenlivet, on a Bose music system and I said to my wife, "Does life get any better than this"?

I often say to people, how did Berry Gordy do it? The Tops, Tempts, Miracles, Supremes, Stevie, Martha, Marvin, Tammi, Contours, Originals, and all the others, along with Norman Whitfield, Valerie, H-D-H, Funk Bros etc. etc. all at once on the same company, at the same time.

We don't know how lucky we were and still are!!!!!!!!

Dave Moore and Roger Williams. You are out and out Top Guys. Thanks. He is absolutely over the moon. He is like a kid at Christmas. Thanks again.

The Tempts DVD,was very very good I learnt alot from that, actually Paul Williams was my fave lead singer, the great great tune " I want a love I can see " is Paul.brilliant

the Tempts for me every time

The tops were a pop group

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest SteveC

Here you go.... :P

Total magic - dug this out and was playing it circa 92/93 when Solent Soul Club started out.

Cannot choose between them (Tops and Temps) - no I'm not fence sitting merely can't or never could decide between the excellence of Levi and David/ J Edwards.

Somethings are just best left to enjoy such as these two quality acts.

Social source share

I have always thought that the greatest male soul voice ever was Levi Stubbs for the pure emotion of the voice,but having just listened to David Ruffin on My whole world ended I don't know who shades it ,the Tempts on the early stuff or the pure brilliance of Ask the lonely by the Tops ,somebody has said Motown is shite on this forum ,I love it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!