Ric Tic Originals - Styrene Vs Vinyl

Sunnysoul

Is it not generally accepted that all original US Ric Tic issued 45's are styrene with machine stamped ZTSC and stuck on labels  ?

And that any vinyl Ric Tic 45's are bootlegs / counterfeits with the exception of Edwin Starr's "Agent Double O Soul"  and also with the exception of the pre 1964 issued records by Joyce Webb etc ?

Is it possible however that the dark red vinyl moulded label scratched ZTSC Laura Lee  "To Win Your Heart"  was  -   like Agent Double O Soul   -   also pressed at several different plants on original release and may in fact be an original issue ? 

Like this ?

321442956578.jpg

And what about the Laura Lee lighter orange styrene   -   not red -     issues that exist , like this ?

200338401897.jpg

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Was there REALLY an orange "To Win Tour Heart"?  Don't forget that many scanners distort colours.  Golden World and Ric Tic's earlier series was issued in 1962, rather than 1964.  I don't remember seeing any pressings of "To Win Your Heart" frm RCA and on vinyl.  All the legitimate pressings I saw were on styrene, and from Columbia Chicago/Terre Haute.

Social source share

Was there REALLY an orange "To Win Tour Heart"?  Don't forget that many scanners distort colours.  Golden World and Ric Tic's earlier series was issued in 1962, rather than 1964.  I don't remember seeing any pressings of "To Win Your Heart" frm RCA and on vinyl.  All the legitimate pressings I saw were on styrene, and from Columbia Chicago/Terre Haute.

Robb, even allowing for the variation of colours/shades from scanning, there seem to be more than a few light orange examples on popsike , apparently sold as originals, and also some on darker red vinyl ...

Social source share

The JM price guide has lengthy notes on the Laura Lee issue copy. One of the notes says that originals have a scratched in matrix. Looking at my copies up to RT 118 seem to be mainly scratched matrix numbers. The later blue swirl label seem to be stamped.

Social source share

Early blue ones (Freddie Gorman) in the 'proper' Ric Tic series are stamped. Red ones appear to be all scratched in.

My copy of Headline News is scratched on the A side and stamped on the B side. although the stamp isn't as pronounced/deep as on the blue swirl.

Edited by maslar
Social source share

Is it not generally accepted that all original US Ric Tic issued 45's are styrene with machine stamped ZTSC and stuck on labels  ?

And that any vinyl Ric Tic 45's are bootlegs / counterfeits with the exception of Edwin Starr's "Agent Double O Soul"  and also with the exception of the pre 1964 issued records by Joyce Webb etc ?

Is it possible however that the dark red vinyl moulded label scratched ZTSC Laura Lee  "To Win Your Heart"  was  -   like Agent Double O Soul   -   also pressed at several different plants on original release and may in fact be an original issue ? 

Like this ? And what about the Laura Lee lighter orange styrene   -   not red -     issues that exist , like this ?

I'm convinced you're right. I have a JJ Barnes bought early in 1972 from Martin Koppel (in his early days) can't believe it was being booted then I'll take it even further not all Okeh singles have stamped matrix Don't want to discuss issues can have scratched matrix numbers as can Motown singles that come out of the Monarch plant in LA.

Social source share

The JM price guide has lengthy notes on the Laura Lee issue copy. One of the notes says that originals have a scratched in matrix. Looking at my copies up to RT 118 seem to be mainly scratched matrix numbers. The later blue swirl label seem to be stamped.

Any chance you can scan and post Mr Manship's comments on the Laura Lee record?

Is he saying that original vinyl issues of Laura Lee do exist ?

Social source share

Any chance you can scan and post Mr Manship's comments on the Laura Lee record?

Is he saying that original vinyl issues of Laura Lee do exist ?

He says that the original is styrene with a paper label. The 1970 repros are vinyl with a moulded in label which is more orange than red. Hope that this helps. 

Social source share

Like this ?

321442956578.jpg

I've had that vinyl copy of Laura Lee, and can definitely say it's a boot for two reasons:

1, The sound quality is, to be quite frank, shit. Even if it looks mint it has poor sound in comparison to other Ric tic releases..

2. The print quality upon close inspection is also poor by Ric Tic standards.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've had that vinyl copy of Laura Lee, and can definitely say it's a boot for two reasons:

1, The sound quality is, to be quite frank, shit. Even if it looks mint it has poor sound in comparison to other Ric tic releases..

2. The print quality upon close inspection is also poor by Ric Tic standards.

And that just didn't exist in the '60s or I'd have seen it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!