The Best Stafford

steve z

Perhaps my memory playing tricks then Tony. Not for the first time.

Can we have wishes on this list? I wish this was a cheapie

Inverts - Time will change.

Beautiful song, first played by SS's Gene-R before Guy made it popular at Stafford I believe.

Inverts is not that easy to find these days i've just recently paid quite a bit for a Broadway demo, never seen or heard of an issue, now that would be nice on Gold logo...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 91
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Gavin Page

I have this superb record on Gina possibly a little harder to find.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Simple, wonderful soul music ! Had not heard this for ages sounds great again !!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Inverts is not that easy to find these days i've just recently paid quite a bit for a Broadway demo, never seen or heard of an issue, now that would be nice on Gold logo...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Look Out Love on Tower by them also brilliant Mark :thumbsup: & a bit cheaper too I suspect

Social source share

What amazes me is all of your ability to remember certain records being played at certain venues all those years ago. How do you all remember? Did you buy them at the time aiding memory or is there something else that makes you remember?

Social source share

What amazes me is all of your ability to remember certain records being played at certain venues all those years ago. How do you all remember? Did you buy them at the time aiding memory or is there something else that makes you remember?

Suppose its simply down to stuff being first played at certain venues or hammered at certain venues that jogs the memory Karen, and with venues like Wigan & Stafford being such a big part of the scenes history I suppose that it is easy to relate to type of tunes played at these venues....make sense? smile.gif doubt it!!

Social source share

And soulies didn't visit as many venues as they might do today so there was less chance of hearing them out and about? Gotcha... thanks for that smile.gif

Social source share

And soulies didn't visit as many venues as they might do today so there was less chance of hearing them out and about? Gotcha... thanks for that :thumbsup:

Not sure about that, back in the 80's was doing two all-nighters a weekend, two soul nights as well and often a dayer somewhere. Plenty of nighters on offer back then.

Social source share

Not sure about that, back in the 80's was doing two all-nighters a weekend, two soul nights as well and often a dayer somewhere. Plenty of nighters on offer back then.

yes but nothing like now Chalky and certainly not as many local soul nites etc. also unless you had a car a lot of them were unreachable in the wigan days where most people let the train take the strain. a lot of us were too young to drive too.....bit off topic this (Karen's fault....again :thumbsup: )

Grant

Social source share

yes but nothing like now Chalky and certainly not as many local soul nites etc. also unless you had a car a lot of them were unreachable in the wigan days where most people let the train take the strain. a lot of us were too young to drive too.....bit off topic this (Karen's fault....again :thumbsup: )

Grant

maybe Grant but I think we had more choice with regards to nighters. Soul nights we just went to one were ever the nighter we went to was, or one close by. As for local soul nights probably one a week, now 6 a week :D anyway thats a different arguement :thumbsup:

back to the music......anyone mentioned Lee Bates...just seen one for sale on here :shhh: Quality :P

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Not sure if it was just a TOTW tune, or if its still cheap. but Tommy Navarro

"I Cried My Life Away" still gives me goose bumps when I hear it! :thumbsup:

Social source share

never bothered with soul nights, but off nights and off to Coalville on the Friday, travel to the match on Sat afternoon, Stafford Sat and Notts Palais Sunday was always a good run - especially as I could nip up to me mams for a bit of snap Sunday evening. 51 bus to Worksop Monday morning and train to Lincoln to get me back for Monday evening shift!!

No wonder I can't remember much - but (I lost my love In) The Big City by the 'Daniels' on Lantam is still a fave of mine, which I first heard back in the day at Stafford (and his still very cheap methinks) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't remember this being played a TOTW, but I did get 15 copies off Koppel at the time and played it at the 100 club as Leon Washington and Paris Junior!

I used to spin the "Put The Hurt On You" side out me sen years ago. Anyone got a spare, cheap whistling.gif wouldn't mind a copy back.

Social source share

Out-a-sights - my womans love on Saru (covered up as Clyde McPhatter Tried So Hard), great record and still cheap.. unlike 'for the rest of my life'

No Stranger To Love-Glenda McCloud

Social source share

Some records are not far off what I paid for them at the time...of couse some have turned up in quantity

Wilbur Reynolds - Who'll cry - I think I've seen for less than £100 for excellent w.coast double sider - Is <£100 cheap nowadays! I remember when Guy had made this massive at Stafford and played it at Thornton allnighter - the room exploded!

Of course Guy also played the vocal to Sweeten as well but I think that may fetch still.

Danny Moore - Somebody new - £75, probably get it for £50 - This would have set you back stacks at the time

Limitiations - I'm lonely, I'm troubled - not sure if this was early Stafford tune for Keb? but what an intro - defintely one for dancers. Seen cheapish at <£50?

Superiors - I'd rather die. Pretty sure this was early Keb play. £50 or less on Sue?

Bill Lucas - Cause I know your mine, Dionn - I think one of Dean's cover ups. Pretty sure this is a cheapie

Gordon Keith - Look ahead, Calumet - think this is still cheap unless it went back up again

Paul

Social source share

Was going to suggest Charlotta Tillman-Baby I'm serious-Josie. But I see someone has just put it on the sales section for £80 and sold it.

yep Sorry Dave ;-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No Stranger To Love-Glenda McCloud

I bought a copy of this not long after Stafford had finished. It cost £35

Having read different reports I dont think I got a first issue tho. Anybody have any idea when the 'other' copies were circulated?

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

World's Funkiest Band "When You're Alone" California Gold, c/u as George Jefferson, can still be got cheap, same record as Buddy Conner on Breakthrough at a fraction of the price,.

And every bit as good whistling.gif

Four Sonic-If it's wasn't for my baby-JMC. Great Detroit 70's floater, I also have a unreleased version by the band with a male vocal, even better. thanks Gav

It needed a good home !

Social source share

Limitiations - I'm lonely, I'm troubled - not sure if this was early Stafford tune for Keb? but what an intro - defintely one for dancers. Seen cheapish at <£50?

Gordon Keith - Look ahead, Calumet - think this is still cheap unless it went back up again

Two fantastic records IMHO - Limitations - not one I've seen about that much - Love it!

Gordon Keith - Used to be a staple 15 quidder - Seen ones as much as £75!

Rich

Social source share

stafford_group752.jpg(post-3008-11559272Off topic a bit but here's a photo of the infamous dealers corner in the main room. boy do there look young

Never has so much denim been worn by so few....

This also looks like one of the rare times when someone else is looking after Mr Dobson's sales box as he possily ventured onto the dance floor? :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

stafford_group752.jpg(post-3008-11559272Off topic a bit but here's a photo of the infamous dealers corner in the main room. boy do there look young

Dean looks the same today. He has had Botox mind :wicked:

Social source share

chris morgan, who am I

lou d washington, smokey

the franciscans, walk to the bottom of the sea

"smokey" a gis discovery on his firsttrip to the states ,pete lawson persuaded him to cover it as someone or other "man with a burning heart"and got keb or guy to play it at stafford,didnt stay secret for long ,Gis was so exited about his first discoveryhe told any one who asked who it was :yes:
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

"smokey" a gis discovery on his firsttrip to the states ,pete lawson persuaded him to cover it as someone or other "man with a burning heart"and got keb or guy to play it at stafford,didnt stay secret for long ,Gis was so exited about his first discoveryhe told any one who asked who it was :D

:yes::( Nice Story

Social source share

I can tell you who three are as I took the photo.

Dean, Guy, Butch and Dave(His Imperial Dimness).

But don't know who the one in the back is anyone got any ideas My apologies to dim and gilly for confusing them blush.gif

I can tell you who three are as I took the photo.

Dean, Guy, Butch and Dave(His Imperial Dimness).Thats four Dave :rolleyes:

But don't know who the one in the back is anyone got any ideas

Social source share

On second look I realised it was Butch. I must scan in some my old pics from that point. I have some very good one's of Lorraine Chandler and Eddie Parker. It's difficult to think it was 20+ years ago. I still miss Pete Lawson.

I noticed Snake Davis is still going and was playing at a music festival in Bromley recently - I wonder if he covered any Detroit numbers?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not 100% sure on the mystery man in the photo, but it does look like a guy called Mike from the Newbury/Bracknell area I think. He would often hitch to Stafford, and we'd give him a lift back as far as Almondsbury afterwards. I'd say he was slightly older than me, so about 45 now??

He always wore a brand new white shirt with the creases from the packing still in. I have never seen him anywhere else, so as its 20 years since I've seen him, I cant say for sure.

Social source share

"smokey" a gis discovery on his firsttrip to the states ,pete lawson persuaded him to cover it as someone or other "man with a burning heart"and got keb or guy to play it at stafford,didnt stay secret for long ,Gis was so exited about his first discoveryhe told any one who asked who it was :D

c/u as Gino Washington, Pete sold it to me at the 100 club, Keb lent it to play a couple of times but, we could never agree a swap.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!